What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

92421.jpg

Charlie Christian/Wardell Gray - Tribute From Sweden (Fran Staterna). A bootleg (from Boris Rose, I think), purporting to be on a Swedish label. The music is pretty wonderful - mostly Benny Goodman Sextet/Septet broadcasts featuring Christian (from 1941) on side one and featuring Gray (from 1948) on side two.

Later, toward the end of side one - Goodman plays two measures of pure Teschemacher in "Wholly Cats." Very cool.

Edited by jeffcrom

• Replies 55.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

a0581031263_2.jpg

NAANCORE - Dave Rempis (as), Lasse Marhaug (electronics). Aerophonic LP.

I like Marhaug's electronics because he is so aggressive, so over the top, and so willing to celebrate noise; there is no inhibition about it.

But the real story of this record is Dave Rempis' phenomenal blowing throughout two 20-minute, continuous sides. Rempis sometimes seems like a man blowing a saxophone in the middle of a hurricane, and all the happier for that. Variety, power, and energy mark his playing here. Never heard Rempis at quite this level in KV5

a0581031263_2.jpg

NAANCORE - Dave Rempis (as), Lasse Marhaug (electronics). Aerophonic LP.

I like Marhaug's electronics because he is so aggressive, so over the top, and so willing to celebrate noise; there is no inhibition about it.

But the real story of this record is Dave Rempis' phenomenal blowing throughout two 20-minute, continuous sides. Rempis sometimes seems like a man blowing a saxophone in the middle of a hurricane, and all the happier for that. Variety, power, and energy mark his playing here. Never heard Rempis at quite this level in KV5

Agreed, Hearing his work outside the V5 on Aerophonic in the last year has been a revelation. Chops, energy, structure, & brains all working in equilibrium: what more can you ask for? Second Spring is my favorite record of the year so far.

1647303.jpg

THE GLEAM - Steve Lacy Sextet : Lacy, Steve Potts (as, ss), Irene Aebi (vocal, vn), Bobby Few (p), J-J Avenel (b), Oliver Johnson (d).

I got this for a buck or two on eBay. I thought it was the CD. Quite a nice surprise when it arrived in the mail!

bociantapes.jpg

THE OSLO TAPES - Mats Gustafsson, Lasse Marhaug. Bocian LP.

This is perhaps even skronkier than the Rempis/Marhaug LP, NAANCORE. I think Mats is using more "extended techniques" than Rempis does. Mats also seems to be playing more within Marhaug's soundfield, where Rempis sort of plays over and against it. But Mats generates a lot of power in his approach. I really like both of these LPs.

215705.jpg

Claude Thornhill - Dinner for Two (RCA Camden). More pop or "mood music" than jazz, even though John Carisi, Danny Polo, Brew Moore, and Hal McKusick are on various sessions, and there's one Gil Evans chart. That's a description, not a criticism - I enjoy this album.

First pressings of that are not easy to find. I like that record.

True, not even in Tokyo. The vinyl is pristine, I think I'll be spinning this for the rest of the week. I have the Sony Master Sound cd set too so I'll be able to check if they tweaked the sound or not.