Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2278939239_ccc6dd0966.jpg

chicago private joint from (i think) 1970. deeeeeep versions of "delilah" and "wade in the water". this album refuses to leave the turntable at the moment.

Again, I am stumped.

god, that's certainly not my intent, just trying to join in the board a little. regarding the album in question, it's a beautiful, simple, deep and soulful jazz record, heavy with modal inflections, unusual time-sigs and a nice eatern feel on the two tracks i mentioned. mcpherson (a drummer) had a residence at the club, and the band is led by him, along with sporano/ tenor sax and vibes as lead instruments. the liner notes give a little, but not much, more detail. it really is beautiful, along the lines of some johnny lytle, walt dickerson, even the khan jamal thing i mentioned here before.

it's quite tough to find, and is quite expensive now as well, it would appear. popular with dj's of a certain style. and there's a soundclip here...

http://www.facerecords.com/shop/product_in...roducts_id/9581

Miles Davis 'Filles De Kilimanjaro' (CBS 2-Eye Stereo). More Teo Macero production.

How do you compare this pressing with the Mosaic?

Interesting question - I'll report back later :) . In general I find that the 2-eyes have slight edge sonically, although they are noisier than Mosaic.

I think I haven't got any 2-eyes around here, not sure.

Much of later '360 stereo' instead, mostly rock, usually excellent sound.

Miles Davis 'Filles De Kilimanjaro' (CBS 2-Eye Stereo). More Teo Macero production.

Interesting question - I'll report back later :) . In general I find that the 2-eyes have slight edge sonically, although they are noisier than Mosaic.

I'm lucky I guess in that I have all of those Miles late-60s albums in the 2-eyes versions. No mention of '360 stereo' that I recall. Got them as a near-mint batch at a great price. Pretty well all of the Monks too.

Just playing the Mosaic '65-68' of 'Tout de Suite' and 'Filles'. I have to say that it sounds really good. There's not much to choose between them. The original LP has the bigger, broader soundstage I guess but the Mosaic has precision and detail. Both excellent !

The UK CBS Miles from this period are also consistently good. The 'Quiet Nights' UK mono is my favourite of that title.

Edited by sidewinder

I'm lucky I guess in that I have all of those Miles late-60s albums in the 2-eyes versions. No mention of '360 stereo' that I recall. Got them as a near-mint batch at a great price. Pretty well all of the Monks too.

Just playing the Mosaic '65-68' of 'Tout de Suite' and 'Filles'. I have to say that it sounds really good. There's not much to choose between them. The original LP has the bigger, broader soundstage I guess but the Mosaic has precision and detail. Both excellent !

The UK CBS Miles from this period are also consistently good. The 'Quiet Nights' UK mono is my favourite of that title.

Thanks.

The Mosaics are remixed too, I am listening to the Davis classic quartet box set, and it sound good. Maybe I'll get some monos of this stuff, I don't want my new cartrdrige feels neglected. :rolleyes:

Edited by porcy62

surely the UK Monos will be fold downs of the stereo masters. I have few of these CBS UK Monos such as John Handy's Second Album sound nice but not out of this world - but then I've nothing to compare it to.