May 15: At The Half Note Cafe

BruceH

Hi y'all...I think I'm supposed to do the May 15 AOTW, so my choice is the Donald Byrd double album At The Half Note Cafe which was RVGed last year.

Includes Duke Pearson, p, Laymon Jackson, b, and Lex Humphries, d.

I chose it simply because I was listening to it a lot a few weeks/months ago. It seems to have a lot of staying power, because I certainly listened to it a lot when the reissue first came out last year as well. I think it ranks with the best studio material on the Mosaic Byrd/Adams box. At one time I was a little put out that the live stuff wasn't inluded on the Mosaic, but now I think I appreciate it more by having it separated out like this. Anyway, it may not be an all-time, five-star, changed-the-course-of-jazz CLASSIC, but it's a damn good album that deserves some notice, which after all is what the Album of the Week is all about, no? (And dig the "Theme From Mr. Lucky"!)

Edited by BruceH

I really like this. It's strange, Pepper Adams always seems to me to be a very limited player - I think he's more than usually licks-based - but I still very much enjoy listening to him.

I feel a slightly similar way about Donald Byrd - looking at it as objectively as possible, he's not the greatest: but I still really enjoy listening to him. And I think Adams and Byrd work as nice foils for each other. But to my ears, the whole group swings hard, and what's not to like?

That said, it does on occasion feel a little 'mannered' - Pure D. Funk for example.

Good compositions as well. I've always liked 'Jeannine', as well as 'Kimgas' (although I've not heard this latter tune elsewhere).

A guy I worked with introduced me to his mother, a nurse, who told me that she had almost MARRIED Pepper Adams. :o

She ended up marrying another guy.

The guy I worked with was adopted.

(Not sure if this adds up to anything...)

Slightly off topic, but for the more melodic side of Pepper Adams I'd recommend the the Kenny Clarke album on Savoy Kenny Clarke meets the Detroit Jazzmen , one of Adams' first sessions, he does both here.

B000001CTM.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I think he wanted to find a niche for himself besides the somewhat gentler (soundwise) melodic approach of Gerry Mulligan, who really dominated the baritone at that time, and the virtuosics of Serge Chaloff. But that sound - which caused his nickname "The Knife" - can get in the way of the melody - I see what you mean.

That Byrd/Adams was a great working band - the live date is a nice amendment to the Mosaic box.

Slightly off topic, but for the more melodic side of Pepper Adams I'd recommend the the Kenny Clarke album on Savoy Kenny Clarke meets the Detroit Jazzmen , one of Adams' first sessions, he does both here.

B000001CTM.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I think he wanted to find a niche for himself besides the somewhat gentler (soundwise) melodic approach of Gerry Mulligan, who really dominated the baritone at that time, and the virtuosics of Serge Chaloff. But that sound - which caused his nickname "The Knife" - can get in the way of the melody - I see what you mean. 

That Byrd/Adams was a great working band - the live date is a nice amendment to the Mosaic box.

Thanks Mike - I'll have a listen if I see that one. Sounds to be a good explanation of his style as well (the anxiety of the Mulligan/Chaloff influence), although I confess to not knowing much Chaloff.

I have to confess that this album didn't do much for me. Don't know if it was high expectations after enjoying the Mosaic studio sessions so much, but I could never warm up to this set.

For that matter, "10 to 4" didn't do much for me either. I guess I just like these guys in the studio more than in a live setting.

That said, I have to totally agree with the description of Adams solos as "brawling." Angular and slashing, too.

Good choice for an AOTW, though. I hope more people contribute to this thread. :tup

I like Donald Byrd (especially early Byrd). I find Byrd's cooler sound an attractive alternative to the more outgoing playing of Hubbard and Morgan. I particularly enjoy the long lines he plays. Never been too keen on Adams but here he's pretty restrained and plays as well as I've heard. Piano, bass and drums all add to very nice set with a cool bunch of tunes.

I like this album for one tune only, JEANNINE, a classic, classic tune. The rest of the album doesn't do anything for me. But that tune! I guess I'm kinda different, I really dig Pepper Adams rough and tumble style, especially on JEANNINE.

• 6 years later...

Hi y'all...I think I'm supposed to do the May 15 AOTW, so my choice is the Donald Byrd double album At The Half Note Cafe which was RVGed last year.

Includes Duke Pearson, p, Laymon Jackson, b, and Lex Humphries, d.

I chose it simply because I was listening to it a lot a few weeks/months ago. It seems to have a lot of staying power, because I certainly listened to it a lot when the reissue first came out last year as well. I think it ranks with the best studio material on the Mosaic Byrd/Adams box. At one time I was a little put out that the live stuff wasn't inluded on the Mosaic, but now I think I appreciate it more by having it separated out like this. Anyway, it may not be an all-time, five-star, changed-the-course-of-jazz CLASSIC, but it's a damn good album that deserves some notice, which after all is what the Album of the Week is all about, no? (And dig the "Theme From Mr. Lucky"!)

Ive taking a listen to this album about a thousand time and can never get enough.I like the intro by Ruth Mason.She gives each player there own signature introduction.I grew up listening to this day in and day out.I had to because Duke Pearson was my uncle.

• 4 weeks later...

It's Adams rather than Byrd who makes me sit up and take notice on this date. He lends 'oomph' whereas Byrd can sound anonymous in places. 'Pepper' seems to be an apt moniker, it could almost be his nickname. I can't really see 'Jeannine' as a classic, it starts brightly enough but goes on a bit too long and Duke Pearson's solo meanders and just seems to fill up space. Byrd's ballad playing is pretty tidy though, 'A Portrait Of Jennie' (basically 'I'm A Fool To Want You') is quite affecting. It's not a 'must have' recording but it stands up well to repeat playing (to use a hackneyed phrase). I have the two Prestige dates '10 to 4' and 'Encounter' by Adams and they are both pretty entertaining dates. Zoot Sims helps out on 'Encounter' and tends to steal the show (he was a class above Adams after all), but Elvin Jones seems to think he's playing behind Coltrane and tends to drown out the horns.