I just bought a Deagan 582 Vibraphone!

.:.impossible

Oh boy am I excited. I have been saving and waiting and researching this instrument for about four years. This week, the stars aligned, Walt Dickerson's Life Rays shown down upon me, and I won a 1960s Deagan 582 Traveler.

I can't wait for it to arrive! Here's a photo from the seller's home. These are the same bars that Milt Jackson and Walt Dickerson played. Both were actually playing an Aurora 1100, but the alloy is the same. The main difference in these instruments is the frame. The Aurora 1100 was designed for studio and symphonic work, whereas the traveler, the commander, and the like were all designed for portability. The Deagan sound is darker and warmer than the Musser sound that you would hear from Bobby Hutcherson and Gary Burton in the 1960s.

She's a beauty. She's my spaceship.

Edited by .:.impossible

Very cool indeed! You "won" it... on eBay, or...? Anyway, that's great. Four years is a long time to dream about it, so I can understand your excitement. Have you ever had a chance to play or listen to a Traveler model? Just curious- I know next to nothing about vibraphones. Any idea how rare the various models are? Again, just curious. Let us know how this story unfolds! :tup

"Hey vibes man, hey jazz man, play me your serenade

Any deeper blue and you're playin' in your grave

Save your notes, don't spend 'em on the blues boy

Save your notes, don't spend 'em on the darlin' yearlin' sharp boy

Straight for the church note ringin', vibes man sting a trash can

Listen to your junk man

Listen to your junk man

Listen to your junk man

He's singin', he's singin', he's singin'

All dressed up in satin, walkin' past the alley

He's singin', singin', singin', singin' "

congratulations cary! you been after this since the BNBB days. :tup

Yeah, I won it on ebay. There are usually one or two auctions going on each week. Deagans are highly sought after and bidding can get out of hand. Timing was perfect on this one. I think people are away on vacation, etc. and I got in on this for a very reasonable price. I haven't actually played the Traveler before, but I have played Deagan bars. The bars are uniform from model to model, depending on the era. The model name generally refers to the frame. In this case, Traveler refers to the portability and breakdown design of the frame. The variable speed motor was refurbished by Gilberto Serna at Century Mallet in Chicago, who was the master tuner at Deagan before they closed their doors. Century services Deagans, sells parts, etc. They are actually located in the old Deagan factory. Here’s a link to their website, if you are interested:

Century Mallet

I envy the fun you'll be having!

Me too, seriously. If I hadn't used up all my "puppy eyes" on my wife when buying guitars, I might have thought about going after one of these myself. ^_^ Nah, I'd probably have to get a cello first, but a vibraphone might be next in line!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Looks like it's missing some bars. :unsure:

Better inquire with the seller.

Nooooo, it is not missing any bars. The keyboard is laid out exactly like a piano. This vibe is a 3 octave vibe F to F.

Also IMHO, the Deagan is not "darker" than Musser, somebody really got that wrong. Deagan is a very "alive sound", a "sweet" sound and if you play jazz, it is a perfect fit.

:cool:

Bruce

I have a 582 and lost a 1100 in the San Bernardino fires in 2003.

The Deagan sound is darker and warmer than the Musser sound that you would hear from Bobby Hutcherson and Gary Burton in the 1960s.
Congratulations! I'm pretty envious.

Are you sure about your comparisons?

I played Musser (and studied off and on with Burton)

and I always thought that the Deagan sound

was actually brighter - usually a bit too bright for my taste actually,

but I did all the wrong things to vibes anyway. :P

Rod

Well, having lived with them for over a year now, I would say that the upper octave is extreme, but the lower and middle octave have a lot of depth that I would not describe as "bright". Maybe I got it wrong. The upper octave SCREAMS if I'm playing with med-hard mallets! Maybe that is how other vibists describe these bars as bright! I've found that the mallets make as much of an impact on my tone as anything. The bars sound very different playing with a medium mallet vs. a medium hard mallet.

I always thought I'd play with the motor running, but I've really been playing more without vibrato than I have with.

Bruce, do you play with vibrato most of the time?

• 2 years later...

Well, having lived with them for over a year now, I would say that the upper octave is extreme, but the lower and middle octave have a lot of depth that I would not describe as "bright". Maybe I got it wrong. The upper octave SCREAMS if I'm playing with med-hard mallets! Maybe that is how other vibists describe these bars as bright! I've found that the mallets make as much of an impact on my tone as anything. The bars sound very different playing with a medium mallet vs. a medium hard mallet.

I always thought I'd play with the motor running, but I've really been playing more without vibrato than I have with.

Hey impossible,

How are the Deagans? Just bought a set myself... Deagan 510 Performer...., should be here in a week or so I'd guess. Can't wait.

Vibes are such a cool instrument. Congrats!

I've been playing more piano / electric piano lately, when it comes to practice time anyway. It's nice to approach a different instrument for a bit and then come back to the B3.

I agree whole heartedly Jim. As much as the B3 will always be first and foremost in my mind, as far as playing it...it's easy to get caught up in the stylistic niches of your hero's licks, tricks and approach. Plus, I just dig the vibes and always have...the first organ record I had was Tough Duff with Lem Winchester on vibes...those two instruments have a very symbiotic relationship. Also, like you know, you get so caught up playing basslines on organ, that it's nice to approach it from another angle like the fender bass. Bought Carol Kaye's little instruction video from her website and it's pretty great! Anyway, got to get out and stretch the mind muscles a bit in unfamiliar terrain.

Congratulations impossible and SS! I haven't noticed this thread before.

For the past couple of years the vibes has been my favorite jazz instrument.

I admit to knowing nothing about the subject, so correct me if I am wrong. But I read somewhere that the correct name of the instrument is vibraharp, and that vibraphone is the trademarked brand name of the Musser vibraharp. Anybody know about this?

I just noticed this thread in which I never answered your question. Sorry, it must have been during one of my "illnesses" and I was not on the computer much. Anyway,

Hi Impossible, how you doing? You are probably playing up a storm by now. Your question, YES, I play with the vibrato ALL the time. I would never be without it unless the motor was burned out. I'm real old school, Milt Jackson type. The vibes are just so pretty with that vibrato and kind of flat to me without it. Yes, mallets can really make the difference, especially on the smaller bar type vibes. It is now Jan 2009, Obama is President and all my musical abilities have gone down the tubes. So I trying to get the energy to "restart" again. I've even forgotten some chords and chord types. Man, I'm rusty, but give me seven months practice.

Do you have anything we can listen to??

:bwallace2: Pistons are average this year.

BruceW