I'm not really into country music

if you want to know what a minor ninth is, go to the piano and strike two keys 1/2 step apart (b and c, or c and csharp, d and e flat, etc etc) - there it is - and it ain't no job, it's part of life - like the birds singing or the wind blowing -

The next time I'll meet a piano I'll try it. :cool:

Edited by porcy62

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you want to know what a minor ninth is, go to the piano and strike two keys 1/2 step apart (b and c, or c and csharp, d and e flat, etc etc) - there it is - and it ain't no job, it's part of life - like the birds singing or the wind blowing -

That's a minor 2nd. A minor 9th is an octave plus a minor 2nd. If we really want to confuse things, we could call it a 17th.

same thing, 7/4 - same notes, same thing in real practice in relation to the chord - (in other words, if I am playing a dflat over a c chord, doesn't matter where the octave is since the chord is the chord) - the musician playing it is hearing the 1/2 tone clash, which is what gives it its sound - I feel this way in the same way that I feel a 6th is a 6th even with a dominant 7th present - it's what the musician is hearing that determines this, not necessarily the underlying harmonic theory -

Edited by AllenLowe

same thing, 7/4 - same notes, same thing in real practice in relation to the chord - (in other words, if I am playing a dflat over a c chord, doesn't matter where the octave is since the chord is the chord) - the musician playing it is hearing the 1/2 tone clash, which is what gives it its sound - I feel this way in the same way that I feel a 6th is a 6th even with a dominant 7th present - it's what the musician is hearing that determines this, not necessarily the underlying harmonic theory -

You take me too seriously! :g

Here's a goodin' from a good ol' boy:

Mama Tried

The first thing I remember knowing,

Was a lonesome whistle blowing,

And a young un's dream of growing up to ride;

On a freight train leaving town,

Not knowing where I'm bound,

No-one could change my mind but Mama tried.

One and only rebel child,

From a family, meek and mild:

My Mama seemed to know what lay in store.

Despite all my Sunday learning,

Towards the bad, I kept on turning.

'Til Mama couldn't hold me anymore.

And I turned twenty-one in prison doing life without parole.

No-one could steer me right but Mama tried, Mama tried.

Mama tried to raise me better, but her pleading, I denied.

That leaves only me to blame 'cos Mama tried.

Dear old Daddy, rest his soul,

Left my Mom a heavy load;

She tried so very hard to fill his shoes.

Working hours without rest,

Wanted me to have the best.

She tried to raise me right but I refused.

And I turned twenty-one in prison doing life without parole.

No-one could steer me right but Mama tried, Mama tried.

Mama tried to raise me better, but her pleading, I denied.

That leaves only me to blame 'cos Mama tried.

• 3 weeks later...

well, there's the ususal: Hank Williams, George Jones, Loretta Lynn, Roy Acuff, Merle Hagard, Johnny and Jack, Kitty Wells, Johnny Cash, Merle Travis, Lefty Frizell, Jean Shepard - and than some of the older stuff - Webb Pierce, Faron Young, tons of 1950s Honky Tonk - plus Ernest Tubb and the old guys - Fiddlin John Carson, Dave Macon, Frank Hutchison, Riley Puckett, Kelly Harrell, East Texas Serenaders - a lot of good stuff worth checking out -

Ah, now there's the real stuff!

well, there's the ususal: Hank Williams, George Jones, Loretta Lynn, Roy Acuff, Merle Hagard, Johnny and Jack, Kitty Wells, Johnny Cash, Merle Travis, Lefty Frizell, Jean Shepard - and than some of the older stuff - Webb Pierce, Faron Young, tons of 1950s Honky Tonk - plus Ernest Tubb and the old guys - Fiddlin John Carson, Dave Macon, Frank Hutchison, Riley Puckett, Kelly Harrell, East Texas Serenaders - a lot of good stuff worth checking out -

Allen, was it Fiddlin John Carson who had a wonderful song about a woman so evil, that even after being killed by her man, she couldn't get into hell?(It's been a few years since I heard it, but it was a killer song, so to speak)

• 8 months later...

Freddy Fender diagnosed with incurable cancer :(

Doctors find tumors on singer's lungs

By Cassandra Hinojosa Caller-Times

August 2, 2006

Grammy award-winning musician Freddy Fender is battling incurable cancer after doctors told him in June he had multiple tumors on his lungs.

Fender, 69, who began his career in the late '50s, topped the Billboard charts throughout the decades with "Before The Next Teardrop Falls," "Wasted Days and Wasted Nights," and "You'll Lose A Good Thing."

Now resting at his Corpus Christi home, Fender hasn't performed since New Year's Eve and all his bookings have been canceled, according to Fender's wife and manager Vangie Huerta.

"Doctors said there wasn't anything they could do for him," said Huerta, who didn't ask doctors how long her husband might live. "We can prolong his life with medication or chemo, but it's not a cure."

Since the start of the year, Fender's health has been a roller coaster ride.

He went in for an operation in early January to remove the upper left lobe of his lung because of a fungal infection called aspergillosis, but the lobe was left intact because two lemon-sized tumors were discovered. Fender is taking antibiotics for the fungal infection.

Fender underwent chemo-therapy in late January, but decided later to stop treatment because of the severe effects on his body.

While a PET scan showed the tumors shrank from the chemotherapy, it also revealed nine smaller tumors in his pleura — membranes covering the lungs and lining the chest cavity.

The couple decided Fender would undergo a lower dosage of chemotherapy once every three weeks at the Cancer Therapy & Research Center in San Antonio. According to Huerta, other alternatives presented by doctors were taking medication or letting the cancer take its course.On Sept. 27, Fender will go to the Cancer Treatment Centers of America at Southwestern Regional Medical Center in Tulsa, Okla., to discuss his options.

Huerta said the 5-foot-10 entertainer’s weight has dropped from 170 to 145 pounds.

"The chemo is hard, but Freddy is taking it," said Huerta, who gets tears in her eyes when she talks about her husband’s condition. "We’re hoping for a miracle. We’ve just gotten very spiritual."

Fender, who in 2002 received a kidney transplant from his daughter Marla Garcia and a liver transplant in 2004, isn’t ready to give up the fight.

"I woke up this morning and I’m ahead of the pack — to my surprise," joked Fender. "I feel OK. I feel all right, but I’m on chemo, so I get side effects. I’m getting ready for my third treatment for the second time."

Fender hasn’t lost his sense of humor either, saying that with his hair, still short from earlier chemotherapy, and a full mustache, he looks more like Santa Claus.

He’s practicing his singing at home and says his voice sounds as good as ever. One of these days, he said he hopes to get back on the road for more shows.

"I feel very comfortable in my life," said Fender, who prays daily. "I’m one year away from 70 and I’ve had a good run. I really believe I’m OK. In my mind and in my heart, I feel OK. I cannot complain that I haven’t lived long enough, but I’d like to live longer.

I think if one picks and chooses carefully, there's some OK country music out there. I've been putting together some compilation CD's using i-Tunes and I made one of nothing but country. Some of the artists I included were Dwight Yokum, Reba, Tammy Wynette, Don Williams, Asleep At The Wheel, Merle Haggard, The Mavericks (their lead singer, Raoul Malo, has a really good voice) and even one by Roy Rogers. Yes, that Roy Rogers.

I saw Lyle Lovett's Large Band a couple of years back. Not exactly all country all the time, but very tight and very entertaining. I've also seen Dwight Yokum. He puts on a good show. He's got a fair amount of charisma.

Far from my music of choice, but on occasion, I can get into it.

Up over and out.

Thanks for the post of Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys in front of their bus. Any jazz fan who gives an honest listen to their music will find some seriously swinging big band music with compelling solos. Their "Big Beaver" is to me one of the best swing big band recordings, by anyone. This was a heavyweight musical organization.

"Big Beaver" huh? Sounds like a follow up to the old Light Crust Doughboys song "Pussy Pussy Pussy" -

(not kidding - it's a pretty funny tune)

I don't know if we are referring to the same song. I am thinking of an instrumental. The notes to my Wills compilation state that it refers to a Big Beaver Refinery in Texas, an oil refinery. That could be made up though, I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...