AOTW Aug 1-7: Horace Tapscott, The Dark Tree

Adam

The Dark Tree was sold as separate Vol. 1 & Vol 2 in the Hat 6000 series, a double CD in the Hatologies. There is also a third version of the song "The Dark Tree" itself on Hat Art's long OOP Kimus #4, from another set that week at Catalina's. There are additional versions on the Numbus LP "Live at Lobero Vol 1" and on the long OOP RCA Novus CD "West Coast Hot." Those have different line-ups, although I don't have the Lobero LP.

We would discuss primarily the Hat albums in their entirety (they are crown holders in Penguin, and are great), but if you have any of the other versions of the song "The Dark Tree" feel free to bring those up.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've been on the road for 9 days and won't be back until tomorrow. Feel free to dive in; I may not be able to post at length for a few days.

Also, I'm friends with the producer of The Dark Tree for Hat, so I'm going to get some thoughths from him on the taping. if you have any specific questions to pass on, please let me know.

I never added my comments to this. I really enjoy this set though I can't listen to the whole thing at once! Tapscott is a very textural/density type player rather than a melodic one. (Kind of like Andrew Hill, though Tapscott has a much more "orchestral" approach.) His compositions are really distinctive as well.

Cyrille is great throughout both sets.

Guy

The Hathut 2 CD is interesting but fairly abraisive stuff, the recording is very clear but hard as a result, not for bacground listening.

I've had this for several years and listen to it in small chunks but I do always return to it, ................ so..... :tup

I bought Vol. 1 of The Dark Tree. Never picked up Vol. 2 or the 2 volume reissue.

I like the compositions, John Carter's, Andrew Cyrille's, and Cecil McBee's playing. For me, the flaw in this set is Horace Tapscott's playing. Perhaps it's something that I can't hear, but I feel that his playing explores such a narrow emotional range that it doesn't interest me. Listening to him, I have the feeling that he's digging a very deep but narrow hole (sorry for the mixed metaphor, but it's the best I can do right now), as opposed to a contemporary like Cecil Taylor, who opens up the world for me when I hear him play. Again, this is possibly just something that comes from personal taste - I'm not much of a McCoy Tyner fan either, outside of his playing with Trane. I hear some of the same things in much of Tyner's recordings also. Though, for me, Tapscott's playing is more intense, and, for that reason, more interesting than Tyner's.

• 2 years later...