Creed breaks up

from the AP:

Rock Band Creed Breaks Up After 3 Albums

20 minutes ago

By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer

NEW YORK - The spiritually inclined band Creed, whose anthemic hits "Higher" and "With Arms Wide Open" helped them become one of the top-selling rock acts of the past decade, has called it quits.

AP Photo

Related Links

• Creed web sites

Three former Creed members immediately announced they were forming a new band — minus singer Scott Stapp (news) — but were quick to say it was not "just Creed with a different singer."

Creed's three albums sold a combined 24 million copies in the United States. While many critics dismissed them as pale Pearl Jam imitators, Creed members used that as creative fuel and laughed all the way to the bank.

Lyricist Stapp grew up with a strict religious upbringing and often explored those topics in song. At one point five of the first eight queries on the "frequently asked questions" section of the Florida-based band's Web site dealt with Christianity, including "Is Creed a Christian band?"

The band always said no.

Stapp and guitarist Mark Tremonti (news) were longtime friends and songwriting partners whose relationship soured in the past couple of years, as Tremonti explained in a recent interview with MTV.com.

That caused tension in the band. "There was a lot more drama," drummer Scott Phillips (news) told The Associated Press on Friday. "It wasn't necessarily created by anyone in particular. It just stopped being fun."

Stapp was not available for comment, said a spokesman for Wind-up Records.

Creed took most of last year off, and reconvened in the winter to come up with new material. "The vibe just wasn't the same," Phillips said.

Still, they weren't about to casually disband such a successful unit. The band had initially figured on taking a hiatus, but a side project was working out so well they decided not to turn back, Phillips said.

The new band, Alter Bridge, features Tremonti, Phillips and former Creed bassist Brian Marshall. Singer-songwriter Myles Kennedy, formerly of the band Mayfield Four, was recruited as the fourth member. Their first album is due out in August.

Phillips described the music as edgier than Creed, with the musicians given more space to show off their chops.

"We don't want to make it seem like it's just Creed with a different singer," he said.

Stapp's first solo recording will be on a soundtrack of music inspired by the film "The Passion of the Christ." He's working on a solo album with the Canadian band the Tea Party.

Thank GOD!!!!!! Creed was hands down one of the worst bands that I've heard in years...just can't understand why anybody ever fell for this crap. What an awful singer! Anyway, at least it's one less EMO band....now if Pearl Jam would just call it quits...

:blink:

my gosh! surely someone will come to their defense! this is an all out massacre!

:rfr

Except that your average Creed "fan" usually only responds in this way:

U SUCK U JUST WISH U WR AS COOL AS SCOTT STAPP OMYGOD HE IS SO HOT U JUST WISH U WR AS HOT AS HE IS AND THERE MUSIC IS DEEP U JUST WISH U WR AS DEEP R U GAY? U MUST BE YEAH I BET U

Or something along those lines.

Anyhow, the bit that worries me is this guy doing a song for an album "inspired by" The Passion movie. (Aside: when is this asinine concept of albums "inspired by" a movie gonig to stop? I guess at the same time people stop spending their money on such crap). I can only imagine his song:

I don't want your sympathy as I hang here dying for you

I only wanted to touch you and now I'm hanging here for you

I saw a movie that looked like my life, that guy also had long hair

He was like me, they turned on him too, and now I'm all alone like that guy there

(Cue insanely loud high-mixed bombastic alt-metal-thud)

Because the chains of love they whip my back, I'm bleeding all for you

I only wanted for you to see me as the deep tortured Jim Morrison wannabe that I am......

(Back to Pearl-Jam-ripoff-riff, followed by more bellowing, guitar solo, mix, edit, press, sell, make a million bucks)

Thank GOD!!!!!! Creed was hands down one of the worst bands that I've heard in years...just can't understand why anybody ever fell for this crap. What an awful singer! Anyway, at least it's one less EMO band....now if Pearl Jam would just call it quits...

:blink:

Hey Shawn,

Yeah, I agree with you that Creed needed to go, and thankfully they did. But man, please don't call Creed an Emo band!!! They were sooooo far away from anything related to that genre.... Man, there is NO WAY my mind can even fathom or imagine Creed on Jade Tree Records!!!

Cheers,

Shane