What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

I lived there for a while ages ago, my ex-girlfriend had a room just in front of the Park. Nice place...and nice girl, black deep eyes and long long curls, sweet memories. I am going to spin some Van Morrison, just for her. No need to explain the choice to my wife. A small secret between me and the forum ;)

Hopefully she isn't a secret jazzomaniac and logging into boards like this ! :D

My secret is revealed... I loves you Porcy!

• Replies 55.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I lived there for a while ages ago, my ex-girlfriend had a room just in front of the Park. Nice place...and nice girl, black deep eyes and long long curls, sweet memories. I am going to spin some Van Morrison, just for her. No need to explain the choice to my wife. A small secret between me and the forum ;)

Hopefully she isn't a secret jazzomaniac and logging into boards like this ! :D

My secret is revealed... I loves you Porcy!

Why this hawful nickname and why Texas? Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Thornton. And you don't look much like a steer to me so that kinda narrows it down. Do you suck d...well, maybe you're right, I spend too much time watching old movies and drinking wine, sorry 'bout that, sugar. Don't forget to buy the milk before coming home. And...overall I am not really upset that you're coming from Texas.

Edited by porcy62

Dude, chill... was just goofin'!

It happened I was looking at "FULL METAL JACKET" dvd last night, and I noted you're in Texas...so just a bad joke, my fault, sorry.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0093058/quotes

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Holy dog shit. Texas? Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy. And you don't look much like a steer to me so that kinda narrows it down. Do you suck dicks?

BTW the same joke was used before in AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN where Former Marine drill instructor turned actor R. Lee Ermey coached Louis Gossett Jr. for his role as Sgt. Foley. Lee Ermey acted in FULL METAL JACKET as Gunnery Sergeant Hartman. I don't remember wich state was in AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN, surely not Texas. I presume it's a standard procedure written in Marine Instructor Manual: mocking everyone who's coming from a "country" state.

Clifford is a nice name, tough I still prefer Sabina (my wife's name), and Thornton is the name of John Wayne's character in Ford's THE QUIET MAN, and I love John Ford's movies. So no bad jokes about your name. :)

...and don't forget the beers with the milk, darling :g

Edited by porcy62

Now:

Stanley Cowell - Brilliant Circles - (UK Polydor Freedom orig)

:tup

(pangs of jealousy :) )

Just playing:

Mike Gibbs Band 'Just Ahead' (Polydor 2LP stereo - recorded at Ronnie Scotts) and Mike Westbrook 'Celebration' (Deram stereo)

Edited by sidewinder

Julie Driscoll

She's sometimes to be seen at gigs around these parts Porcy - especially when hubby Keith is giving one of his piano recitals. :tup

Keith a part. I think that some her music and Auger and Ayers, ecc, suffered of a big exposure for very short time and then it disappeared in the "underground prog obscure ecc" bins. Everytime I go back to their records I discover how innovative they were. At times in U.K. AFIK there wasn't such difference between Jazz, Folk, Blues, Rock, ecc. you can find the very same musician in totally different contests. And it worked pretty well. It was just "MUSIC", and such great music.

You surely know that Jay Berliner, the guitarist of The Black Saint of Mingus is in Van Morrison's Astral Weeks.

I love when "label" falls down.

You surely know that Jay Berliner, the guitarist of The Black Saint of Mingus is in Van Morrison's Astral Weeks.

Nope, didn't know that. Not suprising to hear though, based on what I heard of his playing on 'Black Saint'.

The boundaries were very fluid between jazz, pop, folk, experimental over here especially around 68-72. Harold McNair and Danny Thompson are two good examples of musicians who keep appearing in all sorts of contexts in this era and there are quite a few others.

Nope, didn't know that. Not suprising to hear though, based on what I heard of his playing on 'Black Saint'.

The boundaries were very fluid between jazz, pop, folk, experimental over here especially around 68-72. Harold McNair and Danny Thompson are two good examples of musicians who keep appearing in all sorts of contexts in this era and there are quite a few others.

Yeah, Danny Thompson, great bass lines in every context I heard him. If you think that Pentangle, the champ of brit-psych-folk played Mingus...great stuff...and beautifully recorded and mastered on these gorgeous Transatlantic vinyls. I should get some of them, if you haven't them already. Marvellous sounding stuff. One of the benchmarks I use to test my hi-fi components.

Edited by porcy62

Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger and Trinity - STREETNOISE - Marmelade, UK first pressing.

A must for every open minded music listener, and for all the organists over here. ;)

And a beautiful great album. :tup

MAJOR Brian Auger fan here! Don't have too much by the Trinity (a best of) but have most or all of the Oblivion Express albums. "Closer To It" is my fave.

Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger and Trinity - STREETNOISE - Marmelade, UK first pressing.

A must for every open minded music listener, and for all the organists over here. ;)

And a beautiful great album. :tup

MAJOR Brian Auger fan here! Don't have too much by the Trinity (a best of) but have most or all of the Oblivion Express albums. "Closer To It" is my fave.

I just listened to their first album, the only one I have, and I enjoyed it. I'll try to grab your fave, on vinyl ;), when I'll got the chance. Never listen to it.

Now listen:

JUNE 1,1974 - Kevin Ayers/John Cale/Eno/Nico and The Soporifics with special guests Mike Oldfield and Robert Wyatt - ISLAND Pink Rim Uk pressing.

...and beautifully recorded and mastered on these gorgeous Transatlantic vinyls. I should get some of them, if you haven't them already. Marvellous sounding stuff. One of the benchmarks I use to test my hi-fi components.

Saw one of them in a shop wall display a while back at £20, near mint. And passed on it (DAMN !)