The Grateful Dead Dark Star

jazzbo

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

St. Louis '69 is a great choice, Lon! An all-time favorite of mine.

If anybody ever finds a better version of the Cryptical/Other One suite, let me know about it!

I don't believe I've heard this one. Guess that's in store for later.

Meantime, it will be up against the Harpur College version. Jerry soars so high at the end! That lick with which he usually ended the jam and eased into the second verse--so intense that he kept on going anyway.

Not to break the flow or anything, but has anyone been listening to the "Phil Lesh and Friends Instant Live" CDs from the tour. I've picked some of 'em up (a couple with Greg Osby and a couple with John Scofield). They're all really nice, but the ones with Scofield have some really great moments. He fits in really well with the band and the two guitar attack on these CDs are pretty great. Listening the the Nashville show right now. The first CD has some country-ish leanings, but the second CD just jams like crazy. Really like this one alot. Haven't gotten to the third CD yet.

I was hoping Osby would go a little more out than he does with the band, but he's still fine. Phil's band does a great job. And I like Joan Osborne.

Any other opinions?

I haven't listened to enough Phil and Friends stuff, but he seems to be the one who is carrying the torch right now. He does so not only through the excellent playing, but by the rotation of the friends--keeping it fresh. I'm amazed that he didn't have a group on the side during his G.D. tenure as did Jerry, Bobby, and Mickey. Renews the mind and allows all sorts of new ideas and possibilities to emerge--just as so many of the great jazz musicians have done over the years.

I'll keep my ears open.

Let's see if I can really wreck Lon's life"

Download Mozilla Firefox. Go thence to add ons (under tools). Type in "Down them all." Download same. Thence to, say, GDLive.com. Left click the whole column of files. Then, having highlighted the files, right click Down Them All. Thence, take a nap--or better--do something productive like attend to your job :P

So the next Rhino, coming January 15th is...

Band Grateful Dead

Venue Cow Palace

Location Daly City, CA

Date 12/31/76

One The Promised Land [4:00] ; [7:18] ; Bertha [6:23] ; Mama Tried

[2:50] ; They Love Each Other [6:45] ; Looks Like Rain [7:15] ; [1:11]

; Deal [5:21] % Playing In The Band [22:28]

Two Sugar Magnolia [8:30] (1) > Eyes Of The World [12:22] > Wharf Rat

[12:30] > Drums [1:21] > Good Lovin' [7:13] > Samson And Delilah [7:01]

% Scarlet Begonias [11:34] % Around And Around [7:59] % Help On The Way

[4:20] > Slipknot! [12:02] > Drums [0:50] > Not Fade Away [10:38] >

Morning Dew [14:38]

Encore One More Saturday Night [4:43] ; Uncle John's Band > And We Bid

You Good Night

So the next Rhino, coming January 15th is...

Band Grateful Dead

Venue Cow Palace

Location Daly City, CA

Date 12/31/76

One The Promised Land [4:00] ; [7:18] ; Bertha [6:23] ; Mama Tried

[2:50] ; They Love Each Other [6:45] ; Looks Like Rain [7:15] ; [1:11]

; Deal [5:21] % Playing In The Band [22:28]

Two Sugar Magnolia [8:30] (1) > Eyes Of The World [12:22] > Wharf Rat

[12:30] > Drums [1:21] > Good Lovin' [7:13] > Samson And Delilah [7:01]

% Scarlet Begonias [11:34] % Around And Around [7:59] % Help On The Way

[4:20] > Slipknot! [12:02] > Drums [0:50] > Not Fade Away [10:38] >

Morning Dew [14:38]

Encore One More Saturday Night [4:43] ; Uncle John's Band > And We Bid

You Good Night

BTW--is there a link for this?

BTW--is there a link for this?

Sorry I forgot that. I'll give a few. :)

Spincds brief blurb

rec.music.gdead

Steve Hoffman forum link

I already have the show. For a NYE show pretty good (and GRRREAT if you were there I'm sure), but I don't see myself buying this one. Bring on da Winterland '73 box boys! (Gawd I hope that wasn't some intern's web-pretend project.)

12-31-76 looks a good release, easily programmed to include (for starters) about 85+ minutes of Bertha, They Love Each Other, Playing in the Band, Wharf Rat, Scarlet Bs, Help-Slip, and the Dew. We all gotta buy it, to keep 'em coming. '76 releases can pretty much only surprise on the upside. Check out the feedback on the Oakland shows from October. Regarding '76, I offer this snotty opinion: Reflections may be the only studio record after Mars Hotel that I would recommend. I love it, among our all-time favorite getaway tapes to play in the car driving long hours after a screaming show.

Some nice covers for those few Pigpen fans. . . .

http://www.wulfware.de/covers/Index3/GD690613.htm

http://www.wulfware.de/covers/Index3/GD690614.htm

Nice shows too. 6/13 Fresno has some electric piano from Pig! 6/14 is like a triple decker Turn on your Love Light sammich!

What PigPen fans? This is a Vince board. Go on home, your mama's calling you. :g

12-31-76 looks a good release, easily programmed to include (for starters) about 85+ minutes of Bertha, They Love Each Other, Playing in the Band, Wharf Rat, Scarlet Bs, Help-Slip, and the Dew. We all gotta buy it, to keep 'em coming. '76 releases can pretty much only surprise on the upside. Check out the feedback on the Oakland shows from October. Regarding '76, I offer this snotty opinion: Reflections may be the only studio record after Mars Hotel that I would recommend. I love it, among our all-time favorite getaway tapes to play in the car driving long hours after a screaming show.

Snotty opinion seconded. "Mission in the Rain"?