Album of the Week: August 24-30

Late

A great choice for AOTW and something I'm very happy to reaquaint myself with. Criss is on fine form here, playing as well as he has anywhere, with his soaring alto and very agreeable soprano. His playing is beautifully cushioned by Horace Tapscott's bottom heavy, yet varied, arrangements for the accompanying nine piece band. Criss is the chief soloist but Tommy Flanagan shines in his spots. Conte Candoli and Teddy Edward both get brief solo turns.

This is fine music easily recommended. My only question is should I get the cd to get the two alternate takes?

Sonny's best. With arrangements by Horace Tapscott, this is Criss' flagship album IMO. An atypical outing by Sonny with tunes that are at once angular and haunting. Once you hear this album, it takes days to get it out of your head. Sonny's solos are superb, soaring and adventuresome.

Excellent choice.

This was the first Criss album I ever heard. I was really impressed with it. I haven't listened to it in a while, but for me Criss and Tapscott were two highly underrated musicians. I've picked up quite a few Criss albums (avoid the Impulse ones - oof!) and I have a couple Tapscott cds, but I'd really like to hear more of Horace.

Nice choice!

:rhappy:

Indeed, a true masterpiece. The pairing of Criss and Tapscott was an inspired one, and the results have a very real "flavor" that something like ""Up Up & Away" just can't accomodate. That's not a slam on "Up...", just an observation as to the power and the nature of Tapscott's material.

Indeed, a true masterpiece. The pairing of Criss and Tapscott was an inspired one, and the results have a very real "flavor" that something like ""Up Up & Away" just can't accomodate. That's not a slam on "Up...", just an observation as to the power and the nature of Tapscott's material.

You mean Sonny Criss playing "Up, Up and Away" isn't the shit? :D

Is it me or did Coltrane perhaps have the strongest and most positive influence on sax players of his own and even slightly earlier generations? Art Pepper, Harold Land, Sam Rivers, Wayne Shorter, Jimmy Heath, even Charlie Rouse -- all these individuals were "tested" in some way by Trane, and emerged as more individual improvisors as a result. I would add Criss to this list on the basis of this record.

Whatever the case, Criss' playing on this album is almost too intense, too excoriating for words. He sounds like a man finally liberated from... SOMETHING. (Remember how Teddy Edwards described the man, as "a closet full of coats with the shoes underneath".)

He sounds like a man finally liberated from... SOMETHING.

"Other" people's music, perhaps? If not necessarily other people's musicians...

Remember the time and the place where this music was made. Remember the initial concept. Remember where Criss spent the majority of his career playing when not on the road. Remember that video of Criss, Teddy Edwards, and Sweets. Remember the audience therein.

THAT'S what I hear on this album, and hell yeah, liberation rings from every note, and not just musical.

You mean Sonny Criss playing "Up, Up and Away" isn't the shit? :D

Oh, that's beautiful all right, but a different kind of beauty it is.

Is it me or did Coltrane perhaps have the strongest and most positive influence on sax players of his own and even slightly earlier generations?

Probably so, but the irony is that he had just the opposite effect on generations after him. Or at least on many segments of those generations. Go figure.

Is it me or did Coltrane perhaps have the strongest and most positive influence on sax players of his own and even slightly earlier generations?

Probably so, but the irony is that he had just the opposite effect on generations after him. Or at least on many segments of those generations. Go figure.

Ahh, the Reagan-Marsalis revisionist legacy... :wacko:

Not sure what you mean, but I'm refering to the countless succession of Clonetranes, those players who keep thinking that if they just try a little harder to do it JUST LIKE TRANE DID, that they can get to where Trane was, and by missing the point entirely, they get further, not closer. The result is several generations of players who pretty much sound alike in tone and vocabulary. Generic Trane. Yuck. You hear them everywhere all the time.

THAT'S what I was referring to.

Edited by JSngry

On a sour note. A friend of mine who plays bass, said he used to be in a pretty bad blues band in Cali.,....one upside of the gig was Sonny Criss used to come in regularly and sit in.

...disturbing that this was the fate of such a great player as Criss.

Also, I was at a Q & A with Jimmy Heath last year when someone in the audience asked Jimmy about Criss. Heath couldn't have been more disdainful of the Criss's playing, HIGHLY overrated was the nicest of his comments about Criss's work.

EXACTLY!!!

On a sour note.  A friend of mine who plays bass, said he used to be in a pretty bad blues band in Cali.,....one upside of the gig was Sonny Criss used to come in regularly and sit in. 

...disturbing that this was the fate of such a great player as Criss.

Also, I was at a Q & A with Jimmy Heath last year when someone in the audience asked Jimmy about Criss.  Heath couldn't have been more disdainful of the Criss's playing,  HIGHLY overrated was the nicest of his comments about Criss's work.

Those are interesting comments coming from Jimmy Heath. For me, it is just the opposite. Sonny Criss would be very high on my list of most underrated jazz artists. So who are you going to believe? Me or Jimmy Heath? :g:g

I have always loved Sonny Criss. There is something about the way he gets into the blues, twisting and turning them, that penetrates deep into my soul. Among altos, only Bird and Ornette can do the same to me.

As for Sonny's Dream, that is one of those albums that I have always wanted to like much more than I actually do. I am also a Horace Tapscott fan. Combining Tapscott and Criss (and finally giving Tapscott an opportunity to record some of his music) was an inspired choice. The record is unique. As has been mentioned, Criss' playing is often very impassioned.

So why am I unable to enjoy this disk as much as many of Criss' and Tapscott's other records? I am not really sure. But it may have to do with two factors. I tend to like Criss in a more loose atmosphere that leaves him room for a lot of invention. Although he plays well throughout the album, I get the feeling that Criss never feels comfortable enough here to really "step out" in the way that he does on more familiar blues and standards. Second, I think that Tapscott's music gets a lot of its force from his own unique brand of hard-driving and pulsating piano, which is unfortunately absent here. (Although complaining about Tommy Flanagan is something like blasphemy against jazz.)

At any rate, this is a record that I play quite often under the expectation that someday I will fall deeply in love. It hasn't quite happened yet.

Edited by John L

This has prompted me to revisit my [small] Criss collection.

The more I listen to Sonny's Dream, the less it reminds me of his other records.

It's an outstanding cd, albeit a short one. With the 2 alternates it comes up to 45 minuts.

As far as the alternates themselves, the main reason to hear the alt. of Sonny's Dream is for McKibbon's bass, which has way more "meat" on it than the LP take. Wish the whole cd had more low end on it. But that's how most of these early 90s OJC's sound.