Kenny Burrell "Freedom" Blue Note LP

monkboughtlunch

What's the cover look like??  Thanks!!

LP cover and discussion:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...l=kenny+burrell

Yeah I started that .......I have it now and it is truely wonderful and needs releasing on cd as soon as they can as the whole lp is lovely.

Half the lp is in the vein of Midnight Blue .....the other half is another killer set so they cannot go wrong. Shame is the other rarities of his came out on the Introducing Kenny Burrell Vol1&2 two fer and the same with Blue Lights so there is no spare to chuck this out with ........whether they will make it a single cd or not ..........who knows.......certainly they have put out a lot riskier and alot worse too :lol:

I for one would buy the cd

Since only 26 Mins were recorded for this session on Oct 22,1964,Blue Note could combine it with a new release of" Midnight Blue" with bonus tracks. Most of the participants were on both sessions .

A fine idea but since Midnight Blue has come out as a regular reissue and an RVG, they'd have done that already. Hopefully though it is on Michael's radar and we'll see it out in the same form that he originally produced it for the Japanese market.

i have a burn of freedom,which clocks in at 38 min. when i first heard of mighty quinn, i emailed them and asked that they consider:

1) jeremy steig-wayfaring stranger

2) frank foster-manhattan fever

3) kenny burrell-freedom

just trying to get the rest of the bn catalog released by someone.

Mike,The Blue Note discog lists 5 tunes recorded @ the "Freedom " session

1-Love,Your Spell 4:45

2-Freedom 4:49

3-Lonesome Road 5:15

4-G Minor Bash 5:56

5-K Twist 4:43 Time= 24:08

Is there other material ?

Edited by Bill B

well, my burn has the 5 tunes,from 10-22-64, mentioned by bill b. and the 3 tunes, from 3-27-63, mentioned by michael fitzgerald. there is also one other tune, i hadn't anyone 'til you, from 4-2-63, for a total of nine. this is exactly what is listed in the japanese jazz critique blue note book, on p. 434.

edit for spelling,duh.

Edited by mike casinghino

Are Freedom, G Minor Bash, and K Twist original compositions by Burrell?

Mike

The LP Freedom also included 3 tunes from March 27, 1963:

The Good Life

Stairway To The Stars

Loie

Yes,these are Burrell compositions. Thanks for the clarification on the 38 mins.

The other two are Kenny Burrell compositions indeed, but 'Freedom' is credited to Ben Tucker on my vinyl!

i have a burn of freedom,which clocks in at 38 min. when i first heard of mighty quinn, i emailed them and asked that they consider:

1) jeremy steig-wayfaring stranger

2) frank foster-manhattan fever

3) kenny burrell-freedom

just trying to get the rest of the bn catalog released by someone.

Please keep us informed!

The Steig was the only Blue Note, but intended for release on Sonny Lester's Solid State label and transferred to Blue Note (like others, incl. Thad Jones/Mel Lewis) after Liberty bought both labels. I'd rather opt for a Mosaic or a Mosaic Select with the total of five Jeremy Steig LPs for Solid State, Blue Note and Capitol, all produced by Lester. If you add the Mike Mainieri Solid State that was Steig's first major recording, it's probably too much for a Select. I always wondered about the degree of familiarity with the Steig LPs among Organissimo members .....

mikeweil, the reply i received from mighty quinn stated, we are looking at two of the recordings that you mentioned, but will not comment on titles until we secure the rights. quite awhile ago,i sent an email to blue note asking for a doubletime release of jeremy steig's three solid state recordings: this is j.s, legwork,& wayfaring stranger. the reply was, they would consider releasing a single,best of, cd. double ugh!!! i see mighty quinn has put the titles to their next release on their website. ray nance-body and soul, and roy ayers-west coast vibes, both scheduled for march 2006.

It was Howlin for Judy that blew my mind when I heard it......I have another track on another compilation ( I think) and that was good so yeah I could get into a set or even a cd by him........However the Freedom set would (even if a little short) would be more than worthy an issue on CD. It sounds really good too

However either would be cool :D

mikeweil, hell, your idea sounds good to me. i will send mosaic an e-mail to suggest a select with the three solid state and two capitol recordings. jeremy steig also has a website flutehereorhear he also has a new cd out. the steig quartet appears monthly,at the cornelia st. cafe,in nyc. i am going to try and make it down there for a show.