Al McKibbon Black Orchid

ejp626

Perhaps you recall the thread about how United (and probably the other airlines) very rarely play the jazz channel anymore, replacing it with voice from the cockpit. Fortunately on my last long trip, I was able to listen to the jazz channel (after the batteries in my laptop had run down and I couldn't listen to my own music!). Anyway, one of the tracks was "Black Orchid" off a CD of the same title by Al McKibbon. I was really taken with it, and just bought the CD. It came out in 2003, but didn't seem to get a lot of coverage, or at least I missed it. It seems to retail for $10 at most on-line stores.

I think it is a very good CD with a range of styles, and only a few tracks that would be classified as latin jazz. There are two songs written by Strayhorn -- UMMG and Isfahan, as well as Weston's Little Niles. I'm just spinning it a second time, and am forming my impressions, but I would recommend this. In general there is a mellow vibe, but some really funky tracks, especially the last one. Most songs also have flute prominently in the mix, in case you look for that or look to avoid it.

Does anyone else have this CD, and what do you think?

Nice to hear you like it, Jim!

McKibbon and Percy Heath are our grand old bassmen, it seems to me. Al plays with a rhythmic self-assurance that really amazes me - this is where Andy Gonzalez comes from - and Johnny Benitez etc. And he does it on a 17th century German made bass fiddle!

steiner1.jpg

Al was the first Cubop bassist, learning the tumbaos, the bass patterns which are all derived from drum patterns, from the legendary Chano Pozo himself.

Edited by mikeweil

It sort of looks like he is channeling Mingus in the cover photo.  I do think it is a good album with strong ensemble work, even though I have not heard of any of them previously.

Actually, the cigar and the cap Al is wearing on the cover are symbols of Cuba. Al, as stated elsewhere in this thread, is an expert in Afro-Cuban music. He's had close friendships with all the great ex-patriate Cuban congueros, including Chano Pozo, Mongo Santamaria and Armando Peraza, and can play some mean congas, himself. He taught me.

Love the latest CD (as well as the first one). The instrumentation is intriguing, combining guitar, concertina, congas, flute, sax, piano, bass and drums. The featured sax and flute player on this and McKibbon's first CD, which, incidentally, was grammy nominated, is the great Justo Almario. Justo has a terrific, brand new album, also, entitled "Love Thy Neighbor".

Al McKibbon is a national treasure. When it comes to latin jazz, he's the fountainhead. He is now in his mid-80's, in good health and working regularly.

Late last year, Al went to Cuba for the first time. He was given a heroes reception and was celebrated by Cuba's past and present notable musicians.

Edited by Cali

Chuck, what a coincidence[not really, since you hipped me onto it last week].

I bought the cd at the Tower yesterday.

Love it! Little Niles in afro-cuban, you got to hear it, folks!

You think Al will mind if I post the pics I took at his home last year?

Edited by Dmitry