Ellington's Reprise Recordings

bebopbob

For those who missed the Mosaic set, Collectables will be reissuing Ellington's Reprise recordings in March and April

March 15, 2005:

Mary Poppins

Afro-Bossa

March 29, 2005:

Ellington '65

Ellington '66

The Symphonic Ellington

April 12, 2005:

The Great Paris Concert (Atlantic)

Concert in the Virgin Islands

Will Big Bands Ever Come Back?

Recently picked up Duke Ellington's Jazz Violin Session on Wounded Bird Records - interesting arrangements

Edited by bebopbob

some engineer decided to de-hiss them, not realizing that ambient hiss is one of the nice thing about old open-reel recordings - there is no good de-hissing program, or at least none that can truly completely eliminate hiss without leaving other problems. The Dick Katz has a weird cymbal sizzle, and the Bob Brookmeyer big band has actual weird digital noises like the chirping of dying birds - AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH! This is why I save my LPs -

Edited by AllenLowe

Before everyone starts bad mouthing Collectables again, i would suggest you read the copyright statement on the back of any of their cd issues. They DO NOT master or manufacture any of their product. That job is done by the special projects arm of whatever company owns the tapes. Collectables is just a marketing company.

In the case of the Atlantic reissues, Rhino Entertainment masters and manufactures the product. They are the ones doing the half assed job on some of the Atlantic issues. To prove my point, Collectables not too long ago issued Hank Crawford's More Soul. This album had been issued on cd by 32 Jazz some years back. The 32 issue had a defect at the end of the last track, Sister Sadie. Guess what, the Collectables issue has the same exact defect, which leads me to believe that Rhino used the same master they did for 32 Jazz. If after all these years there is a problem with the master tape, the least Rhino could do was to ask 32 and Collectables to run a dsclaimer for that track. They did'nt in both cases.

So lets stop picking on Collectables. Without them, how much of that Atlantic product do you think would be out on cd?

What - we can't blame them simply because they agree to issue substandard product? All they have to do is tell Rhino to re-master - the Atlantic stuf has been done very nicely in other cases. The Atlantics they've issued with compressed anti-hiss and digital noise are a travesty, and include some of the most important music of the 1950s and 1960s - almost all from nice two-track masters. They're paying to license it and are obligated to maintain standards -

Edited by AllenLowe

And on topic: why not get the European longbox release ("Spiegel Edition" or what is it called)?

I spent a couple of days with this box when I was in hospital last year (pretty exactly a year back now) and love it! The jazz violin session is great, and I have to admit I liked a lot of the "pop" numbers - I mean, they're not just pop numbers, they got the Ducal or - in many cases even better - Strayhorn treatment, creating many a jewel out of dubious origins.

The Paris concert I think is still available in its 2CD Atlantic incarnation, no? That was not part of the Reprise box anyway.

ubu

Allen,

Although i agree with you that we would like every reissue to be state of the art, i think we have to look at the real world. In terms of what jazz sales contributes to the bottom line of Rhino/Warner Bros,it would not suprise me that if Collectables complains to Rhino, they are just told to take it or leave it.

I dont know the answer to this, but are there different price points for a licence that get you better masters? Maybe Nessa can comment on that.

All in all im just happy to have alot of those old titles out.

it really has nothing to do with price - and is actually probably CHEAPER to just get the masters transferred, flat, with no processing. This is a case of a bad and poorly trained engineer - I understand what you are saying, but, as someone who has done a fair amount of remastering (I've done work for Sony, Rhino, GLobal Village, a few Japanese cpmpanies, for Michael Feinstein, for NPR, Ken Burns and a few others) I can tell you this is just poor judgement -

speaking of collectibles, here's something that puzzles me...

in november i picked up a few rhino reissues in the EU that weren't/aren't available here in north america (more soul and ray charles presents fathead were two...). the liners are by senior dorn and the sound is *delicious* atlantic dowd. now these titles are available from collectibles. :wacko:

hmmmmmmmmmmmm,

-e-

Assuming they are the same as those released in Germany in 2003/04, these have EXCELLENT sound.

Most of them look like the second generation of digipacks (the first being the "Atlantic Original Sound" ones, with a note by Claude Nobs). Can't tell about the sound, but to me the best ones seem to be the Rhino jewel case reissues, but then these are album-only reissues, no complete sessions, no bonus materials (as the older Rhinos from the US had). Also the "Great Ray Charles" includes a wrong track (there's a separate thread I started about that).

ubu