What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

dr-feelgood-and-the-interns-right-string

The R & B portion of the evening took me from Memphis to Atlanta to New Orleans:

William Bell - Born Under a Bad Sign/A Smile Can't Hide (A Broken Heart) (Stax). I was fortunate enough to play "Bad Sign" with Mr. Bell, who co-composed it with Booker T. Jones. I offended him by asking who wrote it!

James Carr - You've Got My Mind Messed Up/That's What I Want to Know (Goldwax)

Jackie Moore - Precious, Precious/Willpower (Atlantic)

Piano Red - Comin' On/One Glimpse of Heaven (RCA Victor)

Dr. Feelgood and the Interns (the same artist as above) - Right String But the Wrong Yo-Yo/What's Up, Doc (Okeh). Piano Red played "Right String" every night in Underground Atlanta for years. The guitarist on this record is Atlanta's coolest female resident, Beverly "Guitar" Watkins. She was 19 or 20 when this was recorded in 1962, and she's still playing. One more thing - this record was produced by Don Law, who produced Robert Johnson's recordings. That blows my mind a little.

Wow! You played with William Bell!!!!

I have lots of Piano Red's stuff, as Piano Red and Dr Feelgood. Never knew who the guitarist was. Also never knew DOn Law produced Robert Johnson's recordings. Phew!

What blew MY mind was that 'Right string but the wrong yo-yo' was derived from 'Right key but the wrong keyhole' by Clarence WIlliams' Blue Five, which I finally heard a few weeks ago on the Sidney Bechet Mosaic Select.

Your post made me dig out my Piano Red EP

piano-red-dr-feelgood-please-dont-talk-a

piano-red-dr-feelgood-comin-on-2.jpg

piano-red-dr-feelgood-peachtree-parade-r

Clyde 'Blowtop' Lynn on sax, Wes Jackson, (g) and Marion Booker (later with the George Benson/Lonnie Smith/Ronnie Cuber quartet).

MG

• Replies 55.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On Charles WIlliams' album 'Stickball', 'Please send me ..." is 8:00 mins. And the B side is listed as 'Bacon butt fat'; is yours really listed as 'butter'?

I hope you have all 3 of those Charles WIlliams Mainstream albums; all with Brooks, Pullen and Bill Curtis (later founder of the Fatback Band).

MG

The single is cut down to an airplay-friendly 3:13. The flip side, which really is listed as "Butter," runs for over five.

I've got Williams' Trees and Grass and Things, but I need to get the others. I love Pullen's organ playing.

Wow! You played with William Bell!!!!

Just a couple of pickup gigs in Atlanta - nothing to get excited about, but it was cool to play "Bad Sign" with the guy who wrote it.

Thanks for posting the picture of your Piano Red EP with personnel - I was wondering who was in the band.

Now playing (since the boxes of 45s are still out):

0100120.jpg

Al Cohn - The Natural Seven (RCA Victor); on three EPs.

Pepper Adams 5 - (Interlude) stereo, orange vinyl pressing

I bought this yesterday only to find out when I got home that it was a reissue of Pepper's album on the Mode Records label which I already have. Damn! I was all excited about hearing some more of Carl Perkins' playing and didn't catch the replication. The vinyl is in great shape and being orange with a pink label it's really striking though maybe not in the best of ways.