• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven't heard that Chris Woods futura lp in over 20 years! It was one of my first "rare" finds in my early days of record hunting and I sold it pre-eBay to make money to fund my rather narrow musical wants at the time...would love to hear it again with my (hopefully) more enlightened ears.

Tonight's spins a bit all over the map:

Winners pori jazz festival (w/Edward vesala, etc) (odeon, Finland 1973)

Zakir Hussain "making music" (German ECM)

Anne Briggs "s/t" (UK Topic orig)

Love that MEV lp, Clifford! Much more listenable then "the sound pool"...

MEV - Leave the City - (BYG Actuel FR)

766523.jpg

My today`s arrival:

Chris Woods Plus G. Arvanitas Trio* - Chris Meets Paris Meets Chris ‎

Nice - not an easy score.

530603.jpg

Vinny Golia - Spirits in Fellowship [Nine Winds]

Also not an easy one to find - excellent. :tup

Yep, good John Carter on there.

Joseph Jarman & Famoudou Don Moye - Egwu Anwu (sun Song) [india Navigation]

recent acquisition, very pleased

and yes, Colinmce, the John Carter is very nice on that Golia (I just wish a previous owner hadn't scratched one of the tracks - why oh why?)

'Coleman Hawkins and Roy Eldridge at the Opera House' (Verve DG mono)

$T2eC16d,!)QE9s3HF4SlBRTC-S!QU!~~60_35.J

Excellent sounding LP which captures Hawk's big sound perfectly. This one has Stanley Dance's personal stamp on the back with a Braintree, Essex address and some ancient telephone exchange number. Wikipedia says he left Braintree for the US in 1959 so must have been the original owner. Track timings are marked on there too so my guess is that he put these in for a Jazz Journal review way back then. Nice ! :cool:

Edited by sidewinder

I haven't heard that Chris Woods futura lp in over 20 years! It was one of my first "rare" finds in my early days of record hunting and I sold it pre-eBay to make money to fund my rather narrow musical wants at the time...would love to hear it again with my (hopefully) more enlightened ears.

Yeah, Sound Pool is kind of ridiculous. I'm a big fan of Friday but alas only have it on CD. Leave the City was actually an unauthorized use of the MEV name, apparently, as it was a French offshoot led by Ivan Coaquette (who had collaborated with MEV in Rome). It's a cool psych/drone record, though. Finally pulled a copy of the Horo (I used to say "never more than $50 for a Horo" - had to finally pay the piper) but it's yet to arrive.

Yeah, Sound Pool is kind of ridiculous. I'm a big fan of Friday but alas only have it on CD. Leave the City was actually an unauthorized use of the MEV name, apparently, as it was a French offshoot led by Ivan Coaquette (who had collaborated with MEV in Rome). It's a cool psych/drone record, though. Finally pulled a copy of the Horo (I used to say "never more than $50 for a Horo" - had to finally pay the piper) but it's yet to arrive.

Yup I know that story about this MEV "offshoot"..I'm actually a big fan of Ivan's "spacecraft" lp and the 3 Fondation cassettes as well...excellent stuff. "United patchwork" is worth every cent...probably my personal favorite! Which reminds me I STILL have not listened to all of that MEV 4cd box on New World yet! :(

"Friday" is pricey on vinyl for sure....I love Alvin Currans first few solo records as well..

I think you are correct. What did Brownie have, something like 40,000?

No way! Have not enough space (and time to listen) for that number.

The Spring sale was in the 8,000 LPs range. Jazz only. Still have several hundreds that I keep to keep the turntable spinning.

Now the turntable is spinning

1354868969_cover-640x480.jpg

Edited by brownie