What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Fletcher Henderson & the Dixie Stompers 1927-8 (EMI/Parlophone) - A British LP which collects 15 of the sides which Fletcher recorded for the Harmony label under the Dixie Stompers pseudonym. I, who hate duplication in my record collection, am tickled that the one Dixie Stompers 78 I have is not included.

My choice of this one was partially influenced by the fact that I visited Fletcher Henderson's grave in Cuthbert, Georgia today. More about this later, perhaps.

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

41waZWN4nAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Fred Jackson - Hootin' 'n Tootin' (Acoustic Sounds). A recent acquisition, and the only one of these two-record 45 RPM reissues I own. It's likely remain the only one in my collection, unless I find another one for the good price I paid for this. It does sound really good, and as someone who regularly listens to 78s, I don't mind hopping out of my chair every ten minutes.

Your 24-point rave about 'Murder, Inc.' was enough to send me digging my stacks.

Couldn't recall if it got filed under 'Murder', 'various', or Irving Joseph.

The first two tracks, 'Prison Break' and 'State's Evidence' don't really find a swinging gear.

However, they serve notice that you're about to hear some cool, original stuff.

The remaining ten tracks are either cool, super-cool, or absolute killers.

The music is top-shelf, as opposed to off-the-shelf Hollywood crime movie scores.

Twelve NYC studio musicians played on all the tracks in two different ensembles -- so two recording dates.

Notables: Phil Bodner, Lou Mucci, George Duvivier, Osie Johnson, Barry Galbraith, Milt Hinton, Bucky Pizzarelli, and Phil Kraus.

No info appears about Irv Joseph besides "composed and conducted by".

Here's a link to some information on Irving Joseph: Irving Joseph

Your 24-point rave about 'Murder, Inc.' was enough to send me digging my stacks.

Couldn't recall if it got filed under 'Murder', 'various', or Irving Joseph.

The first two tracks, 'Prison Break' and 'State's Evidence' don't really find a swinging gear.

However, they serve notice that you're about to hear some cool, original stuff.

The remaining ten tracks are either cool, super-cool, or absolute killers.

The music is top-shelf, as opposed to off-the-shelf Hollywood crime movie scores.

Twelve NYC studio musicians played on all the tracks in two different ensembles -- so two recording dates.

Notables: Phil Bodner, Lou Mucci, George Duvivier, Osie Johnson, Barry Galbraith, Milt Hinton, Bucky Pizzarelli, and Phil Kraus.

No info appears about Irv Joseph besides "composed and conducted by".

Olympia Brass Band - The Pelican March (Olympia Brass Band). Buying an album by the Olympia is kind of a crapshoot - no telling what you'll get. This one is a typical Olympia mess, with a mix of tracks from different live concerts and an inaccurate personnel listing. The size of the band varies from track to track, and sometimes there's a piano and/or banjo. (The latter is played by the great Emanuel Sayles). It's mostly pretty lightweight, with a few of the deeper moments I crave from New Orleans brass bands, like the simple, heartbreaking trumpet solo on "In the Sweet Bye and Bye." No matter: just like New Orleans, it's all a party - and this one's driven by Tuba Fats.