AOTW 27 February

JohnS

Prince Lasha featuring Sonny Simmons, OJCCD 1945 (Contemporary S 7610)

Lasha(flute) Simmons (as) Gary Peacock and/or Mark Proctor(bass) Gene Stone (d) Recorded 21 November 1962.

Congo Call

Bojangles

Green and Gold

Ghost of the Past

Red's Mood

Juanita

Lost generation

A.Y.

This one got a recommendation in another thread recently. Some interesting music here.

Edited by JohnS

The Cry! is just as strong to my ears as Firebirds. The latter adds the density of Bobby Hutcherson's vibes, and the former (without vibes) has a somewhat stronger focus on the horn soloists. Simmons' feature on "Bojangles" is the highlight of the album for me. Great playing. Around this time, Simmons gigged briefly with Charles Mingus, and his improvising on "Bojangles" seems at times Mingus-esque to me.

The album's also beautifully recorded, with Gary Peacock's bass especially prominent in the mix.

A big :tup .

The shadow of Ornette looms large here in both the compositions and some of Simmons' solos. But because or despite of that it's a delight from start to finish.

Although Lasha is the leader he doesn't play on two tracks and doesn't solo on another where he plays alto in the theme statements. Simmons is the star but Lasha's flute makes for a fine contrasting second voice. The two basses don't get in each others way and provide some very nice interplay. Drummer Stone keeps time and swings nicely without being too extrovert.

Fine cd, highly recommended

• 3 weeks later...

I very much enjoy this album. Simmons and Lasha are both really interesting. The playing on this album brings Joe Harriott to mind, although I don't know the work of any of the three well enough to know if this is a fair comparison.

The solo horn introduction to Lost Generation (is this correct? I'm going from memory) is enthralling.

I like the compositions here a lot as well; I've always thought that Congo Call would be a nice one to take down and play.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...