Earl Hines Plays Duke Ellington

JSngry

Need a recommendation here, please.

Is this set the same as the Master Jazz sides? It's a four LP set, so I'm assuming that it is. If not, we can stop here.

Now - I know that the MJ stuff was all reissued on New World CD, but Volume 1 seems to be OOP for some reason, or at least has another title. All I can find in-pring is Volume 2.

So - does the New World stuff issue anything not on the MJ sides, or is it a straight reissue of the material?

Finally (in parts) - did the B-o-t-M set come with a book of any sorts? The set I saw had pasted on liner notes by Stanley Dance on the back of the box and nothing further inside. Did the MJ albums use the same notes? What about the annotation for the New World discs? Straight reprint? If so, of what? If new notes, then by whom?

Yeah, I ask a lot of questions, I know. But I saw the B-o-t-M set recently for $25, in what seemed to be pretty good condition, but I want this music in as complete and well-annotated package as is available. I''ve put off getting it WAY too long.

As always, thanks in advance!

Not sure about the BOTM Club material. I do know that the Mosaic set only had ONE track of Earl Hines Ellington material; "Mood Indigo" is in the New World and the Mosaic set. I think that the material in the Mosaic is otherwise not duplicated on New World (that is: the material does not show up on either volumes of the Ellington cds --three total-- nor on the Plays Cole Porter cd).

The last time I was looking all three Ellington cds were compiled (not remastered again or anything just stuffed into a three banger) as a three cd set that is still available. I think the separate volumes were sort of dropped but some may still be around.

This (Earl plays and interprets Eddie K) is some of the very best solo piano I have ever heard!

It seems if you look closely at the three entries for the titles in cduniverse they have all three discs. . . separately now as two cds in Volume two and the single first volume.

Here is the cover for the three cd set which amazon.com has at a better combined price:

B00000J39U.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...351218?v=glance

Quite nice sound. It's not got real oddity. . . you know, none of that weirdly reproduced keyboard that defies the laws of physics such as can be found someplaces like the Marcus Roberts RCA solo sides. :huh: A tad DRY (I always love to hear the soundboard resonating like on the RCA Willie the Lion Smith sides, know what I mean?) but that only on a really analytical system. (Got one of dose).

You should go the the New World site and check out the various "quantity deals". I think if you buy 2, you get 1 free OR buy 10 and the disc price drops to $10.

The 2 disc set has notes by Stanley Crouch and Bill Weilbacher (producer). The other volume has 4 pages of notes by Weilbacher.

Quite nice sound. It's not got real oddity. . . you know, none of that weirdly reproduced keyboard that defies the laws of physics such as can be found someplaces like the Marcus Roberts RCA solo sides. :huh:

There's something wrong with the sound of the Marcus Roberts solo discs?

I just don't like the way they're recorded; the keyboard is unrealistically presented in stereo on my systems at least! Things like this and drummers whose kit is split between channels meaning they have a 20' left arm etc. really bug me!

I have no complaint with the sound. I actually listen to them in mono on one of my systms (which has a mono switch).

Thanks for filling in the information about the notes Chuck.

Nice suggestion about the deals on the website too:

SPECIAL OFFER #1

Purchase 2 discs at the regular price of $15.99 each and choose 1 disc absolutely free ($5.00 total for shipping and handling)

SPECIAL OFFER #2

Purchase 4 discs at the regular price of $15.99 each and choose 2 additional discs absolutely free ($6.00 total for shipping and handling)

SPECIAL OFFER #3

Purchase 10 or more discs for only $10.00 each, and we will pay for shipping and handling. U.S. Only All others will be charged actual airmail rates.

http://www.newworldrecords.org/

I just don't like the way they're recorded; the keyboard is unrealistically presented in stereo on my systems at least! Things like this and drummers whose kit is split between channels meaning they have a 20' left arm etc. really bug me!

I have no complaint with the sound. I actually listen to them in mono on one of my systms (which has a mono switch).

Strange. I have my speakers 10 feet apart and never noticed this. I actually find those Marcus Roberts disc are some of the best recorded piano sound I have ever heard!