Italian Instabile Orchestra

EKE BBB

Just picked "European concerts 94-97" on Nel Jazz label and I´m really shocked by this orchestra!

e434956wslv.jpg

It´s a compilation of live dates, combining some very "arranged" orchestral passages with some free/avant-garde soloing. The least I can say is that it´s a very "eclectic" and "wild" ensemble. Not easy listening, for sure!

From AMG I conclude their discography is rather brief.

Litania Sibilante looks like the next one to pick.

e28090bntu6.jpg

Any further recommendations and/or comments on this European orchestra?

Edited by EKE BBB

I had heard of the Italian Instabile Orchestra but never really bothered to check them until I purchased the Enja album with Cecil Taylor 'The Owner of the River Bank'. Since you're getting into CT now, check that one! I like it more each time I listen to it.

Also got the Leo album 'Live in Noci And Rive de Gier'. Excellent also!

The Instabile guys are amazing...

Thanks, brownie. I´m still broadening my "classic" Cecil Taylor collection. I only have one post-66 release ("It is in the brewing luminous"), so I´ll wait to pick latest Taylor. ^_^

Just look at how AMG describes this IIO collective in their review for their first release (the one you mentioned):

"Drawing musicians from across several disparate disciplines, the group tends to travel between free jazz, Italian folk traditions, contemporary classical ideas, and general good-natured wackiness, in some sense the Southern European version of bands like Willem Breuker's Kollektief. The "kitchen sink" approach, while enjoyably dizzying at times, tends to work against cohesiveness in certain compositions and may aggravate the listener just settling into a particularly nice section"

From what I´ve listened so far (not much, really), I can´t agree with the "kitchen sink" approach, whatever this may be. I find their music "organizedly disorganized" though actually very eclectic.

As for the "wackiness", good-natured or not... :bwallace:

I have been meaning to check the IIO out myself, never got around to it. Did get a copy of Pino Minafra's Sud Ensemble, similar in its change from well structured heads and ensemble passages to free and loosely structured solos. Structured parts remind of marching band (banda) music, my memory tells me this also applies to the IIO but in addition they have some classically tinged, rather baroque themes in there as well(?). Interestingly, I have a GDR LP from 1984 that takes a very similar approach with Weill inspired heads and freeping solos. Of course the Breuker Kollektief played such stuff as well if they weren't too busy having destructive fun. It seems a "central European" thing of sorts. There are quite a number of Italians that play this kind of music, they all appear on the IIO now and then. Carlo Actis Dato also comes to mind. Will need to investigate this stuff.

Edited by couw

I LOVE (but then who wonders, I AM strange... :w )

Glad to have a thread dedicated to their music!

"Skies of Europe" (ECM) is a very good album, in my opinion.

Then, on Leo, there's a 2CD set "Instabile Festival" or something, featuring the Instabile musicians in various small groups (tb-duo, tp-duo, trios, brass-quintet, anything), as well as the full band. Recorded live at a festival dedicated to them.

The disc with Taylor, well, similar experience here as brownie - it grows and grows and grows and grows...

But then, I guess to really hear them, you got to check them out live.

ubu

PS: and let me add a warning:

ATTENTION: INSTABILE is ECLECTIC (IN THE BEST SENSE, IF YOU ASK ME) - PURISTS BEWARE!! :g:g:g

Edited by king ubu

I'm not in the mood to elaborate so you may ignore this, but my vote for the next one to pick would be: "Litania Sibilante" (accessible yet diverse material, the beginning 5 secs are almost surely the loudest part; diverse it is has a nice rendition of Loverman and the final tune has..hmm well I won't give it away)

Uhm, have I already mentioned that I love them?  :unsure:

So, you´re for "kitchen-sink" approach? <_<

;)

I really don't get that kitchen sink stuff - is there a connection to Robert Gober?

Gober.jpg

ROBERT GOBER

(American, born 1954)

Inverted Sink, 1985.

Plaster, wood, wire lath, steel, and paint

61 1/4 x 102 1/4 x 24" (168.3 x 259.7 x 61 cm.)

Sarah Norton Goodyear Fund, 2003

mcbreen4-20-6.jpg

Robert Gober

Broom Sink and Urinal

gober_large_1.jpg

Robert Gober: Split-Up Conflicted Sink, 1985

Plaster, wood, steel, wire mesh, satin enamel lacquer

206 x 207 x 64 cm

(read more here)

Now you make me confused! :wacko::blink::ph34r:

I remember seeing these guys on their Canadian tour back in either 1995 or 1996. Pretty way out stuff. Gianluigi Trovessi was in the lineup (he's mellowed of late) and possibly also Enrico Rava - can't be sure as I saw his 'Carmen' band around the same time and I may have them confused.

Trovessi has just completed a gig here in the UK at the Bath Festival and, as usual, he was in excellent form and provided a really superb show.

Edited by sidewinder

I had heard of the Italian Instabile Orchestra but never really bothered to check them until I purchased the Enja album with Cecil Taylor 'The Owner of the River Bank'. Since you're getting into CT now, check that one! I like it more each time I listen to it.

Brownie,

I know exactly what you are talking about. I picked it up a few days ago and I think this album is amazing, AMAZING, A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!!!! Every time I listen to it I discover something new. CT proves again he is a genius. IMHO, one of the best new releases of the last months.

:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

Anyone else heard this CD - Owner of the Riverbank? I did see a middling review on line. It has turned up used at a secret shop near me, and I am going to snag it tomorrow. If I am not crazy about it, I'll be willing to trade in a week or so.

Anyone else heard this CD - Owner of the Riverbank? I did see a middling review on line. It has turned up used at a secret shop near me, and I am going to snag it tomorrow. If I am not crazy about it, I'll be willing to trade in a week or so.

You got to give it more than a week, I think. Three listens might not be enough - it really grows, just as brownie said! I'd say if you don't like it after two or three listens, keep it, listen again a couple of times two or three weeks later. It needs time (as does all CT music).

ubu

Anyone else heard this CD - Owner of the Riverbank?  I did see a middling review on line.  It has turned up used at a secret shop near me, and I am going to snag it tomorrow.  If I am not crazy about it, I'll be willing to trade in a week or so.

You got to give it more than a week, I think. Three listens might not be enough - it really grows, just as brownie said! I'd say if you don't like it after two or three listens, keep it, listen again a couple of times two or three weeks later. It needs time (as does all CT music).

ubu

Cecil Taylor's music is not easy to digest. It is not easy listening or background music. But with this album, I didn’t have any problem. I loved it from the first time I listened to it, from the first note to the last one. And I agree with Brownie: the more I listen to it, the more I like it. But if you don’t like, give it more chances as Ubu suggested.

Edited by B. Goren.

• 1 year later...

I´m afraid that my visit to London will be too short (from Friday 11 to Sunday 13) to catch Wilson. But it will be very nice to get back to London after more than 15 years, in a jazz-oriented trip, and with the pleasure to share this weekend with my good friend and member of this board Fer Urbina.

This thread coming up again made me play the great live release on Leo again! Love it!

lr182.jpg

Pino Minafra, trumpet, flugelhorn, didgeridoo; Guido Mazzon, trumpet, flugelhorn; Alberto Mandarini, trumpet; Giancarlo Schiaffini, trombone, tuba; Sebi Tramontana, trombone, voice; Lauro Rossi, trombone; Martin Mayes, French horn; Mario Schiano, alto saxophone, voice; Eugenio Colombo, soprano and alto saxophones, flute; Carlo Actis Dato, tenor and baritone saxophones, bass clarinet; Daniele Cavallanti, tenor and baritone saxophones; Gianluigi Trovesi, alto saxophone, clarinet, bass clarinet; Renato Geremia, violin; Paolo Damiani, cello, bass, voice; Bruno Tommaso, bass; Giorgio Gaslini, piano; Vincenzo Mazzone, drums, percussion, timpani; Tiziano Tononi, drums, percussion.

Detriti (14:18)

Ippopotami (08.10)

La czarda dell'aborigeno (10.20)

Pierrot Solaire (13.17)

Noci...Strani frutti No. 1 (12.06)

I virtuosi di Noci (13.45)

Munasterio e Santa Chiara (01.10)

Track 3 recorded on 30 June 1991 at Europa Jazz Festival, Noci; other tracks recorded on 24 January 1992 at Festival International du Jazz, Rive-de-Gier. Cover design (reproduced above) by Guiseppe Genco.