• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Teddy Wilson 'I Got Rhythm' (Verve, mono, blue label)

i-got-rhythm-teddy-wilson.jpg?w=150

The cover still carries an aged price tag from Woolworth(our price: $2,77, list price: $3,98).

Where's Woolworth these days?

:(

In the UK they closed almost 3 years ago with the loss of 30,000 jobs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolworth%27s_Department_Store

Edited by BillF

Sometimes when my wife is out of town, I pull out my boxes of 45s and play them loud. They range from rare to common, near-mint to nearly trashed. Here's part one of tonight's playlist, jazz, gospel, blues, R & B:

Clem Tervalon - Eh Las Bas/Streets of the City (Clemente). New Orleans jazz with Alvin Alcorn on trumpet. Tervalon was a trombonist.

Cannonball Adderley - Country Preacher/Hummin' (Capitol). This take of "Hummin'" didn't appear on the album - it has Zawinul on acoustic piano.

James Thomas and the Pilgrim-Aires Trio - The Family Reunion/Crossing Over Jordan (Perfection). White country gospel from Georgia.

Sister Alessie Barney - Strange Things Are Happening/When They Ring Those Bells (Randy's Spiritual). Black Tennessee gospel.

Gus Jinkins - You Told Me/Tricky (Flash). Real-deal blues by the pianist/singer whose name was probably really "Jenkins."

Mighty Joe Young - Tell Me Something/Henpecked (Celtex). Chicago soul blues.

Fenton Robinson - Somebody (Loan Me a Dime)/I Believe (Palos). A blues classic, but you don't hear the original often.

Big Lucky Carter - Hurricane Blues/Ohio Bound (Bandstand USA). Memphis blues.

Piano Red - Comin' On/One Glimpse of Heaven (RCA Victor)

Piano Red (as Dr. Feelgood and the Interns) - Right String But the Wrong Yo-Yo/What's Up Doc (Okeh)

James Carr - You've Got My Mind Messed Up/That's What I Want to Know (Goldwax). Killer Southern soul. Side one is amazing, with excellent guitar by (I think) Steve Cropper.

Preston Love featuring Shuggie Otis - Cool Ade/Shuggie's Blues (Kent)

Noble "Thin Man" Watts - I Don't Wanta/Noble's Theme (Clamike). Very tough R & B for 1962. Young Bernard Purdie is on drums.

Ready to move on to the New Orleans stuff for part two....

Edited by jeffcrom

Sometimes when my wife is out of town, I pull out my boxes of 45s and play them loud. They range from rare to common, near-mint to nearly trashed. Here's part one of tonight's playlist, jazz, gospel, blues, R & B:

Clem Tervalon - Eh Las Bas/Streets of the City (Clemente). New Orleans jazz with Alvin Alcorn on trumpet. Tervalon was a trombonist.

Cannonball Adderley - Country Preacher/Hummin' (Capitol). This take of "Hummin'" didn't appear on the album - it has Zawinul on acoustic piano.

James Thomas and the Pilgrim-Aires Trio - The Family Reunion/Crossing Over Jordan (Perfection). White country gospel from Georgia.

Sister Alessie Barney - Strange Things Are Happening/When They Ring Those Bells (Randy's Spiritual). Black Tennessee gospel.

Gus Jinkins - You Told Me/Tricky (Flash). Real-deal blues by the pianist/singer whose name was probably really "Jenkins."

Mighty Joe Young - Tell Me Something/Henpecked (Celtex). Chicago soul blues.

Fenton Robinson - Somebody (Loan Me a Dime)/I Believe (Palos). A blues classic, but you don't hear the original often.

Big Lucky Carter - Hurrican Blues/Ohio Bound (Bandstand USA). Memphis blues.

Piano Red - Comin' On/One Glimpse of Heaven (RCA Victor)

Piano Red (as Dr. Feelgood and the Interns) - Right String But the Wrong Yo-Yo/What's Up Doc (Okeh)

James Carr - You've Got My Mind Messed Up/That's What I Want to Know (Goldwax). Killer Southern soul. Side one is amazing, with excellent guitar by (I think) Steve Cropper.

Preston Love featuring Shuggie Otis - Cool Ade/Shuggie's Blues (Kent)

Noble "Thin Man" Watts - I Don't Wanta/Noble's Theme (Clamike). Very tough R & B for 1962. Young Bernard Purdie is on drums.

Ready to move on to the New Orleans stuff for part two....

some great stuff in there!

some great stuff in there!

Thanks, Tim. I've got some pretty cool 45s, but I don't think many of them are the kind of thing most of the folks around here are interested in; I'm never really gotten a response when I've posted about my 45 listening sessions.

Anyway, here's the New Orleans portion of tonight's playlist:

Lee Dorsey - Get Out of My Life, Woman/So Long (Amy)

Lee Dorsey - Rain Rain Go Away/Gotta Find a Job (Amy). Lee Dorsey was a good singer, but Allen Toussaint, who produced these, is a genius. Every piano lick between vocal phrases is just perfect.

Alvin "Red" Tyler - Snake Eyes/Walk On (Ace). 1958, with Toussaint on piano and some guy named Mac Rebennack on guitar.

Roland Stone - Just a Moment/I Can't Help It (Ace). I think Stone was still a teenager when he made this record. About 15 years ago he had a great comeback CD called Remember Me; he died a couple of years later.

Bill Sinigal and the Skyliners - Second Line, parts 1 & 2 (White Cliffs). This record is unknown outside of New Orleans, but was very influential in the Crescent City. Sinigal's band, which includes Milton Batiste and Ellis Marsalis, turn a brass band standard into very hip R & B.

James Booker - Gonzo/Cool Turkey (Peacock)

James Booker - Smacksie/Kinda Happy (Peacock). I'm not sure what these are supposed to be in terms of commercial "product" - they're not really jazz, or pop, or R & B. Whatever they are, they're pretty cool.

The Del-Tones featuring James "Mr. Piano" Booker - You Can Be My Rocking Chair/Everybody's Doin Sumthin (Ace). Bobby Marchan's band, circa 1969 or so.

Earl King - Street Parade, parts 1 & 2 (Kansu). Another Toussaint production. I knew it had to be Zigaboo Modeliste on drums, and a little poking around the web tells me that it's Toussaint and The Meters backing King on this 1972 record.

Johnny Adams - South Side of Soul Street/Something Worth Leaving For (SSS International)

Johnny Adams - Reconsider Me/If I Could See You One More Time (SSS International)

Johnny Adams - Hell, Yes I Cheated/I'm Afaid to Let You Into My Life (Paid). Johnny Adams was one of the great voices in any kind of music. I've got over an hour of his stuff on 45s, and "Reconsider Me" and "Hell, Yes" are two of my favorites.

Professor Longhair - Big Chief, parts 1 & 2 (Watch). Just amazing. Wendell Quezerque's arrangement is wild.

Dirty Dozen Brass Band - Feet Can't Fail Me Now/Little Liza Jane (Mad Musicians), A local 45, before their first album and never reissued. Scarcer than hen's teeth, I imagine.

Rebirth Brass Band - Put Your Right Foot Forward/New Second Line (Syla). Another brass band single that never appeared on an album, as far as I can tell. "New Second Line" is "Joe Avery's Blues" - the same tune as on the Bill Sinigal record. Young Kermit Ruffin's trumpet and voice are obvious on this record.

I've ended so many of my 45 sessions with this 1981 record - it's one of the great New Orleans singles of all time:

L'il Queenie and the Percolators - My Darlin' New Orleans/Wild Natives (Great Southern). L'il Queenie (Leigh Harris) is a great New Orleans voice, and the Percolators include future members of the Subdudes and the Dirty Dozen Brass Band.

Thanks, Tim. I've got some pretty cool 45s, but I don't think many of them are the kind of thing most of the folks around here are interested in; I'm never really gotten a response when I've posted about my 45 listening sessions.

Anyway, here's the New Orleans portion of tonight's playlist:

Lee Dorsey - Get Out of My Life, Woman/So Long (Amy)

Lee Dorsey - Rain Rain Go Away/Gotta Find a Job (Amy). Lee Dorsey was a good singer, but Allen Toussaint, who produced these, is a genius. Every piano lick between vocal phrases is just perfect.

Alvin "Red" Tyler - Snake Eyes/Walk On (Ace). 1958, with Toussaint on piano and some guy named Mac Rebennack on guitar.

Roland Stone - Just a Moment/I Can't Help It (Ace). I think Stone was still a teenager when he made this record. About 15 years ago he had a great comeback CD called Remember Me; he died a couple of years later.

Bill Sinigal and the Skyliners - Second Line, parts 1 & 2 (White Cliffs). This record is unknown outside of New Orleans, but was very influential in the Crescent City. Sinigal's band, which includes Milton Batiste and Ellis Marsalis, turn a brass band standard into very hip R & B.

James Booker - Gonzo/Cool Turkey (Peacock)

James Booker - Smacksie/Kinda Happy (Peacock). I'm not sure what these are supposed to be in terms of commercial "product" - they're not really jazz, or pop, or R & B. Whatever they are, they're pretty cool.

The Del-Tones featuring James "Mr. Piano" Booker - You Can Be My Rocking Chair/Everybody's Doin Sumthin (Ace). Bobby Marchan's band, circa 1969 or so.

Earl King - Street Parade, parts 1 & 2 (Kansu). Another Toussaint production. I knew it had to be Zigaboo Modeliste on drums, and a little poking around the web tells me that it's Toussaint and The Meters backing King on this 1972 record.

Johnny Adams - South Side of Soul Street/Something Worth Leaving For (SSS International)

Johnny Adams - Reconsider Me/If I Could See You One More Time (SSS International)

Johnny Adams - Hell, Yes I Cheated/I'm Afaid to Let You Into My Life (Paid). Johnny Adams was one of the great voices in any kind of music. I've got over an hour of his stuff on 45s, and "Reconsider Me" and "Hell, Yes" are two of my favorites.

Professor Longhair - Big Chief, parts 1 & 2 (Watch). Just amazing. Wendell Quezerque's arrangement is wild.

Dirty Dozen Brass Band - Feet Can't Fail Me Now/Little Liza Jane (Mad Musicians), A local 45, before their first album and never reissued. Scarcer than hen's teeth, I imagine.

Rebirth Brass Band - Put Your Right Foot Forward/New Second Line (Syla). Another brass band single that never appeared on an album, as far as I can tell. "New Second Line" is "Joe Avery's Blues" - the same tune as on the Bill Sinigal record. Young Kermit Ruffin's trumpet and voice are obvious on this record.

I've ended so many of my 45 sessions with this 1981 record - it's one of the great New Orleans singles of all time:

L'il Queenie and the Percolators - My Darlin' New Orleans/Wild Natives (Great Southern). L'il Queenie (Leigh Harris) is a great New Orleans voice, and the Percolators include future members of the Subdudes and the Dirty Dozen Brass Band.

1980636-archie-shepp-in-europe.jpg

This has long been a favorite of mine.

Mine too. What an exciting time it was when these were made.

Very exciting times indeed!

Still have the original release of that session on the Sonet label (with notes by Eric Wiedemann)

SLP-36%5B1%5D.jpg

The album opens from the top!

Ah yes, the original cover. Never managed to see one of those. I had the slighty later one, same illustration but with glossy card and edge opening.

Edited by JohnS

I need some Earl King. I would guess that vinyl is tough to find--is there a CD or collection you'd recommend?

...and maybe one day I'll find some Alvin Robinson 45s.....

I've got two Alvin Robinsons - Something You Got/Searchin' on Tiger and Let the Good Times Roll/Bottom of My Soul on Blue Cat. "Something You Got" in particular is excellent.

I don't have any Earl King CDs - just a handful of singles and a few scattered tracks on CD anthologies, so I'm not the best one to recommend a CD.

If you ever go to New Orleans, you should go to Jim Russell's Records on Magazine Street and browse through the hundreds of NOLA singles.