Looking for Harold Land - The Peace Maker

felser

Forget this one. Let it go.

I disagree, and would note that this album comes after the point Chuck identified as the point where Harold Land started losing his interest, due to Harold's pursuit of what was then hip, or something like that. So his opinion, as considered as it is, may not be the definitive one.

I'd watch ebay, or else email Mr. Tanno and see if he can beat DG's price.

I reviewed it for Down Beat (11/28/68) and gave it ***1/2 out of *****. Memory (don't have the album anymore) tells me that's about right. (Excerpt: "Except for 'Imagine,' the tunes are written by Land, and they all seem to scale the same modal mountain.") A harmonica feature for Donald Bailey doesn't help. Didn't know there was another drummer who played the harmonica, did you, Randissimo? Or maybe you did.

• 9 months later...

Damn, I think this is a great record. I've never really liked Harold Land's playing, but this side made me revise my opinion. If you like Land with Hutcherson, my guess is that you'll like this one a lot. I actually like the harmonica feature a lot — it doesn't even sound like harmonica on the album, but rather a melodica. I swear you can hear keys being depressed.

At any rate, I wanted to give this one a vote of confidence. I think it fits comfortably with a recording like Medina/Spiral. (And I personally find it more enjoyable than Total Eclipse.)

I have to speak up and say that "Peace Maker" is one of my favorite Land-Hutcherson collaborations. If you like Harold Land's Mainstream albums from the 70's or their Blue Note album entitled "San Francisco" you will love this one. I would characterize it as more of a mellow mood creating work than straight out blowing. I find the vibes-tenor combination is ideal for that kind of stuff.

My personal rating is 5 out of 5!

Don

Damn, I think this is a great record. I've never really liked Harold Land's playing, but this side made me revise my opinion. If you like Land with Hutcherson, my guess is that you'll like this one a lot. I actually like the harmonica feature a lot — it doesn't even sound like harmonica on the album, but rather a melodica. I swear you can hear keys being depressed.

At any rate, I wanted to give this one a vote of confidence. I think it fits comfortably with a recording like Medina/Spiral. (And I personally find it more enjoyable than Total Eclipse.)

Guest akanalog

as someone else interested in purchasing this album i find all these comments very useful though i am still undecided if i want to shell out the $$$ for this album.

donald bailey on drums worries me as i imagine things will be straighter and more boring than i would hope for.

For those who didn't know this album was reissued again in September; I believe it comes in jewelcase this time. The price is 1800 Yen, about $15. Including shipping from Hiroshi Tanno it shouldn't be too much over 20 dollars to the US.

There have been previous threads about the merits of this album. I think it's good rather than great, but far from forgettable.

aka — I'd say Bailey's playing is fairly "straight" here, and unobtrusively so (kinda like Jimmy Cobb), but not really boring per se. Tony Williams he isn't, but that doesn't seem the point of this record. The whole album's never really fiery, but Land doesn't simply toss off solos on automatic. The "modal" vein of the proceedings has him thinking, and his improvisations are, at least to me, full of interest. So, The Peace-Maker is not "intense," if you're looking for that, but neither is it dull. Hutcherson, as always, is in good form, too.