What's Concord up to now?

I went into the AAJ new releases and found Roy Eldridge's "What's it all about" listed for 29 Jan, so I hit the link to CDUniverse and found that it's the same as OJC853 - even got the same cat no. But instead of being $11.98, it's listed at $15.99. It hasn't been remastered - or it doesn't say so, anyway. And it was available just before Concord took over Fantasy. So it looks like they deleted it so they could reissue the exact same record at $4.01 more a couple of years later.

Oh, and it's not listed as a new release on the Concord site.

Anyone know what's going on at Concord?

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

Hey, I have mentioned it before, but to me the whole thing seems to be much less bad than we all expected. Sure, I don't know about the catalogue purge (how many titles and which ones have been deleted - if anyone has a list that would be great to have), but tons of "new" (Universal Logo added on the traycard, none of the ZYX and ten other logos the old Euro editions had) "OJCs" (they're not OJCs any longer, even though they were too lazy to change the front covers and get rid of the logo) are around here in a sale that's been going on since December. Prizes (15 CHF, roughly 11 or 12 $) are cheapo for over here. Anyway, all the Miles, Trane, Monk, Adderley etc. is still there, and to my own astonishment, quite a few of the "Limited" OJCs are readily available, too (I just picked up the Webster Young "For Lady" disc yesterday, for instance). And of course all the Pablo crowd-pleasing stuff's there, too (Basie, Ella, JATP, Peterson).

Flurin, the "blowout sale" they had they represented as getting rid of titles that were going to be deleted. . . there were over 300 from the different labels (Prestige, Riverside, Specialty, etc.) and maybe closer to 400 at the beginning I think. So. . . grab those reasonably priced "Limited Editions" etc. while you can, they may not be about for too much longer (?)

Flurin, the "blowout sale" they had they represented as getting rid of titles that were going to be deleted. . . there were over 300 from the different labels (Prestige, Riverside, Specialty, etc.) and maybe closer to 400 at the beginning I think. So. . . grab those reasonably priced "Limited Editions" etc. while you can, they may not be about for too much longer (?)

Was the Roy Eldridge one of the items in the sale?

MG

That's no blowout sale as far as I understand - they're all NEWLY PRINTED CDs (with the Universal logo), NEWLY PRINTED booklets (with the Universal logo) and NEWLY PRINTED TRAYCARDS (you guessed it, with the Universal logo). They are different from the "old" OJCs we could buy over here, and they're all brand new! Now if they print tons of discs just for a blowout sale, they're silly... (I guess this is the kind of story like that with me and the LPRs when they went jewel case and no one believed it...)

also I think it's much more than 300-400 titles I saw - I can't vouch for that, though.

what a great record store that must be...

not really... just their sales - their stock sucks and grows smaller and smaller, even new discs they just have once, most often, and when they're sold, that was it. But it's by far the best one in Zurich. :(

That's no blowout sale as far as I understand - they're all NEWLY PRINTED CDs (with the Universal logo), NEWLY PRINTED booklets (with the Universal logo) and NEWLY PRINTED TRAYCARDS (you guessed it, with the Universal logo). They are different from the "old" OJCs we could buy over here, and they're all brand new! Now if they print tons of discs just for a blowout sale, they're silly... (I guess this is the kind of story like that with me and the LPRs when they went jewel case and no one believed it...)

Hey, I don't disbelieve you, and I haven't seen any European Concord releases etc. BUT the titles on the US blowout sale they said were all "to be deleted" titles. It was a heckuva thing. All those titles. . .I bought too many but I did want to have them, and didn't know how long I would have!

Ubu, I think you and Lon are at cross purposes. The Concord blow out sale wasn't open to European residents.

I wasn't aware Universal had started to issue Concord/Fantasy material in Europe. Can you point me to a site where I can see what they've issued over here, please?

MG

Lon, yes, as Goldberg points out, we've had nothing of the blow-out sale, alas! I bought 100 or so from the zweitausendeins sale of ZYX Fantasy titles, which were sold cheaply as ZYX lost their distribution/license deal.

Anyway, I remmeber reading here somewhere that Universal took over distribution for Concord, thus I assume the discs I see in that sale are new ones. Titles include, just off the top of my head:

- almost any Gene Ammons ever released on Fantasy

- all the Farmer and Jazztet stuff from the 80s (Contemporary)

- Duke's Pablo releases

- tons of Basie and Ella on Pablo

- most of the JATP on Pablo

- many titles by Adderley

- many titles by Montgomery

- many titles by Miles

- many titles by COltrane

- many titles by Bill Evans

- all the Hawk (Prestige, Riverside etc.)

I know this is not very specific, but these don't look like endangered titles to me, at all, so I really think these are the new titles that Concord is carrying now. But that's all just my assumption...

Sorry to say I have no idea if there's any list available anywhere... and weird enough Amazon (German, where I do quite some of my buying of mainstream stuff) does still not list these discs (they were lousy or expensive before already).

Also, for instance, there were no Clifford Jordan, Gigi Gryce or other "lesser known" names present - I have no idea if that reflects what the store clerks order or what Concord has in stock...

So to me, right now, it looks like things seem not to be as bad as we (I included) were afraid of, but I am having doubts if the more obscure things will indeed remain in print, too...

The limited editions I remember seing are not that many, actually (but my memory's blurry):

- Webster Young: for Lady

- Lacy w/Cherry: Evidence

- Cannonball Alabama Concerto

possibly/likely they were more, but again, their absence may just be due to the clerks' ignorance...

Alright, I'm getting closer... I went to the UMG homepage, went for UM Switzerland: http://www.universalmusic.ch/FRAMESET.HTML

If you hit the "Jazz" button on top left, you get to a German page (nothing to wonder, Switzerland is too small even for UMG to have an actual Swiss website about jazz...): http://www.jazzecho.de/

The page is in German, but here's some sort of listing:

http://www.jazzecho.de/searchresult_detail...ord&type=cd

307 hits for "Concord" in the CD catalogue, most of them new releases, starting February 21, 2006, going up to March 9, 2007...

The choice of titles more of less confirms my impression from above: it seems the crowd-pleasers and the classics are there... but for instance that Webster Young disc (which I bought, so that one's out in a new version *for sure*) is not listed in their search machine, obviously. That likely means that site is not complete? I don't know... anyway, the fact that you can see these 2006 and 2007 new releases is a tiny bit encouraging, after all, no?

Alright, I'm getting closer... I went to the UMG homepage, went for UM Switzerland: http://www.universalmusic.ch/FRAMESET.HTML

If you hit the "Jazz" button on top left, you get to a German page (nothing to wonder, Switzerland is too small even for UMG to have an actual Swiss website about jazz...): http://www.jazzecho.de/

The page is in German, but here's some sort of listing:

http://www.jazzecho.de/searchresult_detail...ord&type=cd

307 hits for "Concord" in the CD catalogue, most of them new releases, starting February 21, 2006, going up to March 9, 2007...

The choice of titles more of less confirms my impression from above: it seems the crowd-pleasers and the classics are there... but for instance that Webster Young disc (which I bought, so that one's out in a new version *for sure*) is not listed in their search machine, obviously. That likely means that site is not complete? I don't know... anyway, the fact that you can see these 2006 and 2007 new releases is a tiny bit encouraging, after all, no?

Thanks very much Ubu - nearly bedtime now - I'll have a look in the morning.

MG

Yes - I'm seeing quite a lot of these new Universal reprints in stores: Basie, Ella, Oscar Peterson, Art Tatum (solo & group) Pablos, a few Dizzy Gillespie and Freddie Hubbard titles - all selling at mid price.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't expect Universal to press any rarities for their European market. The US CDs are still available through amazon/caiman or other amazon sellers at reasonable prices. Considering that the OJC catalogue alone has 1000 titles, it will take them some time.

But at this time they do not import any of the US pressings still available from Concord, they sell only their own manufacture.

Edited by mikeweil