The Grateful Dead Dark Star

jazzbo

Wow, that's very cool.

Glad to hear the sound is great Kenny. I really enjoy the sound on the sets these last few years, outstanding.

This is what I just emailed to my Melbourne GD buddies:

Yes, this a corker - I've been through it once total over the previous two nights.

The sound is brilliant and better than the version of the middle night you made for me, Tony, though I'll keep that as a memento, don't you know!

BTW, isn't Bertha the first track on the 2nd disc of the middle night?

Whatever. I love the guitar sound and the ease with which you can clearly hear BOTH drummers, their interactions with each other and with their colleagues.

I agree with a few comments I have read (Steve Hoffman Forum) that this stuff is the highpoint of the '70s two-drummer schtick. A few years down the road, it gets a bit on the plodding side for me. Stadium rock. Heresy, Kenny; wash yo' mouth out!

And as I said when you folks gathered at our joint, this may be a closing of some sort of my GD purchases.

Having said that, I do like the way key/critical points in the band's history have been summarised by these sorts of sets - Soundtrack, Fillmore '69, Winterland 73 and Winterland 77.

What else could be in line for this sort of treatment?

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was moving my music from one room to another today and came across a copy of the Dead playing with Ornette Coleman at the L.A. Sports Arena in December of 1993. Pretty interesting stuff. Has anyone else heard this? My copy is a CDR and the music is, apparently, unreleased.

Up over and out.

I was moving my music from one room to another today and came across a copy of the Dead playing with Ornette Coleman at the L.A. Sports Arena in December of 1993. Pretty interesting stuff. Has anyone else heard this? My copy is a CDR and the music is, apparently, unreleased.

Up over and out.

Yeah. I just wish it had happened years earlier. Even just five years earlier. Even just two years earlier. Because the two 1993 shows with Ornette guest spots are just too little, too late.

• 2 weeks later...

Any other reviews for this set? I didn't buy it yet and the bonus disc is no longer available. I read the Dead forums and people having issues with disc 6 and the bonus disc and credit card numbers being swiped and I held back.

I'd like to get it though.

I've passed on it due to competing box set(s) madness (Beatles, Bear Family & Mosaic), but a friend of mine who has collected hundreds of shows and already had this run raves about the sound quality. He considers it a significant upgrade even though the previously circulating shows sounded very nice. I don't know if he's had any problems with disc 6.

I haven't had a problem with disc 6 that I'm aware of (I wasn't paying the closest of attention all the time that is was on).

The sound quality is superb!!

It's packaged like the last one, in a small "cigar box." And comes with a button, green with the "Grateful Dead Movie" skeleton.

Any other reviews for this set? I didn't buy it yet and the bonus disc is no longer available. I read the Dead forums and people having issues with disc 6 and the bonus disc and credit card numbers being swiped and I held back.

I'd like to get it though.

Non-availability of bonus disc should not be a deal breaker with this set.

Further reflections:

*The vocals are very good - with only a tiny amount of waywardness. And Garcia sounds, well, great!

*Keith's piano is heard throughout to fine advantage in all sorts situations, moods and styles. This is one of the rare DD sets where I'm actually aware on a conscious level of the keyboard solos.

Against that (but again no deal breaker):

*IIRC, there are no vocals in the first minute or so of three tracks. This sucks. I'm not saying they should "invent" vocals where obviously none exist. But it's not a good look in tersm of pricing. This is top dollar for what should be a top set. The oft-quoted DP 29, by contrast, has no vocal dropouts that I can recall and is six discs for $35 or something.

Edited by kenny weir

knock knock... are new guys allowed in here, 50 pages into this mammoth thread?

here's what I just posted in the listening thread... being a total Dead newbie...

Grateful Dead - Live/Dead

Grateful Dead - History of the Grateful Dead, Vol. 1 (Bear's Choice)

Grateful Dead - Workingman's Dead

Grateful Dead - American Beauty

f57385x93nv.jpgf70198bwo3n.jpg

d68622o2q9r.jpgd68623c3o0n.jpg

The Dead, well... it was the very first time I bought any Dead on Saturday, and I played all four in a row and enjoyed it a lot.

I skipped a few other earlier albums (the second and Aoxomoxoa) - they didn't do much for me upon first listen, too much psychedelia in there... give me the folkish stuff and I'll be happy! I did quite enjoy "Live/Dead" though... sounded similar to Big Brother and the Holding Company (backing Janis, I don't know anything else by them, if there is at all) to my ears... slightly trippier, a bit weirder (and with whimpish/whimsical drumming... not that that is a bad thing, and I'm sure in an actual concert they had more presence and volume...)

knock knock... are new guys allowed in here, 50 pages into this mammoth thread?

here's what I just posted in the listening thread... being a total Dead newbie...

Grateful Dead - Live/Dead

Grateful Dead - History of the Grateful Dead, Vol. 1 (Bear's Choice)

Grateful Dead - Workingman's Dead

Grateful Dead - American Beauty

f57385x93nv.jpgf70198bwo3n.jpg

d68622o2q9r.jpgd68623c3o0n.jpg

The Dead, well... it was the very first time I bought any Dead on Saturday, and I played all four in a row and enjoyed it a lot.

I skipped a few other earlier albums (the second and Aoxomoxoa) - they didn't do much for me upon first listen, too much psychedelia in there... give me the folkish stuff and I'll be happy! I did quite enjoy "Live/Dead" though... sounded similar to Big Brother and the Holding Company (backing Janis, I don't know anything else by them, if there is at all) to my ears... slightly trippier, a bit weirder (and with whimpish/whimsical drumming... not that that is a bad thing, and I'm sure in an actual concert they had more presence and volume...)

Welcome, those are all great records.

From there I would recommend Dick's Picks 8 - Harpur's College. The sound isn't the best but its from 1970 and the first disc contains one of their acoustic opening sets. Great stage banter also, nice little insight into the band. The 2nd and 3rd discs contains the only version of Dancing In The Street I like, one of those Dead songs where it starts off really bad and sounds like its going to go off the rails and then Jerry locks everybody in with his first solo and it takes off from there. You also get a great Dark Star.

Another good live acoustic one is Reckoning which is from 1980.

Anthem of the Sun is their signature statement from the early days, every bit as much as the great Live Dead. Side 1 is beyond heaven, but then try on some of that Alligator, then get the revised (and that is crucial) From the Vault volume 2. From there, get Ladies and Gentlemen the GD ('71 Fillmore East), and then as much live '72 as you can afford and legally download/stream. '72 is the true live apex (imho), it consistently astounds according to the 30-40 or so great recordings that survive. Don't forget Ace and Garcia, two really nice "solo" sets that were in some ways excellent studio sets by the larger group. Have fun!

Yes!, I second this recommendation given your "folkish" leanings as it's an acoustic set. Excellent sound and vocally Jerry & Bob sound really good (which wasn't always a strong suit.) WorldB3's recommendation of Dick's Pick 8 is also excellent given your preferences, but I just wanted to emphasize Reckoning as it sometimes is overlooked as it was recorded in 1980, and someone who likes the sound of (roughly) 1970 might not think to go there.

Yes!, I second this recommendation given your "folkish" leanings as it's an acoustic set. Excellent sound and vocally Jerry & Bob sound really good (which wasn't always a strong suit.) WorldB3's recommendation of Dick's Pick 8 is also excellent given your preferences, but I just wanted to emphasize Reckoning as it sometimes is overlooked as it was recorded in 1980, and someone who likes the sound of (roughly) 1970 might not think to go there.

Its worth it just for the version of Cassidy alone. I also love Bird Song and Ripple (its funny when Bobby's dog runs on stage and Jerry says "That's Otis" in the middle of Ripple).

I had the vinyl for years and just finally got around to picking up the 2 disc CD remaster with Bonus tracks. Well worth it.

Tempting, anybody have this stuff?

JGB band with Nicky Hopkins release coming out

Double-Disc Collection Includes Rare Early Performances Of The Group’s Original Lineup, Featuring Legendary Pianist Nicky Hopkins, Recorded Live In Berkeley, November 1975

LOS ANGELES — For Jerry Garcia, 1975 was a seminal year that found him splitting time between recording Blues for Allah with the Dead, directing The Grateful Dead Movie, and forming the Jerry Garcia Band–his long-running side project. JGB’s earliest days are the subject of a two-disc live collection recorded during that momentous year. THE JERRY GARCIA COLLECTION, VOL. 2: LET IT ROCK, JERRY GARCIA BAND, NOVEMBER 17 & 18, 1975, KEYSTONE BERKELEY will be available November 10 from Jerry Garcia Family/Rhino at physical retail outlets and at www.dead.net for a suggested list price of $19.98.

I have a NYE recording with that band. I would think that Nicky isn't as sloshed in November as he was on NYE! Worth a listen I'd say. I think I'm roped in by the free shipping offer if you get it with the latest Road Trips.

12/28/79!

A full show for those who require such things. I don't but this show always fit nicely on 2 discs so it's perfect for the series. It also is famous for being considered one of the last monster shows, even by those who are allergic to anything after 1974, 1977, take your pick in Dead snobbiness. :lol: So it's an excellent choice for the series as some got roped into the June Winterland '77 box and loved it despite not usually stretching out that late into Deaddom.

Glad to see they've "officialized" this show as it's a mighty good one. And now we no longer have to hear the complaints that they picked the wrong night for DP 5. :)

Edited by Quincy

Glad to see they've "officialized" this show as it's a mighty good one. And now we no longer have to hear the complaints that they picked the wrong night for DP 5. :)

DP5 is my favorite Brent recording, disc 2 is stellar, the new road trips sounds like a good one.

Thanks for the comments on the JGB stuff.

I have a NYE recording with that band. I would think that Nicky isn't as sloshed in November as he was on NYE! Worth a listen I'd say. I think I'm roped in by the free shipping offer if you get it with the latest Road Trips.

12/28/79!

A full show for those who require such things. I don't but this show always fit nicely on 2 discs so it's perfect for the series. It also is famous for being considered one of the last monster shows, even by those who are allergic to anything after 1974, 1977, take your pick in Dead snobbiness. :lol: So it's an excellent choice for the series as some got roped into the June Winterland '77 box and loved it despite not usually stretching out that late into Deaddom.

Hey I've still got plenty of other stuff to complain about. ;) HEAR THAT GDP?? I'M TALKING TO YOU TOO RHINO!! :rmad: