Euro 2004

how can we play so bad on a major tournament!!???!!!!!

what the hell is Silvestre doing on the french team?? is Santini stupid or what??

Marcus, just remember the French disaster at the 2002 World Cup when the team that won the 1998 Cup was out by the first round without having scored a single goal!

As for Silvestre, he is not that bad a player but after helping the opposite teams score in each of the three first first matches he played, he should be out of the Bleus for the duration!

And Santini has announced just before the start of Euro2004 that he would no longer be the team coach right after the French last match in the tournament. He will head for Tottenham next season.

Santini is the latest in a succession of inept coaches. We have not had a decent coach since Michel Hidalgo. Aime Jaquet was just lucky to have the top players available. At least he made good use of them. Then Roger Lemerre was a disaster.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i´m so pissed off against the french team...

how can we play so bad on a major tournament!!???!!!!!

the players can't be tired as they're not running at all during the games. they are not playing with energy, professionalism and deserving to win the competition....

Marcus:

Most of your post is applicable to the Spanish team... and at least France is gonna take part in the next stage! :angry:

I am completely ashamed of how Spain has played. OK that in many previous championships we played well and then we lost, but with a coach like this... BTW he was renewed BEFORE the tournament: fuck stupid Spanish football federation!!! :rmad:

(anyway he SHOULD resign)

And with some players totally off fit. Raul is the most clear example: it´s been his worst year ever without any doubt, but he´s kinda totem in the Spanish team. Results: he has been a heavy charge, not having added anything at all.

:bwallace:

2-1 for England, that Rooney twit again (don't like his style, but he does make his points doesn't he? ;) )

Couw - I'm courious why do you think Rooney is a twit ?

hey, I just don't like the looks on him, that okay? :rmad:

;)

Rooney's now being hailed in England as the "new Pele". Talking about grave exaggeration...

I think Rooney's a decent to good finisher - but extraordinary dribbling/passing skills or footbal-wits he has not.

I think he's a bit more special than that , some of his dribbling & skill was exceptional against the French, but Pele he's not.

And currently valued at a bargain price !!!

from the BBC site

Everton boss David Moyes has admitted he would think about selling Wayne Rooney if a club offered £50m for him.

Speculation linking the 18-year-old with a move to Manchester United or Chelsea has raged in the wake of his four goals for England at Euro 2004.

Moyes told the Everton website: "I think if somebody came in with £50m, everybody in the country would be saying that we'd be right to take it.

"I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a price on everybody's head - there is."

I think Rooney's a decent to good finisher - but extraordinary dribbling/passing skills or footbal-wits he has not.

I think he's a bit more special than that , some of his dribbling & skill was exceptional against the French, but Pele he's not.

Although also Pele was a star when he was 17 (sweden, 1958),you cant compare Pele to Rooney. Pele played in a complete different position. Rooney is a great scorer and he proved already that during the game he does not see only the net but also some other players (ask Paul Scholes), and this is a very important skil for every player.

Edited by B. Goren.

The eyes of the Italians will be on the Sweden-Denmark match tonight. With plenty of suspicion...

From AP:

Reaching 2-2 draw would look suspicious for Sweden and Denmark

PORTO, Portugal (AP)— Sweden wishes that speculation of a possible deal with Denmark to reach a 2-2 draw in their final Euro 2004 group phase match would go away.

The Swedes and Danes, who need a win to advance to the quarterfinals, could also ensure both their places in the quarterfinals with a 2-2 draw, eliminating Italy in the process.

The Swedes insist they have arranged no deal with the Danes, but such a result would certainly leave many suspicious, especially with the Italians.

According to Britain's largest on-line betting service betfair.com, a whopping 82 percent of people betting on the match's outcome have predicted the result will be 2-2.

However, in their past 96 clashes, Sweden and Denmark have only reached a 2-2 draw three times.

The most common result between the two has been 2-1. The Danes won 10 times with this score, the Swedes eight.

The two Scandinavian nations have played only three times to a 3-3 tie. The final whistle has blown at 4-4 just once.

Provided Italy wins, only seven of their 96 clashes have ended with a score that would get both teams to the quarterfinals.

"A 2-2 draw is unlikely," said Lars Lagerback, who pairs with Tommy Soderberg to co-coach the Swedish national team. "Our matches are usually very tight clashes and I think it will be the same tomorrow.

"We would be very pleased with a draw that would get us in. But we not aiming for it. We want to win."

And what if the team reaches a 2-2 draw with an hour left to play?

"Of course 2-2 would be a good result for both teams," said Arsenal midfielder Freddie Ljungberg. "But at 2-2 with an hour left to play, we would not play just to preserve that.

"Denmark could try to score and then we would be out. We are trying to win this game."

Sweden can advance if it wins or reaches any kind of draw. Denmark needs either a victory or at least a 2-2 tie in order to beat out Italy on goal differential.

"Denmark needs goals so it will probably attack a lot and make things dangerous for us," said Swedish team captain Olof Mellberg.

Speculation of a possible deal between the two Scandinavian countries surfaced immediately following Sweden's late 1-1 comeback draw with Italy on Friday.

Sweden tops Group C with four points. Denmark also have four, but sits second behind the Swedes based on goal difference.

Italy is third with two points and closes on Tuesday with Bulgaria, which is already eliminated.

Going back and forth from one game to the other. At least three channels from the cable TV system are broadcasting the Italy-Bulgaria match. I have to watch the Denmark-Sweden match relayed on Algerian TV (with arabic speaking commentaries) and spend more time watching this exciting match. Much better than the Italian match. The Italiam tactics arfe even more frustrating than the French ones.

What a beauty that Danish goal was!

Caught the Bulgarian penaly shoot. The Italians are in bad shape. Not a good match. Will spend even more time watching Algerian TV for the second half.

Vergogna! Italians are out in the first round.

Now if the Sweden-Denmark even score is to be questioned and if some suggest this was fixed to have those two teams go to the second round, their exciting match was played by fine actors.

As far as I am concerned, both Denmark and Sweden deserved to go to the quarterfinals!

Vergogna! Italians are out in the first round.

Now if the Sweden-Denmark even score is to be questioned and if some suggest this was fixed to have those two teams go to the second round, their exciting match was played by fine actors.

As far as I am concerned, both Denmark and Sweden deserved to go to the quarterfinals!

I agree, great match to watch.