What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

3224839.jpg

Women of the Blues (RCA Vintage Series). My favorite tracks here are the two by Sippie Wallace, but there's something to be said for Lizzie Miles' "My Man o' War." Sample lyrics:

"He storms my trench and he's not afraid;

His bayonet makes me cry for aid.

Oh, how he handles his hand grenade;

He's my man o' war."

"If I'm retreating he goes around and gets me in the rear.

He keeps repeating a flank attack until victory is near."

• Replies 55.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

0101434.jpg

Ornette Coleman (The Paul Bley Quintet, really) - Coleman Classics (Improvising Artists)

tiptonLP1-front.jpg

Billy Tipton - Plays Hi-Fi on Piano (Tops)

Allen asked about the Billy Tipton album on another thread. I would say that neither of Billy Tipton's albums is great, but Sweet Georgia Brown, the earlier one, is at least recognizable as a jazz album. Tipton is an accomplished pianist, but this second album is basically a tinkly cocktail music album, given a bizarre aspect by the incredible reverb - it's so prominent that it becomes the fourth musician of the trio, like on some of Sun Ra's albums from the early 1960's. Of course, that kind of makes this album more fun to listen to - it's just so strange.

My wife has used the album cover in her psychology classes as a springboard to the discussion of gender identity.

0101434.jpg

Ornette Coleman (The Paul Bley Quintet, really) - Coleman Classics (Improvising Artists)

tiptonLP1-front.jpg

Billy Tipton - Plays Hi-Fi on Piano (Tops)

Allen asked about the Billy Tipton album on another thread. I would say that neither of Billy Tipton's albums is great, but Sweet Georgia Brown, the earlier one, is at least recognizable as a jazz album. Tipton is an accomplished pianist, but this second album is basically a tinkly cocktail music album, given a bizarre aspect by the incredible reverb - it's so prominent that it becomes the fourth musician of the trio, like on some of Sun Ra's albums from the early 1960's. Of course, that kind of makes this album more fun to listen to - it's just so strange.

My wife has used the album cover in her psychology classes as a springboard to the discussion of gender identity.

I'm not having any trouble with the gender identity of the individual in the foreground-- or background for that matter. happy.gif Not sure about the pianist though.

I've resolved to re-listen to the Mingus Jazz Workshop LPs in chronological order. So starting with the two Debut releases, live at the Cafe Bohemia in December of 1955, with George Barrow on tenor, Eddie Bert on trombone, Mal Waldron piano, Willie Jones or Max Roach drums).

Charles Mingus--Mingus (Prestige Fantasy double LP set).

SUN RA: LIVE IN PARIS AT THE 'GIBUS' " - Universe LP. Recorded Oct. 1973.

The dialogue printed on the inside of the gatefold cover between "Young Punk" and "Old Timer from the Year 2000" is really funny. Did Sun Ra write the dialogue?

078316.jpg

The dialogue came from the pen of Delfeil de Ton, a witty politic (and jazz) writer who was a great supporter of Sun Ra's music.

DDT (as he is known) still writes a political column in the top French weekly 'Le Nouvel Observateur'. His column is a must read item in each week's Nouvel Obs'.

DDT has never recovered from the loss of Sun Ra!

That 'Sun Ra At the Gibus' originally came out on Atlantic France!

Edited by brownie

SUN RA: LIVE IN PARIS AT THE 'GIBUS' " - Universe LP. Recorded Oct. 1973.

The dialogue printed on the inside of the gatefold cover between "Young Punk" and "Old Timer from the Year 2000" is really funny. Did Sun Ra write the dialogue?

078316.jpg

The dialogue came from the pen of Delfeil de Ton, a witty politic (and jazz) writer who was a great supporter of Sun Ra's music.

DDT (as he is known) still writes a political column in the top French weekly 'Le Nouvel Observateur'. His column is a must read item in each week's Nouvel Obs'.

DDT has never recovered from the loss of Sun Ra!

That 'Sun Ra At the Gibus' originally came out on Atlantic France!

Thanks Brownie! That is very interesting. I can see why people read DDT: he delivers some pungent truths in a witty and humorous style.

I also did some Internet searches on the Gibus Club Paris, which has its own website. Looks like an interesting club, offering jazz, punk, rock and electronic music over the last 40 years. The photos inside the gatefold of Sun Ra at the club are extraordinarily evocative.