• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Coleman Hawkins 'No Strings' (Prestige/Moodsville)

with Tommy Flanagan, Major Holley, Eddie Locke

Did that one ever come out on CD?

MG

Does not look like it ever did!

Don't know of a complete reissue, but a couple of tracks showed up here: http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=1037144

Edited by paul secor

Coleman Hawkins 'No Strings' (Prestige/Moodsville)

with Tommy Flanagan, Major Holley, Eddie Locke

Did that one ever come out on CD?

MG

Does not look like it ever did!

Don't know of a complete reissue, but a couple of tracks showed up here: http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=1037144

Never noticed that one before. Strange. I must get one some time next year.

been playing

Gene Ammons - My way - Prestige (Musidisc)

Grover Washington Jr - Inner city blues - Kudu (Pye)

MG

Honking saxes all day today! On vinyl this evening, it's

Various Artists - Honkers & barwalkers (vol 1) - Delmark

Big Jay McNeely - Big Jay in 3D - King (Sing)

Various artists (Paul Williams, Hal Singer, McNeely, Lee allen & Sam Taylor) - Honkers & screamers - Savoy (Savoy Jazz double)

now

Various artists (Griff, Prysock, Frank Culley, Gator, Sam the Man, Arnett & King Curtis) - Atlantic honkers - Atlantic (double) Johnny Griffin's honking is the effin' END!

MG

Tubby Hayes 'Return Visit' (UK Fontana, stereo)

Must be all over the charity shops in the UK...

I don't think this title would ever appear in the charity shops - I'd faint if I ever saw one there in good nick. They would be more likely to filter it out and ebay it. For sure, that is what Oxfam is doing these days !

Tubby Hayes 'Return Visit' (UK Fontana, stereo)

Must be all over the charity shops in the UK...

I don't think this title would ever appear in the charity shops - I'd faint if I ever saw one there in good nick. They would be more likely to filter it out and ebay it. For sure, that is what Oxfam is doing these days !

I've always ffound this set rather unsatusfying. Sounds to me like it was thrown together on the day (it probably was).

Hmm, I quite like the 'ad lib' feel to this date. 'Jimmy Gloomy' in nice form and some fine Roland Kirk 'creative embelishments'. Always good to hear Hayes on vibes too.

Following up with Tubby Hayes 'Tubbs In NY' (UK Fontana, stereo)

Two great albums that get a lot of playing here! :tup:tup

That's a good record. I wish there was more by this group; apparently a track on New New Orleans Music (which I don't have) and a few other scattered seeds.

There are actually three tracks by the IAQ on the Rounder New New Orleans Music CD - they're not quite as good as the older vinyl record, but they're good. The other half of the Rounder CD is also excellent - Tony Dagradi's New Orleans Saxophone Ensemble, a hot no-rhythm-section sax quartet.

Ah, I misremembered - indeed, from what I recall not up to the LP material. There's a CD reissue of No Compromise that has a few curious (but not essential) tracks as well.

Somebody has some tapes but who knows if they'll ever see the light of day. Alvin's band Mobitra from nearly the same period also deserves some hearing someday, I think.

Edited by clifford_thornton