• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just finished - Tony Scott - Music For Zen Meditation (Verve). Eh. It made for OK dinner music. :)

900x900px-LL-2628bf5d_MusicForZenMeditat

Now playing - Claudio Roditi - Claudio! (Uptown). Much better than the last one. I bought this mostly for Slide Hampton and I wasn't disappointed. Nice date.

roditiclaudio.jpg

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

crown5111.jpgbs1601.jpg

"Members of the Count Basie Orchestra directed by Maxwell Davis" - The Compositions of Count Basie (Crown). This LP will probably not survive the record purge that's coming in a few years, but in the meantime, it's fun to play every once in a while. The band is indeed a mix of then-current (1959) Basie sidemen and west coast studio guys. There are some nice solos by the Two Franks, and B.B. King sings "Every Day I Have the Blues."

Joe Albany - Proto-Bopper (Revelation)

Jazz West Coast Vol. 3-------( Vogue UK)- ex Pacific

Classic cover with a diver coming of the water with a trident and trumpet. Great set of tunes including Too Marvellous for Words by Phil Urso/Bob Burgess - a track which by all accounts hasn't seen too many issues.

Just picked this up in ATL while on a business trip! Great stuff.

1307907879_r-492755-1122766041.jpg

Laboratorio della Quercia (Horo). This two-LP set is one of the great unsung masterpieces of the Horo catalog. A 20-piece avant-garde orchestra improvises and plays charts in Rome, 1978. On board are Kenny Wheeler, Enrico Rava, Roswell Rudd, Steve Lacy, Steve Potts, Evans Parker, Tristan Honsinger, Frederick Rzewski, Kent Carter, and Paul Lytton.

Where do you find this stuff in Atlanta? I travel there quite a bit an dont see material like this at the usual haunts.

1307907879_r-492755-1122766041.jpg

Laboratorio della Quercia (Horo). This two-LP set is one of the great unsung masterpieces of the Horo catalog. A 20-piece avant-garde orchestra improvises and plays charts in Rome, 1978. On board are Kenny Wheeler, Enrico Rava, Roswell Rudd, Steve Lacy, Steve Potts, Evans Parker, Tristan Honsinger, Frederick Rzewski, Kent Carter, and Paul Lytton.

Where do you find this stuff in Atlanta? I travel there quite a bit an dont see material like this at the usual haunts.

At one point, in the late 80s maybe, Horo had a closeout sale on remaining stock. If I recall correctly, Jeff bought a bunch that way - lucky him as they were cheap back then.

Clifford is right, but some of my Horos go back further than that - I bought them directly from Horo when they were active; they advertised in Jazz Journal International, which my college library carried.

I have found a few in record stores over the years, but they seldom show up that way. I know that I got a Michael Smith at Record Ron's in New Orleans in the 1990s, and a Ran Blake in Atlanta - but that was probably 15 or 20 years ago.

Edited by jeffcrom

I will say that I'm luckier than most folks regarding Horo's catalog - or maybe it's just that I'm older. But I've got just about all of them that I really coveted - all three Sun Ras, all three Steve Lacys, the Gil Evans double, the Max Roach double, the MEV double, Konitz/Solal double, the Laboratorio della Quercia double, two Michael Smiths, one of the Sam Rivers (I've got a boot of the other one), and one each by Ran Blake, Roswell Rudd, George Adams, and Don Pullen. I had the Garrett List, but really didn't like it, and sold it to someone here. (Clifford, maybe?) There are a few more I'd like to have, but I'm pretty happy with what I've got.

they advertised in Jazz Journal International, which my college library carried.

Absolutely spot on. I've still got copies with those adverts (full page). In fact they were offering their entire vinyl catalogue as a bulk purchase option as I recall, but you had to send a bankers draft to the (iffy) address in Italy by post. Long before Paypal etc. I remember thinking at the time, which lunatics would be bothered/daft enough to do that.?... :lol:

Edited by sidewinder

they advertised in Jazz Journal International, which my college library carried.

Absolutely spot on. I've still got copies with those adverts (full page). In fact they were offering their entire vinyl catalogue as a bulk purchase option as I recall, but you had to send a bankers draft to the (iffy) address in Italy by post. Long before Paypal etc. I remember thinking at the time, which lunatics would be bothered/daft enough to do that.?... :lol:

I think I posted my copy somewhere on these forums at one point, but here it is again. Lust away....

Horo+.jpg