RUSH

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the Small Faces were the poor man's Who, and anyway I actually prefer the Guess Who's version of "Summertime Blues"...

Oh, just kidding about all that anyway. I kind of like No Sugar Tonight, but that's about as far as it goes. I've never owned an album by the Who, or the Guess Who.

What??? You don't own an album by The Who??? You must go out and buy Who's Next and W-O-R-S-H-I-P it!

Poor man's Yes? Don't even put these two bands in anywhere near the same category. Rush started out as Zeppelin clones until developing a definite voice of their own. Love them or hate them...they are true originals.

If robots played rock-n-roll music, they would sound like Rush. A group made of, in my opinion, very fine musicians. Very technical and tight playing. And, unfortunately, very machine-like and robotic. For me, Rush doesn't swing and has no soul.

Neil Peart, quite the accomplished drummer. Peart plays like a machine, with all the style of a machine.

Geddy Lee, the screeching vocalist -- like that of a broken machine. Maybe, add some oil to quiet the squeaking? I wonder if Geddy is in as much pain as it sounds like he's in?

Rush. Musicans with much promise, skill, and technical agility. But, again, with all the heart & soul of a lifeless robot.

Edited by wesbed

I thought the Small Faces were the poor man's Who...

?!?!?! Maybe early on, but they shed any similarities soon after they signed with Immediate. For me, there's nothing in the Who's catalogue (with the exception of "Armenia City in the Sky") to match the Small Faces' Immediate recordings. The SFs ended up a great psych band before Rod Stewart came along and Humble Pie happened and it all just went to hell.

The Who were never the rich man's psych band. I've always thought of them as the somewhat less imaginative man's Kinks... ^_^

Edited for early Sunday syntax issues.

Edited by sjarrell

i agree with all of the criticisms of rush, and yet they remain one of my guilty pleasures.

i grew up with rush, and while i can no longer listen to their early harder stuff, i do still own the middle period stuff (permanent waves to big money).

i saw them on the permanent waves tour when they were one of my favorite bands and even at 15 i didn't like how they played each song as if they were in the studio recording it for an album.

the lyrics are dopey, they take themselves far too seriously, and geddy lee can't sing, now i think i'll put on grace under pressure anyhow.

go figure.

sjarrell,

Yes i meant the 'poor man's Who' jibe re the v. early 'mod R&B band' Small Faces, the Immediate period being more a psych-ed up Kinks, kinda 'Music Hall on acid'. Re the Kinks and the Who (who I see as having many similarities and/or parallels), perhaps the Kinks realized before most that staying with the (relatively, for then) heaviness of "Really Got Me", etc. would only lead to inadvertant silliness so they decided to short-circuit the process and go straight for overt silliness...?

This 'poor man's' thing works for jazz too: the Charles Lloyd band with Jarrett and DeJohntte always struck me as 'the poor man's Coltrane Quatrtet', except the rhythm section consistantly outplayed the leader...

...big kit an' all,think I'll go play YYZ,or,hah,Freewill...music....such a personal thing...is it us?is it itself?is it good?is it crap?heaven help us is it mediocre?guess that's why we're here-thanks for the responses to the thread,but seriously and perhaps sadly I am off to hear some Rush now,not for long tho'...

"Allaboutjazz"----the poor man's Organissimo? :g

:D :D :D:D

I've thought about it...Speedwagon were the poor man's Journey(but nice to hear some good Brit bands being perceived as "rich").Has there been a Journey thread?(he says in all innocence)

Rush have one more tune then they're outta here......now where's that laser etched Styx record?