Verve LPR Series

vibes

I've really enjoyed this series, as it has introduced me to a lot of new music from a lot of different artists. I've purchased a few of the discs from each wave of releases, and have been very pleased, for the most part. Here are the ones that get played the most:

Kenny Burrell - Have Yourself a Soulful Little Christmas

Dorothy Ashby - Afro-Harping

Dave Brubeck/Paul Desmond - 1975: The Duets

Al Grey - Snap Your Fingers

Archie Shepp - Attica Blues

Cal Tjader - Soul Bird: Whiffenpoof

Gerry Mulligan Meets Johnny Hodges

While I have a number of the CD's released in the series, I'm far from having them all, and would like to hear what other people like. What do you recommend? What has surprised you?

I'd echo the thought about the Mulligan and the Brubeck-Desmond. Favorites of mine are also the Stitt, Billy Mitchell (outstanding), Jazztet at Birdhouse, Buddy DeFranco and the Woody Herman.

Unfortunately, the last batch they just issued on Tuesday doesn't look too good to me. Others may differ but that batch doesn't move me to buy any of them.

The Tjader one is a favorite album of mine, mainly because of the one track, "The Prophet". They just play the one chorus, but the sound and feel of it are outstanding, mainly because of Richard Davis's superb walking bass line, which is very prominent in the mix. (I heard a sound bite of an earlier version of that piece by Cal, with a different bassist, and it only served to show just how essential Richard is to the "Soul Bird" version.) The track ends with a passage that reminds me a lot of the end of "Along Came Betty" on Blakey's "Moanin'" album. Recommended!

For anyone who is not likely to get the Mulligan Mosaic, I recommend the Mulligan Village Vanguard LPR CD, with its handsome gatefold cover. The sound is not as good as Malcolm Addey's in the Mosaic, but it's still pretty good.

Of the recent releases in this series, I gotta recommend the Lateef too. And Soul Sisters. The Stuff Smith is really good. I took a chance on the Tony Scott and recommend it--three tracks feature some unusual instrumentation, but hell, "Ode to an Oud" is very cool. I picked up the Johnny Frigo but haven't listened to it yet.

The Billy Mitchell really blew me away, I need to hear more of him.

Archie Shepp's ATTICA BLUES is fantastic. One of my favorite of his Impulse! dates. "Steam" is groovy, a great lost FM soul hit!

I'm picking up the Lateef today - the stereo LP copy I have sounded good and I'm expecting even better based on Lon's comments. Musically, it's first rate, perhaps his best Impulse! date. I agree that his tenor playing is very strong on this one.

I'll just also mention a couple that others haven't.

Alice Coltrane - UNIVERSAL CONSCIOUSNESS - whoah! Heavy stuff.

I like Dizzy's AFRO a lot too - have to be in the mood, but when you want intense, driving, downright exhilirating music, this is your ticket!

Edited by DrJ

I'm listening to Sam Rivers' "Crystals" using headphones right now, and there is a lot more happening on this date than I previously realized. This really is a fantastic date, one of the more interesting avant releases I've heard. Is Sam's other early 70's work at all similar to this?

Regardless, this date is highly recommended. :tup

• 2 weeks later...

What puzzles me is that my copy of THE GOLDEN FLUTE is a digipak, but has the other LPR releases listed underneath the transparent jewel.

The sound on the Gloria Coleman is odd in one respect: the bass drum is almost inaudible. Rudy Van Gelder seems to have had problems with balancing the bass drum alongside the organ pedals and double bass, as he often mixed the bass drum way too low, IMHO. Or he simply didn't like it. He also has a tendency to mix the drums as a whole a little too low in the mix. You have to listen real hard for the bassdrum on all Jimmy Smith Blue Notes. :angry:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I picked up the Earl Hines session, Once Upon A Time. I didn't realize that Pee Wee Russell and Elvin Jones were on this--I thought it was Ellington's group-so that was a pleasant surprise. Elvin manages to sound like Elvin even in this straight ahead format and he really drives the band. Pee Wee is Pee Wee. Altogether, there's a lot more variety to this than I anticipated and I really like it. How can you go wrong with Earl HInes, Pee Wee Russell and Elvin Jones? Three of the most distinctive voices in jazz.

The Billy Mitchell really blew me away, I need to hear more of him.

Get the Al Grey-Billy Mitchell SNAP YOUR FINGERS for more prime Mitchell! The two of them made a couple more albums together that hopefully will see the light of day.