• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

George Girard and His New Orleans Five (Imperial 10") A really nice album from 1954 and 55. I can't find a picture online, and no discographer seems to know who is on this on, besides the brilliant, ill-fated trumpeter himself. Lord thinks it might be Raymond Burke on clarinet, but it ain't. It sounds like the great Harry Shields to me, and on one track Girard encourages "Brother Harold" before the reed solo.

taylor_ceci_liveinthe_102b.jpg

Cecil Taylor- Live in the Black Forrest - MPS- (Germany). Stunning really. Sounds immense, almost too exciting. Lyons sounding particularly fine but it's a great group effort.

I love the tension that Ronald Shannon Jackson brought to that group. He's playing free, but always manages to sound like he's on the verge of breaking into funk rhythms.

It_Just_Got_to_Be.jpgDSC04437.JPG

The Three Sounds - It Just Got to Be (BN New York mono)

Urbie Green - All About Urbie Green (ABC/Paramount) I think it was Chuck Nessa who pointed out in another thread that John Carisi wrote most of the charts on this record; that was what motivated me to pick this up when I spotted a copy.

Booker Ervin 'Down In the Dumps' (Savoy/RCA Germany)

080986.jpg

Thanks for reminder Brownie. One I've not played for while, just pulled off my shelf and plying now. Mine's a US Arista.

As usual with Arista/Savoys it comes with a useful liner note.

Edited by JohnS