• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

PB080272.jpg

Woody Herman - Swing Low, Sweet Clarinet

Very enjoyable quartet date with Woody on clarinet exclusively (and no singing), accompanied by Nat Pierce, Chuck Andrus and the great Gus Johnson.

Guess that one's another original? Looks exactly like the above, the number (right side in the small printing in the white bar at the bottom) is "PHM 200-004". This one was even cheaper than the Ellington & Coltrane... and I could pick up "Encore" dirt cheap, but with cover in just so-so shape... and I have the Mosaic Select... should I still reconsider and get the LP?)

Here's one more and better pic:

woodyherman449395.jpg

and I could pick up "Encore" dirt cheap, but with cover in just so-so shape... and I have the Mosaic Select... should I still reconsider and get the LP?)

The Mosaic Select is just fine. I'ld skip the vinyl with a so-so cover!

Now spinning..

Tubby Hayes 'For Members Only' (Miles Music)

Tubby-Hayes-Live---For-Member-469210-991.jpg

Edited by brownie

OK, thanks - it's not sane to buy everything on vinyl and CD anyway... but I might go for the wonderful gatefold of Ellington's "New Orleans Suite" - it's a bit pricey but in perfect condition (about the price of 5 cups of coffee... for which you'd have to pay around 20€ now, but to me, it feels less pricey as the € and everything else is worth sh*t now... or rather, the Swiss frank is way overpriced...)

or rather, the Swiss frank is way overpriced...)

It used to be just astronomical. Now it is mythical !

I can get Mosaic sets for about half the price I could get them in the worst days... but I've still got a few unheard ones. And I don't think the US$ will be worth considerably more too soon...

061534.jpg

Black Bands in Paris 1929-1930 (French Pathe). This is Volume 2 of the four-LP Le Jazz en France series. Lots of the stuff on these records is of more historical than musical interest, but it's all pretty interesting. The best tracks on this one are by Sam Wooding and His Orchestra, with Doc Cheatham, Albert Wynn, and Gene Sedric on board.

Paddock Jazz Band - 1953 (Biograph) This is basically Papa Celestin's band after his death, with Alvin Alcorn, a New Orleans trumpeter I've always like, in place of Celestin. It's always amazing and moving to me to hear recordings of those jazz musicians who were there at the beginning - the legendary clarinetist Alphonse Picou was born in 1878, only a year after Buddy Bolden, and he sounds great here, with his old-fashioned Creole style.

Edit: I was wrong - Papa Celestin died in 1954. I'm not sure why Alcorn is on trumpet rather than Celestin. But I'll add that this is possibly the best example of Alphone Picou's playing on record. It doesn't swing like we're used to, but it's probably what jazz clarinet was really like around 1900.

Edited by jeffcrom

Don Ellis 'Essence' (PacificJazz, mono)

albumcoverDonEllis-EssenceAG200.jpg

What's your take, brownie? I like some early Ellis - New Ideas, Out of Nowhere - never got into How Time Passes. His later stuff has no interest for me. I know that Essence is earlier, but I've never heard it so I'm interested in your opinion.

I like those early Don Ellis appearances (especially those with George Russell, and also with Mingus) and 'Essence' is an album that stands out very well.

Won't say the same with the later stuff. Not a fan of his big band!

Edited by brownie

Don Ellis 'Essence' (PacificJazz, mono)

albumcoverDonEllis-EssenceAG200.jpg

What's your take, brownie? I like some early Ellis - New Ideas, Out of Nowhere - never got into How Time Passes. His later stuff has no interest for me. I know that Essence is earlier, but I've never heard it so I'm interested in your opinion.

I like those early Don Ellis appearances (especially those with George Russell, and also with Mingus) and 'Essence' is an album that stands out very well.

Won't say the same with the later stuff. Not a fan of his big band!

Thanks for the quick feedback! Forgot about his recordings with George Russell and Charles Mingus. The samples I listened to sounded good. Now I just have to find a place for it in the long queue of recordings I want to get. :)

614zFu6aA2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Frank Sinatra/Duke Ellington - Francis A. & Edward K. (Reprise). A nice enough album, but it should have been a great one. Only one Ellington tune, and it's far from his best. It's nice to hear Johnny Hodges, Cootie Williams, and Paul Gonsalves playing the solos on a Sinatra record, though.