The Grateful Dead Dark Star

jazzbo

Glad to see they've "officialized" this show as it's a mighty good one. And now we no longer have to hear the complaints that they picked the wrong night for DP 5. :)

DP5 is my favorite Brent recording, disc 2 is stellar, the new road trips sounds like a good one.

Thanks for the comments on the JGB stuff.

Yeah, I forgot to add that I wasn't a complainer about DP 5 coming out. I like it! I ended up doing the Jerry & Road Trip duo. Because you know, you have to spend money to save money right? :)

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just something I wonder about?

Am I right or wrong to assume that the Dead were tossing around the "First there is a Mountain, then there is no Mountain, then there is" riff in jams, before the Allman Bros?

Lon: quoted as it is on Feb 14, 1968 AND during the Fillmore East run on a NFA jam--this comes well before the brothers were the brothers.

Bill, thanks for both of these bits.

I wasn't sure when the Bros. began, so thanks.

The bros started in 1969; mountain was released in 1967. I'm sure the bros picked t up from donovan.

BTW, in that version of NFA, they copy the2-14 lick precicely, including the notes that follow it. Garcia had quite the memory then.

Tempting, anybody have this stuff?

JGB band with Nicky Hopkins release coming out

Double-Disc Collection Includes Rare Early Performances Of The Group’s Original Lineup, Featuring Legendary Pianist Nicky Hopkins, Recorded Live In Berkeley, November 1975

LOS ANGELES — For Jerry Garcia, 1975 was a seminal year that found him splitting time between recording Blues for Allah with the Dead, directing The Grateful Dead Movie, and forming the Jerry Garcia Band–his long-running side project. JGB’s earliest days are the subject of a two-disc live collection recorded during that momentous year. THE JERRY GARCIA COLLECTION, VOL. 2: LET IT ROCK, JERRY GARCIA BAND, NOVEMBER 17 & 18, 1975, KEYSTONE BERKELEY will be available November 10 from Jerry Garcia Family/Rhino at physical retail outlets and at www.dead.net for a suggested list price of $19.98.

I love the hommage to Super Session:

51x5MpBz9YL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

PJ_LetItRock_230x205.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been looking for the Winterland 1977 set with bonus disc- and they're fetching crazy prices on Ebay. I could always buy the set without the bonus- and maybe get a burn of the bonus...what do you think of the bonus disc- is it worth looking for it? I'm a completist that has bonus discs with the other sets.

Thanks- Mike

I've been looking for the Winterland 1977 set with bonus disc- and they're fetching crazy prices on Ebay. I could always buy the set without the bonus- and maybe get a burn of the bonus...what do you think of the bonus disc- is it worth looking for it? I'm a completist that has bonus discs with the other sets.

Thanks- Mike

Just get the set at the best price you can, then worry about the bonus disc. It's OK, but if anything it's slightly less vital than other bonus discs. Whereas the box itself has that wonderful unrolling of complementary set lists that go with a three-night stand.

I hate being wedged by this bonus disc policy.

I was in a similar position with the Road Trips series - wanting them all, and thus buying them as they were released. Now that I've stopped doing that, I feel much betterer, and can with at least some objectivity look at purchasing them on their merits.

Edited by kenny weir

Thanks Kenny- I don't like the bonus disc concept as well- creates an artificial urgency in buying the set. If one comes across my sight with the bonus disc and is a reasonable price- then I'll buy it- but otherwise I'll look for the set without the bonus disc. But I'm still looking for the set with a bonus disc.

Thanks Kenny- I don't like the bonus disc concept as well- creates an artificial urgency in buying the set. If one comes across my sight with the bonus disc and is a reasonable price- then I'll buy it- but otherwise I'll look for the set without the bonus disc. But I'm still looking for the set with a bonus disc.

Cool ... I'm actually a little surprised that this set has taken off on Ebay.

I've told my Melbourne GD buddies that this box is a bit of watershed for me - I'm no addict and have a bunch of other music interests. My buddies have hundreds and hundreds of shows. I have about 50-60.

I'll buy the Road trips if they're super sexy.

But I'll mostly bide my time for the heavyweights - I really dig how these boxes encompass so well eras and turning points. Fillmore 69, Soundtrack '74, Winterland 73, Winterland 77 - I reackon I could easily live with just those.

Edited by kenny weir

Quote: But I'll mostly bide my time for the heavyweights - I really dig how these boxes encompass so well eras and turning points. Fillmore 69, Soundtrack '74, Winterland 73, Winterland 77 - I reackon I could easily live with just those.

Is the Soundtrack '74 the Grateful Dead movie?? I have everything else except Winterland 77- which I'll be getting sometime.

highly recommend the GD movie soundtrack. Great sound capturing the band at a career pinnacle. The movie itself is worth owning especially for the bonus disc with some tremendous jams in 5.1 sound-turn up the sub and let Phil shake the house!

OMG the movie is indispensable. Just a really life-affirming masterpiece. Never get tired of it.

bought some of the 2001 Rhino remasters at the used store yesterday:

The Grateful Dead

Anthem of the Sun

Aoxomoxoa

Live/Dead

American Beauty

Three of those I just bought in the old versions, ain't that crazy? Anyway, they look great and they contain quite some bonus material (except for Live/Dead, which I nevertheless upgraded).

Now it seems like I'll need to upgrade Workingman's Dead, too... same for History of the Grateful Dead Vol. 1 (Bear's Choice)...

Gee, someone could have told me not to buy these old CDs in the first place :rolleyes:

I'll do so... I'll also upgrade "Workingman's Dead" eventually, which I just played on the ipod on the way to work - it might be my favourite right now! I love the simpler approach they take, yet with some of the guitar madness shining through here and there, and some good funky drumming, too... and I'm a sucker for the steel guitar... (I also recently got the three first Emmylou Harris albums, love 'em!)

I played Working Man's Dead and American Beauty a lot in the 'seveneties. . . not so much since. I sort of stopped listening to the Dead when I stopped smoking a certain herb with frequency after that decade ended. When I came back to listening to the Dead in the 'nineties, it was to Wake of the Flood and beyond mostly. . . and mostly the live shows.

Wake of the Flood always seemed a turning point for me. Their own label, a new sense or arrangement and instrumentation, a new set of songs to turn into concert staples. I would guess it's my "desert island Dead studio album."

Buy Wake of the Flood in the 2001 series. See, I told you which version to buy!

It's my favorite. Not sure why, well maybe it's just the sort of fusion of styles that seemd new at the time and is still to me fresh.

Well, we all know you love Keith! WOTF is the last great Dead l.p, imho. I rank it fourth: American Beauty (so subtle and sublime); Europe '72 (a hybrid live/sudio disc), Workingman's, and WOTF. The latter is so "pretty" with Jerry's lilting guitar work and the general laid back tone. Here Comes Sunshine is as good as it gets--as ar Row, Jimmy, Row and Stella Blue. An Weather Report Suite is Bobby's masterwork.

Well, I do love Keith!

A big reason I like this one is that the band and I seem to have been listening to similar things at that time, and when I picked the lp up when it was issued (and I remember how heavy it was!) I was just in tune with their ideas.

It's my favorite, but my other three lp favorites would probably look just like yours. Although I might sneak Blues for Allah in there.