Guess who I sat next to at the Jackie McLean show

I got there a bit later then I wanted to. People were already being seated. I was siting at a table and a man with a white beard gets seated next to me. I look at him and kept saying to myself, "Who the fuck is that"? I know I saw his face. Then it dawned on me, it was Michael Cuscuna. I leaned over and asked, "are you Michael Cuscuna"? He said yes. Didn't know what else to ask him. Had no idea he would be there. Should have asked about the next batches or reissues or if he plans help to get Jackie McLean signed to Blue Note again.

Sorry bertrand, I didn't catch you there. If you were there, you most likely were already seating.

Anyway, the show was great, but short. They played just 3 numbers. About 15 minutes each.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

Cool.

I was thinking of him last night. I was playing some Impulse vinyl re-issues from '97(I have about 15-20 of them) and thinking what a great job they did on these-sound and packaging and vinyl are top notch. Re-issue producer was Michael Cuscuna.

Without a doubt, had I been seated next to him, I would have bugged him about putting out vinyl Mosaic sets again.

Yeah, I was looking out for Bertrand and didn't see him. (Too many people with beards!) I ran into Michael Cuscuna (another fan pointed him out to me) and thanked him for collecting all my money. :lol: Bruce Lundvall was there as well.

It's kind of late so I don't have time for a comprehensive review, but it was fabulous to see this trio performing stuff like "Frankenstein" and "Love & Hate". (Got all three signatures on my copy of One Step Beyond. Bobby: "The sixties were a looooooooong time ago.") Grachan's chops were pretty rough early on (and it looked like there was some tension between him and Jackie in the first set -- I think Grachan was taking more choruses than he was supposed to) but he played much better on the two tunes that closed the second set ("Little Melonae" and "Blue Rondo").

Anyway, if you are in the vicinity of NY this weekend, go see this septet at all costs. Jackie's playing is as intense and stinging as it is on the 60s Blue Notes and Bobby Hutcherson is absolutely incredible. His playing on "Love and Hate" and "Freddie Freeloader" was awesome.

Guy

Hardbopjazz. You did not mention if you had a chance to ask Jackie Mac whether he was black or white :ph34r:

Did you ask???

And Guy, thanks for the report. Wish I had been there!

Once Jackie was on stage, you can tell his ethnic background.

As fas as their chops, Grachan's chops were a bit off at first, but once he started playing, all was well.

Guy, was Bruce Lundvall sitting with Michael? I was at that table. I didn't know what Lundvall looked like. Had I known, I would of ask him how was Norah doing? I did want to ask Michael if he could sign Jackie to record deal. We can all use more Jackie McLean records, but he doesn't do the signing. Had I know Lundvall was sitting there too, I would have asked him.

All these guys on stage were really enjoying the gig. They should take this on the road throughout the world. I pretty sure they could fill up any where they would go and play.

The one thing I did notice, Rene McLean taped the show. He hooked a digital Sony recorder to the sound board. He did say to someone, he tapes almost all the shows he does with Jackie. So there must be a shit load of private recordings lying around. Maybe one day he'll release some. That's just me wishing.

...Then it dawned on me, it was Michael Cuscuna. I leaned over and asked, "are you Michael Cuscuna"? He said yes. Didn't know what else to ask him...

you could've asked him if he was chinese. that question has been buggin' me for years.

He was talking with someone most of the night. I mean before the music began. I might have been Lundvall for all I know. No idea.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

Anyway, if you are in the vicinity of NY this weekend, go see this septet at all costs.

Yes, sir!

I just found out they're playing the Iridium, so I'll be there tomorrow night. Can't wait! Love his playing with Mingus, but would I get blacklisted if I said I only had one of his albums (4,5 & 6)? ;)

I called Michael Cuscuna and from what he said, he was sitting with Bruce Lundval and Tom Evered. So hardbopjazz, it sounds like you were sitting with the Blue Note triumvirate. :)

BTW, Michael said the show was really good.... better than he expected.

Funny sidebar... hardbopjazz(?) scared Michael by telling him that he heard that Grachan had a fight with Jackie the night before and got fired. Then Grachan showed up late, seemingly confirming it. Michael was relieved when Grachan showed up after the first tune.

Later,

Kevin

He got fired? Wow, I'm glad to see they patched things up. Good to see them live.

I don't believe so... I think Cuscuna was saying that the guy sitting at the table (who I thought might have been you) was saying that. It sounds like an unfounded rumor. Michael also said that there was a lot of smiling and back pats up on stage so he doesn't know why the rumor started. He talked to Jackie for a long time between sets and Jackie never mentioned any problems.

Later,

Kevin

He got fired? Wow, I'm glad to see they patched things up. Good to see them live.

I don't believe so... I think Cuscuna was saying that the guy sitting at the table (who I thought might have been you) was saying that. It sounds like an unfounded rumor. Michael also said that there was a lot of smiling and back pats up on stage so he doesn't know why the rumor started. He talked to Jackie for a long time between sets and Jackie never mentioned any problems.

Later,

Kevin

Wasn't me 6 people at the table.

They seemed so happy playing together. I couldn't see how they might have fought. In fact, Jackie and Grachan gave each other a big hug, like it was the first time old friend have seen each other in many years. Grachan didn't play the first number. He walked on stage after the band finished the first tune. Jackie introduced him and out he came waving to the audience. They went right into "Love and Hate". After the number he started joking around on stage. Taking in a squeeky mouse voice. Jackie did the same back.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

Picture from Firday Night's 8 PM show. Funny after I took these, Jackie said don't take my picture please. Couldn't get any more. The one that is a blur was when he asked me to stop. It was cool so I stopped. I don't know why he didn't want anyone taking any photos. It was before they began, and I didn't use a flash.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

My most embarassing memory as a jazz fan/photographer was when I was positioned right in front of the stage - along with a couple of other photographers - at the 1969 Juan les Pins jazz festival and taking photos of the great Miles Davis band (with Wayne Shorter, Chick Corea, Dave Holland and Jack de Johnette). At some point Miles Davis keeps on playing and walks slowly up to where I was and kicks his right foot to indicate I should stop at once.

I did! Picked up my cameras and moved to a less visible place.

Edited by brownie

My most embarassing memory as a jazz fan/photographer was when I was positioned right in front of the stage - along with a couple of other photographers - at the 1969 Juan les Pins jazz festival and taking photos of the great Miles Davis band (with Wayne Shorter, Chick Corea, Dave Holland and Jack de Johnette). At some point Miles Davis keeps on playing and walks slowly up to where I was and kicks his right foot to indicate I should stop at once.

Brad Mehldau once stopped during his solo (Rossy & Grenadier played on), and made gestures of hitting the photographer... (that was at a concert around 2001, I think).

ubu

My most embarassing memory as a jazz fan/photographer was when I was positioned right in front of the stage - along with a couple of other photographers - at the 1969 Juan les Pins jazz festival and  taking photos of the great Miles Davis band (with Wayne Shorter, Chick Corea, Dave Holland and Jack de Johnette). At some point Miles Davis keeps on playing and walks slowly up to where I was and kicks his right foot to indicate I should stop at once.

Brad Mehldau once stopped during his solo (Rossy & Grenadier played on), and made gestures of hitting the photographer... (that was at a concert around 2001, I think).

ubu

Let me pose this question, which I once heard Gerry Mulligan raise when he was asked about audiences and their behavior (he was referring to talking in the audience while the artist played) .... "Would people do that to Horowitz?" So, are jazz musicians any lesser musical artists, or do they fall into the "entertainer" category, and thus subject to intrusions into their artistic experience?

Edited by garthsj