The Grateful Dead Dark Star

jazzbo

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just finished listening to RT Vol 2 No 2 (Carousel Ballroom 2/14/68). A lot of fun. They were fresh and young, with so much energy...full of piss and vinegar, as my Grandfather never said (but it's a great phrase). And did you catch Jerry going into "First there is a mountain..." on his guitar 12:28 into Alligator? Eerie. Very cool.

I was mulling over something which I just don't understand. This album contains most of Anthem of the Sun, and not that long after the album was recorded. I know the Dead's vocals and harmonizing have been much maligned over the years, often with good reason. And indeed, all over this album they're singing parts that are clearly out of their vocal ranges. And yet, they wrote them! Why would they write songs that they couldn't sing?

Why would they write songs that they couldn't sing?

They were the original punks. ;) Probably more than half of the lyrics were written by Robert Hunter (who has his own singing problems), so blame him! :)

Talk about geese farts on a muggy day...Hunter makes Leo Kottke seem like Caruso.

Edited by mjzee

Whatever Hunter's singing problems, my understanding is that he was responsible for the lyrics, rather than the melodies and so on.

So let's just accept - nay, rejoice! - in the knowledge the GD had/have warbling limitations, except for the odd purple patch.

I'm still waiting for the mother of all box sets - The Maternity Leave Sessions.

Reading the reviews of the new Road Trips from Dec 79 on dead.net I was wondering if anybody here got their copy.

Seems to be a lot of issues delivery, charged credit cards and customer service on this one.

I bought the new Jerry Let It Rock from my local shop and its lovely but it doesn't seem to be one I will go back to a lot.

I think I kind of miss the energy from 68 now after hearing the Jan/Feb 68 RT from earlier this year.

Reading the reviews of the new Road Trips from Dec 79 on dead.net I was wondering if anybody here got their copy.

Seems to be a lot of issues delivery, charged credit cards and customer service on this one.

I bought the new Jerry Let It Rock from my local shop and its lovely but it doesn't seem to be one I will go back to a lot.

I pre-ordered both together and they arrived speedily enough. There's a skip during "Truckin'" on the bonus disc (at least on my copy, don't know about others) but I didn't bother them about it. (It's only a '79 "Truckin'" and I have several hundred better versions of the song to choose from.) ;) Despite the skip it's not a bad bonus disc as essentially it's the better part of the show in order with 1st set filler & Drumz tossed out. The perfect Dead show for the busy busy 21st century! :lol:

I love the way Let It Rock begins but there are moments where Nicky is just a little too "tinkly" for my liking. "Sitting In Limbo" is almost like hearing Liberace. Years ago when I traded for the NYE '75 show with Nicky it was a favorite, but now I realize maybe it was because Bob shows up with other "friends," along with perhaps the New Year's Eve atmosphere adding some color. I'll have to break it out sometime as it's been many years since I've played it and see how I feel about it now.

• 2 months later...

My copy of Road Trips Vol. 3, No. 2 from 11/15/71 was waiting for me when I got home last night.

Went straight to Not Fade Away>Jam>Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad>Not Fade Away then to Disc 1 - Dark Star>El Paso>Jam>Casey Jones. Freaking awesome. Great energy and Keith is totally on.

While not as great sounding as other RT's it still quite good, 71 is becoming one of my favorite years.

Edited by WorldB3

My copy arrived last night too. I haven't cracked it yet; I'm doing this insane thing of trying to listen to things as they arrive and I haven't gotten there yet. No Pigpen on this one, which is a drag, but I bet it's great.

Edited by jazzbo

Flurin: Get these two:

WakeFlood.jpg

Blues_for_Allah.jpg

Those two are on their way now! :)

You did good Flurin, you're going to like these.

I'm not totally conviced by these yet... they are wonderfully musical, no denying that, but somehow they seem a bit tame and lacking edge. As of now, I still prefer the earlier albums.

I'm going to see Further Monday night, the band with Bob Weir and Phil Lesh. I've never heard a note this band has played, so it's going to be something of a crapshoot. This is the last date of their West Coast mini-tour. In addition to the original Dead guys, the band consists of John Kadlecik of the Dark Star Orchestra on guitar, Jeff Chimenti of RatDog on keyboards and Jay Lane and Joe Russo on drums. The back up singers (and its always good to have plenty of vocal backup available when Bobby and Phil are involved) are Zoe Ellis and Sunshine Garcia Becker. Should be interesting.

I'm going to see Further Monday night, the band with Bob Weir and Phil Lesh. I've never heard a note this band has played, so it's going to be something of a crapshoot. This is the last date of their West Coast mini-tour. In addition to the original Dead guys, the band consists of John Kadlecik of the Dark Star Orchestra on guitar, Jeff Chimenti of RatDog on keyboards and Jay Lane and Joe Russo on drums. The back up singers (and its always good to have plenty of vocal backup available when Bobby and Phil are involved) are Zoe Ellis and Sunshine Garcia Becker. Should be interesting.

I wanted to see them when they hit Connecticut, but it was sold out. Please let us know how they were.

Sounds like the same Jay Lane who played with Charlie Hunter.

I'm not totally conviced by these yet... they are wonderfully musical, no denying that, but somehow they seem a bit tame and lacking edge. As of now, I still prefer the earlier albums.

I greatly prefer to hear the Wake material live in '73-'74. And Help>Slip!>Frank was a monster live too. You're right, both are fairly tame on album compared to how they did it on stage.

My copy arrived last night too. I haven't cracked it yet; I'm doing this insane thing of trying to listen to things as they arrive and I haven't gotten there yet. No Pigpen on this one, which is a drag, but I bet it's great.

I played the bonus disc today, Truckin>The Other One>Me and My Uncle>The Other One is fantastic. They just attack The Other One. Fans that like the Fall 73 period without Donna but wished it had more energy will love this one. This is one of my favorites from the R.T series.

Edited by WorldB3

I played the bonus disc today, Truckin>The Other One>Me and My Uncle>The Other One is fantastic. They just attack The Other One. Fans that like the Fall 73 period without Donna but wished it had more energy will love this one. This is one of my favorites from the R.T series.

I was waiting for a comment on the bonus Other One as that was the cherry on top that reeled me in. Darn the luck I thought I would have gotten it on Saturday but maybe tomorrow. This release worked great for me as it's a show I didn't have, yet I had always intended to get a few more from this interesting period where Keith was new to the band and the Pig was away.

It's funny (to me at least) how I got started with the Dead with their '71 material (Skull & Roses) yet the more I got into the Dead it was the year I was most likely to ignore (at least of the pre-80s material), the exception being 8-6, the April Fillmores, and sometimes Gaelic Park. The benefit of neglecting the year for so long is now how much I enjoy the material when I hear it. The summer '71 Road Trips helped reintroduce the year to me in a big way, so I'm looking forward to this one. You hear me Ms. Postperson?

Perhaps it helps to have one's sound fidelity expectations lowered, but I think it sounds dandy! I am using the player with the HDCD chip for what's it worth. Unlike WorldB3 I'm not cheating ;) by heading straight for the gooey center but I'm playing it straight through. "Dark Star" hunters will want this, it's purdy. :) While I still hope for a Texas '72 compilation/big box/whatever someday, I'm glad that they had the good sense to release this Texas Road Trip that I didn't know I wanted.

Perhaps it helps to have one's sound fidelity expectations lowered, but I think it sounds dandy! I am using the player with the HDCD chip for what's it worth. Unlike WorldB3 I'm not cheating ;) by heading straight for the gooey center but I'm playing it straight through. "Dark Star" hunters will want this, it's purdy. :) While I still hope for a Texas '72 compilation/big box/whatever someday, I'm glad that they had the good sense to release this Texas Road Trip that I didn't know I wanted.

The Casey Jones after Dark Star smokes on this, I am finding there a number of tunes on here I am burned out on are keeping my interest due to the energy and sequencing. This one is a must.