Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

aless_tonya_tonyaless_101b.jpg

Tony Aless - Long Island Suite (Roost). I was totally unaware of this 1955 album, but it's good. Nick Travis, Dave Schildraut, Billy Bauer are on hand, as are trombonists "Moe and Joe" - aka Jay and Kai. It has had a Japanese EMI CD issue, but otherwise has resisted digitization.

Another spin of this excellent and intriguing album. Given how it looked when I bought it, I'm still amazed at how relatively good it sounds.

John+Graas+-+Jazz+Lab+1.jpg

John Graas - Jazz Lab 1 (Decca). Unfortunately, a really terrible... I was going to say "pressing," but it's not vinyl - it's one of those Decca injection-molded plastic records. What would you call that - a "squeezing?"

The UK version is just fine . During what period did Decca use this method of production.?

John+Graas+-+Jazz+Lab+1.jpg

John Graas - Jazz Lab 1 (Decca). Unfortunately, a really terrible... I was going to say "pressing," but it's not vinyl - it's one of those Decca injection-molded plastic records. What would you call that - a "squeezing?"

The UK version is just fine . During what period did Decca use this method of production.?

All the ones I have are from 1954-56. I've seen some similar squeezings on some discount labels (and the Tony Aless Roost LP I recently posted about), but Decca/Brunswick was the only major label I know of who tried this. I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Now playing:

bleyBarrage.jpg

Paul Bley - Barrage (ESP). Mine has the red cover (and labels) as shown, rather than the more common black. I think it's the original issue - someone correct me if I'm wrong.

aless_tonya_tonyaless_101b.jpg

Tony Aless - Long Island Suite (Roost). I was totally unaware of this 1955 album, but it's good. Nick Travis, Dave Schildraut, Billy Bauer are on hand, as are trombonists "Moe and Joe" - aka Jay and Kai. It has had a Japanese EMI CD issue, but otherwise has resisted digitization.

Another spin of this excellent and intriguing album. Given how it looked when I bought it, I'm still amazed at how relatively good it sounds.

I've got the Toshiba cd. Neat session.

Right now

Found a sealed copy. Wish it sounded better, but I really love the music.

606402973_tp.jpg

freddie-roulette-sweet-funky-steel.jpg

Freddie Roulette - Sweet Funky Steel (Janus)

Que es?

Yes, I wondered, too...

MG

It's cool, is what it is - lap steel-playing bluesman Freddie Roulette playing instrumental R & B in LA, 1973. It was produced by Harvey Mandel, who plays on a couple of tracks. Among the other sidemen are Sugarcane Harris and Victor Conte, who played bass with Tower of Power and later became a "sports nutritionist" who helped lots of athletes with their doping.

Now playing:

b1b9024128a0a82de038f010.L._SX300_.jpg

Horace Silver - Blowin' the Blues Away (BN UA dark blue label)

Edited by jeffcrom