Fats Waller Vol. 6

jazzbo

JSP has just released their sixth volume of the Fats Waller commercial recordings.

Worlds Records just added it to their site (www.worldsrecords.com).

Wow. This was a really done project by a label I'm not always that enthusiastic about.

Thanks for the update. I'll be getting this, to add to Vols. 1 - 5.

(Not being contentious, but why are you not enthusiastic about JSP sometimes? When/why do they disappoint?)

No, I haven't bought any of the "stolen sets" I've listed or others. But I have bought the Fats Waller sets. Had much of this on the King Jazz cds, fourteen of them, but passed those on to my father, a great big Fats Waller fan.

Still just an observation, not meaning to be accusitive, but, isn't this a sort of Variable Virtue? Sorta, "I'd never buy their stuff unless I want it..."?

Or is it because these seem not to be a rip-off of anyone but RCA Victor, but they're in public domain, so....

It's damn hard to decide, isn't it? :wacko:

I'm not claiming any virtue, I'm no angel on these things. These seem to be new remasterings for JSP by Ted Kendall from 78s etc. from collectors. It doesn't seem to be a rip from someone else's remasterings. They're presented chronologically and I think they sound better than the King Jazz and the RCAs I've heard.

So. . . I don't think they stole these, I think these are their productions, and yes I wanted to have a comprehensive Waller cd collection, didn't have all the RCAs, and I went for it. If I felt these were just remakes of the RCA boxes, I'd look for those. . .

These seem to be new remasterings for JSP by Ted Kendall from 78s etc. from collectors. It doesn't seem to be a rip from someone else's remasterings.

Correct, they were mastered from 78s. To my ears Ted Kendall was a bit too generous with CEDAR noise reduction.

Curious which part(s)/aspects of Cedar you think he uses too much.

No idea, I'm not an expert, but he uses CEDAR for noise reduction; the 5 JSP Fats Waller sets I have sound rather "dead" to my ears, though not as bad as the RCA sets that were issued in the 1990s.

Edited by J.A.W.

No idea, I'm not an expert, but he uses CEDAR for noise reduction. The 5 JSP Fats Waller sets I have sound rather "dead" to my ears, though not as bad as the RCA sets that were issued in the 1990s.

Cedar is a suite of tools and each can be used to different degrees. Much too broad a stroke to complain about the system. He might deaden the sound before using Cedar. You never know unless you know what he's using and how. It is like blaming Studer for a lousy recording.

Since you edited to talk about the RCA sets, they were done over an 8 year span with different tranfer and mastering engineers. Some of the later sets sound wonderful. Once again, too broad a stroke.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

No idea, I'm not an expert, but he uses CEDAR for noise reduction. The 5 JSP Fats Waller sets I have sound rather "dead" to my ears, though not as bad as the RCA sets that were issued in the 1990s.

Cedar is a suite of tools and each can be used to different degrees. Much too broad a stroke to complain about the system. He might deaden the sound before using Cedar. You never know unless you know what he's using and how. It is like blaming Studer for a lousy recording.

I know CEDAR is a toolbox, but I get the point; I shouldn't have mentioned CEDAR specifically.

The Studer reference is funny - I used one for the botched Lee Konitz recording back in the 1970s...

Since you edited to talk about the RCA sets, they were done over an 8 year span with different tranfer and mastering engineers. Some of the later sets sound wonderful. Once again, too broad a stroke.

I didn't edit to add the RCA sets, I edited a minor error; and I don't agree - though the later sets did indeed sound better than the earlier ones, to my ears they certainly did not sound wonderful. To each their own, I guess :)

Edited by J.A.W.

So - to the minds and ears of those who may have listened to each and every re-re-remastering ;) - how do the two Fats Waller LP boxes and the additional individual LPs (Black & Blue LP series) reissued bvy FRENCH RCA in the 70s/80s (and including his entire studio output, so it seems) compare to all these CD sets?

They are not THAT elusive either and they do sound OK to me (though I admittedly am a vinyl nut ;) ).

So - to the minds and ears of those who may have listened to each and every re-re-remastering ;) - how do the two Fats Waller LP boxes and the additional individual LPs (Black & Blue LP series) reissued bvy FRENCH RCA in the 70s/80s (and including his entire studio output, so it seems) compare to all these CD sets?

They are not THAT elusive either and they do sound OK to me (though I admittedly am a vinyl nut ;) ).

I've never heard the French RCA LPs, but I'm told by someone who's also a vinyl nut that they're OK.

Edited by J.A.W.

• 1 month later...

just about CEDAR - it actually does attenuate some highs; with mulitple passes, the decrackle and de-click will both do so - the de hiss has other problems if used badly - but bad sound can have many related causes (poor A to D converters, for example). JSP, from an email I got from the owner, currently does very little of its own sound work - it mainly copies from other sources - my guess is that most of the bad de-hiss we hear these days is non-CEDAR. I can usually tell because it leaves these metallic artifacts, weird background sound (I have gotten this myself from cheap de hiss programs). The guy to stay away from is Steven Rosenthal, who has ruined some of the Alan Lomax Library of Congress stuff (and he also did the fairly recent Woody Guthrie, unfortunately). Air Show is another mastering house with mixed results, some better than other, but they often use too much de-hiss, which can be heard sometimes as a kind of "breathing" sound (the hiss recedes and than comes back in response to sound pressure).

so, the deadness can be bad converters; or too may de crackle/de-click passes without upper frequency adjustment. The last also can leave some audible distortion, a kind of gutteral sound which sounds like someone clearing phlegm from the throat, and it tends to happen with sudden transients. You would be shocked to hear how much major label stuff has this, but I think it's the pressure to remove all noise, which is a big mistake, I think (listen to the opening of Weatherbird on the last Armstrong box - there's a quick flash of audible CEDAR distortion). To me the greatness of digital mastering of analog sources is that we can increase the clarity and detail (I love a good digital eq, for example). Sometimes this means increasing and than attenuating some noise, so the final product is still hissy, but the music is really there. The pressure for de-noise, also, comes largely from consumers, so you people (meaning the world) have to learn a little better how to listen and how to judge sound quality, IMHO -

Edited by AllenLowe

Guest Bixieland

(delayed) Thanks for reporting this, Lon. Gotta pick the last volumes to complete this series!

Dittos! Thanks Jazzbo!!! I was wondering when this was coming out but couldn't find anything. I see Amazon now has it (added on 3/24). I've got Volumes 1-5 proudly displayed, and can't wait till vol 6 joins 'em!!!! I see it's 5 discs rather than the usual 4. Cool.

Great series.

As for the sound, I don't think they sound dead to me...perhaps a tad dark, but there's not a "muffling" sound. Just a mellowness and warmth, which goes great with Waller. I actually noticed how much sparkle and crispness there was on Waller's piano. I think Kendall strikes a nice, fair balance. Comparing it to the recent RCA 3-disc (Orin Keepnews, I believe) there's clearly a brighter, almost harsher sound on that one (not as bad as his Ellington Blanton-Webster set though). I definitely like Kendall's version better.

I also like how Kendall doesn't master so hot, or loud. It really allows more dynamics, I believe. Good space between the tracks, very consistant sound through the set, and a nice full bass too. And OH! the price! :g

Edited by Bixieland

No, I haven't bought any of the "stolen sets" I've listed or others. But I have bought the Fats Waller sets. Had much of this on the King Jazz cds, fourteen of them, but passed those on to my father, a great big Fats Waller fan.

Wow. Now THERE'S a good son! :tup :tup :tup