AOTW September 11-18th

tjobbe

I wanted to add one great artist to the list of those who made it to Organissimo’s Album of the Week and with that one of his most famous recordings which brought me (but many other as well) to jazz as a kid...and his music still works fine for me.

In retrospective I can say that a little piece of three minutes of Guaraldi's music was the first jazz tune I really loved when I was 7 or 8 as my dad switched on that TV show regularly on German TV in late 60’s and early 70’s for the kids to watch.

Its funny to think about what type of music brought me to jazz and how much influence a particular tune can have. I do believe that Linus and Lucy is one of the Jazz Tunes that many listeners do immediately recognize, maybe without knowing the artist but having the same kind of “flashback” that I do have. It creates an atmosphere of “all is well” and why having the blues when you can listen to those tunes.

When ever I hear that Linus and Lucy intro, I get thrown back into my child hood (where not everthing was fun, but…) , wonderful thoughts come across my mind (won’t tell you which…), I feel somehow save and secure and I can sink deeply into music.

The album start’s with some piano sneakin’ in on Oh, Good Grief already setting the right mood for the “show”, only track I normally tend to skip is Schroeder… not sure why. Beside the typical Peanuts associated songs, you’ll find with Blue Charlie Brown and the “extra” Fly me to the moon to typical Guaraldi piano trio recordings that would be a perfect match for other non-peanuts sets.

A boy named Charlie Brown (originally titled Jazz impressions of A boy named Charlie Brown) has been recorded in 1964 for Fantasy Records and features Monty Budwig on Bass and Colin Bailey on drums… and it finally made it to the re-issue list with a K2 and an SA-CD release (the later has replaced my “old” OJC I bought in.. guess where…)

Let discuss from here, have fun !

Cheers, Tjobbe

Edited by tjobbe

Vince Guaraldi was one helluva pianist that happened to make his mark on the Peanuts and Black Orpheus - that kept him relaxed. We all know how difficult it is to make real good music and still play for the larger audiences ...

I always liked Guaraldi but still have to get me this - the short playing time kind of put me off - how does the SACD sound?

I'm not sure if it sounds better than the K2 but its definetely an improvement when compared to the regular Fantasy release I had before. I guess the SACD is simply easier to get in Germany.

For me although Guaraldi always tends to be on the lighter side of Jazz and always had the entertainment of his audience in mind, he is one of the artist where I can choose what -more or less <_< - ever record from my collection and do not have the feeling that it doesn't fit.

This record is definetely not his best in terms of playing Jazz so you will find more attractive ones specially playing Bola Sete and with... Cal .. who else, but this single record opened the door to Jazz to me at a very early stage (and remember.. Jazz in not very common on Radio over here even year ago)

Cheers, Tjobbe

Personally, I think this is a great album. Though I didn't finally get it until I'd already bought thousands of other jazz albums, when I did I wondered "What took me so long?" Maybe it was the thought that most of this music was already engraved on my brain from an early age, but nevertheless this is good to have. Nice to be able to throw it on whenever, and to consider the music apart from the Peanuts visuals.

This and Black Orpheus are pretty nice - better than my covered ears would have expected or admitted. Though I haven't bought a copy of either and will have to suffice through memories of my dad playing these when I was younger - still, it's good to see them brought up for 'serious' discussion.

Though I didn't have a dad playing such music - wish there would have been - I agree that they - and Guaraldi's work in general - deserve serious discussion. We should remember how hard it is to make music that is easy to listen to and entertaining and has something to offer to the dedicated fan as well. I tend to dislike jazzoid version of Latin music, but his work well even for my critical ears

• 1 month later...

Finally got hold of the SACD version - just the CD layer sounds terrific, Colin Bailey's bassdrum is almost too prominent (but push the low cut button and everything is okay). It includes a long version of Fly Me To The Moon as bonus track.

Very nice music - it brightens up your house, makes its presence felt but doesn't need constant attention - like the ideal pet. But it merits close attention as well - Guaraldi had something to say but obviously was not mad at the world ...

• 6 months later...

A friend of ours liked the (arguably) best known album of Vince, Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus, so much that I gave the CD to him. I rewarded myself for the good deed with the SACD version from Analogue Productions, and it sounds so f...... great that I felt the urge to recommend it here.

B00006H690.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

A friend of ours liked the (arguably) best known album of Vince, Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus, so much that I gave the CD to him. I rewarded myself for the good deed with the SACD version from Analogue Productions, and it sounds so f...... great that I felt the urge to recommend it here.

B00006H690.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I honestly really, really love this album. Although it lapses into the maudlin, there's a corny sort of sincerity to the sides that just really gets to me. One thing's for sure: Guaraldi could be a bitch. 'Since I Fell For You' grooves like no one's business.

This one has always been a favorite of mine. I guess the word that comes to mind is "lilting." This music just makes me feel like I'm floating thru the air like a leaf falling from a tree in autumn. Favorite track is "Baseball Theme," but they're all good. Love the fadeouts of "Oh, Good Grief" and "Pebble Beach."

Funny thing is, where A Charlie Brown Christmas is very obviously a winter-time album, A Boy Named Charlie Brown feels like a late-summer early-autumn album. I need to listen to this again!