Complete Blue Note Sessions With Art Blakey?

Hardbopjazz

You know, actually IF I COULD get these cheap (they sell Freshsound and Definitive for 25$ here), I might even prefer them over the European CC Cactus-shit RVGs... Does EMI Europe pay me for shipping when I order the US non-CC RVGs? I bet not...

Most of these Definitive albums show up in Paris secondhand stores at a fraction of that cost.

I get them for less than $10 each, 4CDs set are up for grabs for some $25 usually.

Some of those items (obviously promotion copy for critics who resell them for profit)

are available before the albums are up for sale at the full price in the regular stores.

I got the Tony Fruscella 4CD set for very little. Already had all the material from the Atlantic,

Spotlite, etc. sessions but it was nice to have all that wonderful music in one set.

You know, actually I STILL like to get the original BN product, I AM a BIG fan of the label - and I guess the Blue Note folks have not been asked anyway if they want their product to be copy-protected in Europe... so I will go the import way, some day.

But fact is: I have not bought one single new BN disc since when they were still non copy-protected.

I saw a recent UK reissue (I think it was Teagarden) which claimed that its remastering and 'pitch correction' were uniquely identifiable and were the subject of copyright. I have never seen anyone attempting to claim this before. But are they right - can they copyright the remastering?

Edited by David Ayers

They will only know that if they decide to sue somebody for infringing their rights on remastering work. Copyright is not something that is registered after examination (like a patent). There are general rules in copyright law on what can be protected and a lot of jurisprudence that sets out the details and gives examples, but as long as there are no rulings on copying of remasterings nobody knows if this is protectable.

The article I posted above gives some examples, restored photographies that were denied copyright protection and colorized photos that were granted protection. Remastering of tapes rather similar to restoration of photographies, whereas colorization involves creative work which is added to the original work.

Only RVG could claim protection for his remasterings, because in some cases they are highly creative and produce an end result which is very different from the original recording ;)

Edited by Claude

You know, actually I STILL like to get the original BN product, I AM a BIG fan of the label - and I guess the Blue Note folks have not been asked anyway if they want their product to be copy-protected in Europe... so I will go the import way, some day.

But fact is: I have not bought one single new BN disc since when they were still non copy-protected.

About this copy-protected stuff in Europe, I was just talking to someone at Blue Note about how the copy protection, combined with the 50 year rule, could really backfire on them. I was told that in no uncertain terms, the US arm of Blue Note told them they thought it was a bad idea. The European EMI people won't listen. They will be copy-protected in Europe from now on.

If you do buy these Blue Notes in the public domain to avoid copy proctection, make sure you E-mail European Blue Note to let them know this. Maybe they will finally check a calendar and go "Duh". :)

Later,

Kevin

About this copy-protected stuff in Europe, I was just talking to someone at Blue Note about how the copy protection, combined with the 50 year rule, could really backfire on them. I was told that in no uncertain terms, the US arm of Blue Note told them they thought it was a bad idea. The European EMI people won't listen. They will be copy-protected in Europe from now on.

If you do buy these Blue Notes in the public domain to avoid copy proctection, make sure you E-mail European Blue Note to let them know this. Maybe they will finally check a calendar and go "Duh". :)

Later,

Kevin

Thanks, Kevin! Pretty depressing they won't change this "policy"!

I guess, as I said, I'll rather buy the original product from the US then getting the Andorran or Spanish things - I don't like their product (maybe with the exception of the Freshsound releases not available on any other label).

ubu

Please help me understand the problems associated with copy protection. I am not trying to be a smart-ass, just trying to understand from the consumer point of view. On the contrary, I prefer to be a fully-informed basher. :P

Thanks

Edited by Eric

In relation to public domain (more than 50 years old) music, the copyprotected Blue Note CDs must compete with non-copyprotected Definitive CDs. Copyprotection (and the related playability problems) make the original Blue Note CDs less attractive in comparision.

Edited by Claude