How 'bout a Terry Gibbs 50's/60's Mercury Mosaic?

I was checking out a bunch of his old Mercury titles over the weekend....and this is some nice upbeat stuff...particularly his first one w/Herman Wright & Terry Pollard ('Dickie's Dream' is nice!) which seems to be the only one currently available. Sure, the Pete Jolly swinging accordian biz on 'Plays the Duke' takes a little getting used to.....but it grows on you. The live "Explosion" date w/Kamuca and Candoli is great and ...as is 'Allens All-Stars' w/Red Mitchell, Al Viola and Gus Bivona playing clarinet. These EmArcy LPs contain alot of fun lovin' material and there are a boatload of thede Merc/EmArcy titles (7 or 8?) out there.

Luckily this one is out. . . .

457509.jpg

I think I have them all, but yeah, a Mosaic would be nice. More Terry Pollard is always a good thing, who knows there may be extra material Mosaic could unearth as well. Someone should email and suggest it.

The drag of the Mosaic idea is. . . the original cover art won't be there. . .and there are some . . . well ATTRACTIVE covers!

Excellent idea!

However the Terry Gibbs Dream bands that came out on Mercury and Verve are now being reissued by Contemporary.

The 'Explosion' album on Mercury is now available as 'The Big Cat', volume 5 of the TG Dream Band series on Contemporary.

Still material that could be included besides those that Gibbs got Contemporary to put out, including a favorite, Terry Gibbs Plays the Duke.

There are also some great dates on MGM, Verve, that could be all incorporated eh?

Edited by jazzbo

The stuff on Brunswick would be prime Mosaic material. a good part of it has only been issued on ep or 45 rpm, and the lp on Brunswick is a tough one to find. All of it is first rate material, very much in a Hermanite vein.

Contemporary has only issued the live big band material. "Launching of a Big Band" is another great lp, a studio recording which has not been on cd.

I'm partial to the quartets with Terry Pollard. She was a fine pianist, and she and Gibbs had considerable empathy as musicians.

Edited by Pete B

So the EmArcy LPs are:

Terry Gibbs (1956)

Vibes on velvet (1956)

Mallets-a-plenty (1956)

Swingin' Terry Gibbs (1956)

More vibes on velvet (1956)

Terry plays the Duke (1958)

Steve Allen's all-stars (1958)

And on Mercury:

Launching a new sound in music (1959)

Explosion! (1962)

Jewish melodies in jazztime (1963)

The drag of the Mosaic idea is. . . the original cover art won't be there. . .and there are some . . . well ATTRACTIVE covers!

Yes they are....here's a couple of 'em. Did anyone drop a note to Mosaic? I'd do it but I don't really have much of a relationship with any of 'em. Any volunteers? ...maybe a job for 'ol Tod? :w

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I decided to get off the dime and send a note to them. Word back is that this is "a real possibility". Apparently the good folks at Mosaic have already had conversations with Gibbs about going down this road....sounds like this one could come together nicely. This'll be a great set! :tup

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

• 1 year later...

Anybody have a track & personnel listing for MALLETS-A-PLENTY? I have a CD-R of it, but nada info.

According to my Bruyninckx discography, Modern Jazz, Vol.2: D-H, pages 604-605:

Mallets-A-Plenty - EmArcy MG 36075

Recorded in NYC on September 14, 1955

Personnel:

Terry Gibbs - vibraphone

Terry Pollard - piano

Herman Wright - bass

Bert Dale (Niels Dahlander) - drums

Track:

Soupy's On

Recorded in NYC on June 15, 1956

Personnel:

Terry Gibbs - vibraphone

Terry Pollard - piano

Herman Wright - bass

Jerry Segal - drums

Tracks:

Then It Happens

Haunted

Gibberish

Er-Bee-I

I'll Remember April

Nothing to It

Mean to Me

Edited by J.A.W.

Well, I decided to get off the dime and send a note to them. Word back is that this is "a real possibility". Apparently the good folks at Mosaic have already had conversations with Gibbs about going down this road....sounds like this one could come together nicely. This'll be a great set! :tup

EDIT: Ain't gonna happen.

History...........dust...............archives. :mellow:

So the EmArcy LPs are:

Terry Gibbs (1956)

Vibes on velvet (1956)

Mallets-a-plenty (1956)

Swingin' Terry Gibbs (1956)

More vibes on velvet (1956)

Terry plays the Duke (1958)

Steve Allen's all-stars (1958)

And on Mercury:

Launching a new sound in music (1959)

Explosion! (1962)

Jewish melodies in jazztime (1963)

Also:

El Nutto (Limelight, a Mercury subsidiary)

EDIT: Ain't gonna happen.

History...........dust...............archives. :mellow:

Did they say why not?