Paris Jazz Clubs & Record Shops

mikeweil

Mike, when is that glorious event taking place? I'll look up jazz happenings around here for the dates you'll drop by.

A discussion from last year on Paris record stores still stands:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...42&hl=cd+stores

Of the Virgin and FNAC stores, I would recommend the Virgin store on the Champs-Elysees and the FNAC Montparnasse store at Rue de Rennes (others are OK but that Montparnasse one has the best jazz selection). But I find those stores a bit expensive.

If you come to Paris in August just be aware that most of the natives are away on holidays which means that a number of stores are either closed or have shorter opening hours. And that there are usually less interesting happenings in clubs.

Mike,

A few months ago I spent 5 days in Paris with my wife. We went to the Duc des Lombards to listen to Gordon Beck's trio and to the Sunset club to listen to Marc Copeland. We really enjoyed it and there is no doubt in my mind that I'll visit Paris again. For your convenience, here is a short list of the famous clubs in Paris.

Baiser Sal×™.. 28 Rue des Lombards, 75001 Paris tel: 01 42 33 37 31

Cithea Club.. 114 Rue Oberkampf, 75011 Paris. tel: 01 47 00 00 32

Duc des Lombards. 42 Rue des Lomards, 75001 Paris. tel: 01 42 33 22 88

Peit Journal Saint-Michel. 71 Boulevard Saint-Michel, 75005 Paris. tel: 01 43 26 28 59

Petit Opportun. 15 Rue des Lavandiטres-Ste-Opportune, 75001 Paris. tel: 01 42 36 01 36

Slow Club. 130 Rue de Rivoli, 75001 Paris. tel: 01 42 33 84 30

Sunset. 60 Rue des Lombards, 75001 Paris. tel: 01 40 26 46 60 [contact: Stephane Portet]

If I am wrong, I'm sure brownie can correct me.

Thanks for the replies! We'll arrive on th evening of August 6 and leave on Tuesday, August 10. Anybody else in town?

I know the Rue de Rennes store from my last visits 15 and 20 years ago ... there was a 2nd hand shop in the Rue des Écoles, Crocodisc, is it still there? Oh, I see on the other thread it is!

August in Paris - now what is in blossom right now? I am aware that it will be a relatively "lonely town"by then, but I don't mind. Our hotel is between Gare Montparnasse and Porte de Versailles - the latter makes me think of John Lewis' music, as does every Paris visit.

Edited by mikeweil

I was there recently and agree with the Virgin Records on the Champs although the Virgin under the Louvre had a couple of good things too. I also went to Jusseau Music (if I'm spelling that correctly). It's a used store and they have a lot of stuff. BTW, if you're interested in more than jazz, they have a lot of other stores about a block away. There was a thread awhile ago in the Recs forum so if you do a search you can get more recs. There was also another store about a block away in sort of a back street but it's closed on Mondays and that's unfortunately when I went there.

Edited by Brad

I know the Rue de Rennes store from my last visits 15 and 20 years ago ... there was a 2nd hand shop in the Rue des Écoles, Crocodisc, is it still there? Oh, I see on the other thread it is!

There are two Crocodisc stores at the Rue des Ecoles but the jazz store - Crocojazz - is now at 64 rue de la Montagne Sainte-Genevieve, a 5 minute walk from there. Phone is 0146347838. Check the opening hours in August. And it's closed on Mondays. That's probably the store Brad went to on that Monday!

The other store that Brad mentioned is Jussieu Music. The jazz store is at 5 rue Guy de la Brosse. Phone is 0143363254.

Great store that is open seven day a week but since it's Agust check their opening hours.

PM me before your arrival, OK?

Paris is real lovely right now. Hope August will spare us the murderous heat wave of last year!

although I had to much work the last two days and haven't found the time to get around much, I can tell you that Paris in August -beside shops closed- is great...

because its the only time in the year where you can now use a Taxi to get from A -> B and are not required to use the RER or Metro...

Ave. Hausmann to Gare du Nord in less then 15mins without breaking to many rules B) !!!

Cheers, Tjobbe

P.S. I'll be back in September :excited:

although I had to much work the last two days and haven't found the time to get around much, I can tell you that Paris in August -beside shops closed- is great...

because its the only time in the year where you can now use a Taxi to get from A -> B and are not required to use the RER or Metro...

Ave. Hausmann to Gare du Nord in less then 15mins without breaking to many rules B) !!!

Cheers, Tjobbe

P.S. I'll be back in September :excited:

Tjobbe, did you have problems with the Paris buses and subways system?

I happen to be a fervent user of the Carte Orange which enables me to travel from point A to point B quickly and ride the buses, subways and RER as many times as I need. I have travelled around and find the Paris transporations system very efficient and cheap!

oh no.. I like to use public transport and encouter this as much more reliable then using car (taxi or private) but ....... !!you do not see anthing while being underground!!

maybe you rate this aspect differently while living in that beautiful city all the time :D

Cheers, Tjobbe

Tjobbe, that's what buses are for.

For years, I was a subways man mostly until I decided to give the preference to the buses and enjoy the rides. Now when going to the office - very early in the day - I board the bus not far from Notre-Dame. The bus follows the Seine river goes past the National Assembly and crosses the Place de la Concorde to drop me off at the next station. The ride in the early morning dawn is just a glorious daily experience!

One of the bus drivers noticed I was walking for a couple of minutes from the bus stop right after the Concorde to take an adjacent street a little further down the street. One day he adressed me and asked very politely if I wanted him to let me off right at the street corner where I was walking to the office. Everytime he and I ride the same bus in the morning, he makes a special stop for me!

I'm sure no New York bus driver (I won't even dare suggest a German bus driver :D ) would do this!

I'm sure no New York bus driver (I won't even dare suggest a German bus driver :D ) would do this!

Nor would a Swedish one! I can tell, because I've done some bus driving myself. The Swedish driver would put down a request for an unscheduled stop in his customary straightforward manner, referring to reasons of security, and - should someone be willing to take the risk anyway - add that there would be passenger insurance complications and that he, the driver, would ultimately be blamed.

There you have it: the Swedish model! ;)

PM me before your arrival, OK?

Paris is real lovely right now. Hope August will spare us the murderous heat wave of last year!

Thanks a lot, brownie, I will!

Looking forward to a somewhat less crowded Paris ;) .... I won't mind the heat, and the way this summer has been so far, I'd rather look forward to it!