Nefertiti, the Beautiful One Has Come

B. Goren.

This is definitely one of the best Avant-Garde jazz album I have recently listened to. A trio session with Cecil Taylor, Jimmy Lyons on alto & Sunny Murray on drums. Al three musicians sound in their best. I like very much what CT recorded at the early 60s. After listening to this double CD I realized again how strong Taylor influenced Marilyn Crispell's playing.

B000001Z3V.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It's an essential Cecil Taylor album. I find the sound to be good (7/10), except on the (unlisted) alternate tracks which seem to come from a different source.

Parts of this set are available the single CD release "Trance" (Black Lion).

Edited by Claude

As far as I can tell, this set has been out of print for a spell. Its sound quality is quite decent for this sort of source recording.

Revenant has been issuing certain items in the back catalog on vinyl lately including the Harry Smith Vol. 4 and the Stanley Brothers Early Recordings comp. May or may not have issued the Taylor as well but I suppose it's worth a check.

see Funny Rat for extensive discussions

I finally pulled the trigger a few weeks ago for this set and it's been a revelation for me.

Sound is perfectly ok on most of the tracks

This is revelation-music, revelatory music! HELLYEAH!

Get it if you can! A great recording!

I have seen it available online somewhere (Cadence, Verge, Downtown? I can't remember) for a reasonable prize.

ubu

I have had this record for years and haven't been able to get into it.  Perhaps I should try again.

CT music is not easy listening music. It is a bit more challenging music (I am sure this is not a new discovery for you) and many times it happens to me that I have to give this kind of music 2ed and 3rd chances until I start to get into it. Sometimes, even after 2ed and 3rd chances I have difficulties to get into CT music (his recordings for the German label FMP for example). And regarding the sound quality: the sound is perfect, but the music is much better than the sound so the music wins.

Edited by B. Goren.

No really, that is a picture of someones coronary arteries! Why that's on a jazz cover is beyond me.

1 aorta

2 right coronary artery

3 left main coronary artery

4 left circumflex coronary artery

5 left anterior descending coronary artery

It's really a beautiful example as you hardly ever see that much detail of the smaller vessels.

Edited by scottb

No really, that is a picture of someones coronary arteries! Why that's on a jazz cover is beyond me.

1 aorta

2 right coronary artery

It's really a beautiful example as you hardly ever see that much detail of the smaller vessels.

:o

Wow! I always thought this was a tree. Then, I wondered why it was pictured upside down... :huh:

No really, that is a picture of someones coronary arteries!  Why that's on a jazz cover is beyond me.

1 aorta

2 right coronary artery

Thank you Scott for the anatomy lesson. I always knew I can learn a lot on this board.