Favorite Rare Groove Poll #1

AfricaBrass

Of this list, which is your favorite  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As connoisseur series500 series requested, I have made my Rare Groove poll. These titles are some of my favorites.

I was really tempted to just do a John Patton only poll because they are all very greazy, but I was good included 1 title from each artist.

So if you're not polled out, please vote.

:rsmile:

Yeah, I did pick some of my favorites. They are pretty hard choices. My personal pick is John Patton's Boogaloo. I have it on vinyl and cd and it's lifted me out of the dumps a few times.

I just realized that most of my titles are older Rare Groove releases. It was GREAT being a BN fanatic in the mid-nineties. I couldn't wait for the next batch of issues/reissues to come out. I guess I'm just jaded, but I don't get as excited about the Rare Grooves as I used to. I think for me it's the concentration on Mizell productions as reissues that have taken the fun out of it for me. I'd rather hear the sixties/early-seventies stuff.

I think for me it's the concentration on Mizell productions as reissues that have taken the fun out of it for me. I'd rather hear the sixties/early-seventies stuff.

The good new, then is that they must be just about tapped out as far as the Mizell stuff goes :)

Speaking of tapped out, just how much more potential Rare Groove material is there out there? They've issued quite a few of these. Is ther much more left?

Just curious as I'm a big fan of the series.

I only have 4 of those above, and Kofi is my favorite of the 4. I like Electric Byrd but not as much.

Looks like I need to get the Patton.

My favorite McDuff is Moon Rappin', but I dig the grease on Down Home Style too. :rsmile:

Edited by Noj

I voted for "Two-Headed Freep" as well. This is another one of those pleasant surprises as i hadn't heard anything by Ronnie Foster previous to this, but it sure is damn funky. "Easy Walker" and "Love Bug" are also favorites.

Ray

I hate these types of polls since I enjoy so many of them. I did vote for Kofi, probably because I've been on a late period Byrd binge lately.

I'm a huge fan of the Pattons in this series as well as Two Headed Freap. The most kick ass version of Let's Stay Together I've ever heard. Dusty Groove has a bunch of the French Groove Experience releases for $11.99 including Foster's Sweet Revival - which I really dig.

I really enjoy last year's Rare Groove releases - particularly Moon Rappin'. It's spacey and grooves like crazy.

DOWN HOME STYLE by many miles! Even the cover is greeeazy enough to give ya a heart attack! :excited:

Now, if BLUE MODE had been on there instead of LOVE BUG, I'd still be trying to decide. :wacko:

Plus, I've never heard BOOGALOO, but I gotta figure it's good & greeeazy simply because it's BIG John!

Great poll!!!

Damn, I just tried to view the results before I voted and it barred me from casting a vote afterwards! Oh well, I just want you to know my vote would have been....BOOGALOO!!!!!

Also, I'm with AfricaBrass.... What a joy it was to DISCOVER those first batches of Rare Grooves in the mid-Nineties. Boogaloo, Love Bug, Understanding, Good Gracious and so many, many others that have become the cornerstones of my love for this music.

I had to go with Kofi on this one but it was a hard choice. Nice to hear Byrd at the biginning of a very major change. I thought they did a very good job with this one.

I also like Blue Mitchell's, Down With It, except for his rendition of High Heel Sneakers. To me it just ruins the set. I really like Blue and think he is a great talent but that is one cover I wish he would have omitted.

Interesting poll.