Jump to content

What vinyl are you spinning right now??


wolff
 Share

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

42532728ch.jpg

 

42532730va.jpg

I remember those 2-LP sets titled "Echos of an Era". Side One and Side Three was also on a Parker Sampler called "Jazz Tracks" by Bellaphone. 
I also had the "Echos of an Era" with Art Tatum, Erroll Garner, Bud Powell and Billy Taylor. 
When I bought it I was just a beginner and thought it might be chronological, I mean from swing to modern. I had confused Billy Taylor with Cecil Taylor and thought, that after side three (Bud Powell), there might be some advanced stuff and was quite disapointed when I heard some nice, but not very modern piano style.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 51k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • sidewinder

    4949

  • paul secor

    4123

  • clifford_thornton

    3734

  • jeffcrom

    2810

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I remember those 2-LP sets titled "Echos of an Era". Side One and Side Three was also on a Parker Sampler called "Jazz Tracks" by Bellaphone. 
I also had the "Echos of an Era" with Art Tatum, Erroll Garner, Bud Powell and Billy Taylor. 
When I bought it I was just a beginner and thought it might be chronological, I mean from swing to modern. I had confused Billy Taylor with Cecil Taylor and thought, that after side three (Bud Powell), there might be some advanced stuff and was quite disapointed when I heard some nice, but not very modern piano style.....

Thanks for your story. Confusing Billy with Cecil is quite amusing!

Have several of those 2 LP sets.

Here is a little tableau

 

42536231px.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner
more text
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jazzcorner said:

Thanks for your story. Confusing Billy with Cecil is quite amusing!

Have several of those 2 LP sets.

Here is a little tableau

 

42536231px.jpg

1 hour ago, jazzcorner said:

Thanks for your story. Confusing Billy with Cecil is quite amusing!

Have several of those 2 LP sets.

Here is a little tableau

 

42536231px.jpg

You are welcome, I´m glad that I can amuse you with my confusing Billy and Cecil. Well during that time I already knew the key figures of jazz and already had a considerable LP collections mostly with many albums from my favourites like Bird,Diz,Miles, Mingus, Monk, Rollins,  Trane, Ornette Coleman, and of course other artists from bop to free, like Fats Navarro, Bud, Kenny Dorham, Johnny Griffin, Hank Mobley, Freddie Hubbard, Wayne Shorter, Pharoah Sanders, Sun Ra, but still didn´t have a Cecil Taylor album and somehow when I picked it up (since the dealer told me it has some Bud I still might not have) I only had a glance at the names, Art Tatum of course, Erroll Garner well yeah some easier listening, Bud of course, and I had thought the next logic step might be after swing , bop , hardbop, so it might be Free. 
Billy Taylor was not very much mentioned in jazz books of my generation (J.E.Behrend, Arrigo Pollilo), so I hadn´t heard of him, since he is not so much present on the recordings of those days (BN, Prestige, CBS, Impulse). 

I later got to know him mostly as a Music Expert and speechman of the music, often commenting on jazz documentaries. 

So I remember when first listenig to the Echoes of an Era , when it came to Side D I closed my eyes to prepare myself for maybe heavier approach of Free Forms and atonal passages on piano and was a bit puzzled when I heard that more traditional setting, nicely played but not as daring as Bud and Monk would have been at that time.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

You are welcome, I´m glad that I can amuse you with my confusing Billy and Cecil. Well during that time I already knew the key figures of jazz and already had a considerable LP collections mostly with many albums from my favourites like Bird,Diz,Miles, Mingus, Monk, Rollins,  Trane, Ornette Coleman, and of course other artists from bop to free, like Fats Navarro, Bud, Kenny Dorham, Johnny Griffin, Hank Mobley, Freddie Hubbard, Wayne Shorter, Pharoah Sanders, Sun Ra, but still didn´t have a Cecil Taylor album and somehow when I picked it up (since the dealer told me it has some Bud I still might not have) I only had a glance at the names, Art Tatum of course, Erroll Garner well yeah some easier listening, Bud of course, and I had thought the next logic step might be after swing , bop , hardbop, so it might be Free. 
Billy Taylor was not very much mentioned in jazz books of my generation (J.E.Behrend, Arrigo Pollilo), so I hadn´t heard of him, since he is not so much present on the recordings of those days (BN, Prestige, CBS, Impulse). 

I later got to know him mostly as a Music Expert and speechman of the music, often commenting on jazz documentaries. 

So I remember when first listenig to the Echoes of an Era , when it came to Side D I closed my eyes to prepare myself for maybe heavier approach of Free Forms and atonal passages on piano and was a bit puzzled when I heard that more traditional setting, nicely played but not as daring as Bud and Monk would have been at that time.....

14 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

 

Thanks again for  your story. I  do like the "!harmonic" jazz mostly with some weight on big bands when I can follow the melody and/ or Improvisaion.

Those free jazz athletes are not my cup of tea. But  the tastes are different and music should relax me what will not happen with these atonal efforts of the artists. If they think they have to do it that way it is and remains  their own business. I am a listener. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...