Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

modern1204.jpg

Wardell Gray - Way Out Wardell (Crown). Seemingly a very early pressing - the bsnpubs.com website describes Crown 5004 as a Reissue of Modern 1204 with "Sweet Georgia Brown" deleted, leaving only four songs. Some of the Crown LPs list "Sweet Georgia Brown" on the back of the jacket, however. Modern 1204 had a blue cover with a photo of Wardell, while the Crown reissue has a red cover with a different pose from the same photo shoot.

Here's the cover they're talking about:

crown5004.jpg

My cover is blue like the Modern issue, with the same picture, but it says "Crown" rather than "Modern." And my copy has "Sweet Georgia Brown." It also has a price tag from an unidentified store, revealing that this record was a $3.98 value sold for only $1.49.

Jed Levy - Good People (Reservoir). Van Gelder in the deadwax. I didn't even know that Rudy was cutting masters in 1988 after he'd gone over to digital recording. Even the Muse stuff he recorded at that time came with "Mastered by RVG" in the deadwax, not his eponymous "VAN GELDER" stamp, which I always assumed meant that someone else did the actual cutting.

413UvlzpIQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Turk Mauro - Heavyweight! (Phoenix Jazz). I bought this mainly because it had Van Gelder in the deadwax but it doesn't matter the "why", I'm glad I picked it up. Good stuff.

53513.jpg

What a fucking bizarre All Music entry!! http://www.allmusic.com/artist/turk-mauro-mn0000169721

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

Jed Levy - Good People (Reservoir). Van Gelder in the deadwax. I didn't even know that Rudy was cutting masters in 1988 after he'd gone over to digital recording. Even the Muse stuff he recorded at that time came with "Mastered by RVG" in the deadwax, not his eponymous "VAN GELDER" stamp, which I always assumed meant that someone else did the actual cutting.

413UvlzpIQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It just meant he used a different tool to mark the lacquer.

Bill Hardman - Home (Muse). Another bargain bin Van Gelder pressing. These are turning out to be pretty fun - buy it for "Van Gelder" in the deadwax for a few dollars and take your chances. This one is one of the best ones yet. Never on CD either. Well worth picking up if you trip over it in some store.

64067113.jpg

ive never seen a vangelder cut as late as '88. so is the studio not being used much these last few decades? do you think after rudy passes it will become like a major studio again.

It's still being used but Rudy pretty much stopped cutting vinyl in the late 80's when most record labels dropped vinyl. I have plenty of CDs that were recorded at Rudy's place in the 90s and 00s.

Bill Hardman - Home (Muse). Another bargain bin Van Gelder pressing. These are turning out to be pretty fun - buy it for "Van Gelder" in the deadwax for a few dollars and take your chances. This one is one of the best ones yet. Never on CD either. Well worth picking up if you trip over it in some store.

64067113.jpg

ive never seen a vangelder cut as late as '88. so is the studio not being used much these last few decades? do you think after rudy passes it will become like a major studio again.

It's still being used but Rudy pretty much stopped cutting vinyl in the late 80's when most record labels dropped vinyl. I have plenty of CDs that were recorded at Rudy's place in the 90s and 00s.

Fine recording but I bought it because of Hardman, Cook, etc back when it was released. The RVG connection was at least secondary.

64067113.jpg

Fine recording but I bought it because of Hardman, Cook, etc back when it was released. The RVG connection was at least secondary.

While I may have bought it on a whim for "Van Gelder" in the deadwax, the names certainly helped in this case. Turk Mauro & Jed Levy on the other hand... :)