What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Sam Musiker - Jewish Wedding Dances (Tikva) I added this to my growing stack of cheap klezmer LPs from the 50's and 60's today. Sam Musiker had played tenor and clarinet in Gene Krupa's band and in the band of his musical hero and father-in-law, Dave Tarras. I wish I could find a picture of the cover online; it's odd and cool.

Jeff - Sam Musiker also appears on the Terry Gibbs "Plays Jewish Melodies in Jazztime" album. Tarras and both Musiker brothers (Sam and Ray) recorded together on the Epic album "Tanz!"

• Replies 55.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sam Musiker - Jewish Wedding Dances (Tikva) I added this to my growing stack of cheap klezmer LPs from the 50's and 60's today. Sam Musiker had played tenor and clarinet in Gene Krupa's band and in the band of his musical hero and father-in-law, Dave Tarras. I wish I could find a picture of the cover online; it's odd and cool.

Jeff - Sam Musiker also appears on the Terry Gibbs "Plays Jewish Melodies in Jazztime" album. Tarras and both Musiker brothers (Sam and Ray) recorded together on the Epic album "Tanz!"

I've got the Tanz! album, but didn't know that Musiker was on the Gibbs albums - I'll keep my eyes open for that one.

Trying to get my own groove back after a long, tough week. This is fun stuff:

2197934-johnny-lytle-a-groove.jpg

I don't know this one Leeway, but Lytle always brings a smile and a happy feeling.

Thanks John. I also had not seen this LP until a week or 2 ago, despite many years of LP hunting. Had to get it, and the price was in Great Finds territory. I also picked up this too, and just listened to it. Prestige 8246, blue label Prestige, 203 S. Washington Ave. Very heavy vinyl. I think this was a definite Great Find. smile.gif

ac929245e4f88385bb86ab2613e3ff2b.jpg

Bought this album on spec, and it turned out to be way hipper than I expected. Kenyatta, Wolfgang Dauner, Arild Andersen, Fred Braceful (from his Wiki entry, sounds like an interesting figure, but this is the first time I have encountered him on record I think). Recorded 1970. ECM 1008.

452972-robin-kenyatta-girl-from-martinique.jpg

Bought this album on spec, and it turned out to be way hipper than I expected. Kenyatta, Wolfgang Dauner, Arild Andersen, Fred Braceful (from his Wiki entry, sounds like an interesting figure, but this is the first time I have encountered him on record I think). Recorded 1970. ECM 1008.

I've liked that one since back in the day.

Right now, a recent find: a 10" LP on the Jump label, by the trio of Eddie Miller, Stanley Wrightsman and George Van Eps. I have some of these performances on 78, as well as some 78 sides that aren't included on this album. The liner notes indicate that some of these tracks are different takes from the 78 issues, so I'm looking forward to doing some comparisons to see just what I have. I couldn't find a picture of the LP online, but here's one of the 78s:

J-16.JPG

That's a good one and Dauner rules. I recommend all that early '70s Dauner stuff.