Albums you wish were on CD domestically...

Rooster_Ties

OK, maybe you've got it on CD, as part of a big box set, or now-long-out-of-print import, but what about your jazz buddies who don't have it, and can't get it without paying a mint for it on eBay???

OK, what albums do you really wish were not only on CD, but on CD in the U.S. (or in your part of the world), in a nice "reasonably" priced single-CD format (meaning not available only as part of some huge box set), so that you could easily tell other people "they gotta get this one!!!".

One that comes to mind is Joe Henderson's "Power To The People", which is probably my favorite non-Blue Note release from Joe.

Another one, that will be fixed soon (in October!!!) is Larry Young's "Mother Ship!!"

What albums should be easily available to everyone, for a decent price??? - that currently aren't!!!

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Tom,

"Power to the People" has been out for a long time on cd. I've had mine for close to 2 years. I'll trade you mine if you really want it...I haven't been listening to it.

My choice:

Reuben Wilson "On Broadway"

Other than that my 2 CTI issues that I prayed for are finally coming to disc in June...."Keep Your Soul Together" & "Polar AC" both by Freddie Hubbard.

Edited by undergroundagent

"Power to the People" has been out for a long time on cd. I've had mine for close to 2 years. I'll trade you mine if you really want it...I haven't been listening to it.

Hadn't realized that this had come out by itself?? :blink::o

I thought "Power to the People" was only available as part of the big Joe Henderson "Milestone" box set, or as as some sort of import (I thought I read from Italy - ??). Anyway, I'm pretty sure it isn't available as a regular domestic release from OJC/Fantasy. (It wasn't in their on-line catalog anyway.)

Appreciate the offer, undergroundagent. I already have the Joe "Milestone" box, but might take you up on it. Lemme think about it. (We can take it up through PM's or e-mail.)

The Johnny Hodges and Wild Bill Davis albums with Grant Green on guitar, Joe's Blues and Wings and Things.

also.. Andrew Hill - Andrew!

This assuming that the Mosaic Select for John Patton comes out this year, for "That Certain Feeling".

Another vote for Take Aim by Harold Land. And the BN debut albums of Clifford Jordan and Johnny Griffin. While we're on the subject, how about a Clifford Jordan Select? (OK, that's kind of off-topic, but still...)

Edited by BruceH

Ornette Coleman trio WHO'S CRAZY? (both volumes onĀ  import lps---never seen 'em on CD)

I've got the "Who's Crazy" set on CD, and there's a chance I might be willing to part with it. I haven't spun it in a long, long time. And if it's been that long, then I'm temped to consider whether I really need it or not.

I make no promises, but I'll give it a spin a few times over the next couple days, and see if I feel the desparate urge to keep it or not. (David, you've got right of first refusal, if I decide to part with it - that is if you're interested.)

Guest Mnytime

Cecil Taylor

Fly! Fly! Fly! Fly! Fly!

Live in the Black Forrest

Though I understand that these two Cecil Taylor's are under consideration to be released for the first time on CD by MPS but only in Europe I believe.

Several by Peter Brotzmann, Alexander Schlippenbach, Joe McPhee, etc...

From labels like FMP & Hathut to name a few.

Thelonious Monk It's Monk's Time

So, then, what's the scoop on Joe Henderson's "Power to the People"?? Is it only available as an import?? Is it available in a jewel-box?? - or (as I suspect), only in one of those god-awful "mini-LP" formats.

Of all of Joe's Milestone material, "Power..." really needs to be available domestically as a single-CD release. (IMHO), it's by far Joe's best Milestone release (and I like most of them), and one could argue that it's his best album after leaving Blue Note (or at least certainly one of them).

=====

Just answered my own question, at Dusty Groove...

Milestone/Universe (Italy), 1969 Condition: New Copy

One of the best, and certainly the rarest, of the Joe Henderson electric sides from the early 70s! The record features Joe hitting a wonderful warm spiritual vibe -- playing with an excellent group that features Herbie Hancock on electric piano, Ron Carter on bass, and Jack DeJohnette on drums -- plus additional trumpet by Mike Lawrence on 2 tracks. Tracks are long and flowing -- with a mode that's a perfect bridge between Joe's Blue Note work, and the spiritual soul jazz sound of the 70s! Titles include "Black Narcissus", "Isotope", "Afro-Centric", and "Power to The People". (Issued in a cool 5" gatefold cover!)

So, then, what's "Universe"?? And what else are they reissuing?? And why isn't Fantasy/OJC putting this out??

Edited by Rooster_Ties