72% of my music is by dead people...

Hardbopjazz

I have a database where I keep track of all my music. One field is birth date of musicians. I decided to add a new field caledl Date_of_death. When I run the query, it first returned a number of 83%. I decieded to remove all the classical music from the query and just leave in jazz recordings, the number dropped to 72%. Wow, I can't ever see that number ever going down, just up. I have to begin listening to more new musicians.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

..........add to that 72% another 10-15% who aren't feeling so good..........

So true. I saw the Heath brothers last night, and Percy wasn't there. Someone aked Jimmy Heath where's Percy, Jimmy said he was under the weather.Hopefully that just means something minor.

I am planning to see the Heath Brothers again the Wednesday, hopefull he'll be there. They will be at Grant's tomb. A free concert, located at 116 street in NYC.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

Another interesting calculation would be "How much of your music collection was recorded between 1955-1967?"

I'm guessing 75%+ of my collection is from those Golden Years.

Shows you where hard bop ranks with me...and many other collectors here. :lol:

So if I agree with what you said, and I was born in 1958, will I be dead soon?

NAH, This music will live on FOREVER. You've got at least another 40 yrs to enjoy it. :g

Isn't it strange that this 10-15 yr period of music stands out so strongly in 85+ yr history of jazz.

IMHO, although the 70's till now produced some memorable music, it just doesn't compare.

It can't be just me-born in 1953-but we've got folks here born in the 70's and 80's, who get just as excited as I do when unreleased material, i.e. the recent Andrew Hill Connoisseur, is found/released.

Maybe that is why Criss Cross is so admired for their hard boppish new Releases.

Edited by jazzkrow

Most of mine are dead people. I have not done the research to get to the exact number or percentage, but the musicians who appear most frequently in my database are Lee Morgan, Paul Chambers, Wynton Kelly and Art Blakey. All dead.

The unfortunate thing is that the jazz lifestyle caused so many of them to die so young. What a waste!!

Regarding the question of what percentage of your records are between 1955 and 1967, I did not check to see how many were pre-1955. I do have some Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Monk and even Blakey prior to 1955. But the 1967 date tells more about one's collection being concentrated in the era prior to the decline of our hardbop heroes. I have 503 jazz CD's and only 41 were recorded after 1967. That means 92% were pre-1968!

Tom

I imagine that my collection is similar, though there's no way I could calculate a percentage like you guys have. In my case, I became interested in jazz in 1966, and over the years I have been purchasing the music I would have liked to have purchased when I was young! So with the passing of time, I'm still here, but they're not.

• 1 year later...

Well, I checked my highly detailed database, and fully 100% of the jazz musicians in my collection are dead!

So I take it you don't have either of the organissimo CDs?!? FOR SHAME!!!

:P

I don't mind listening to dead guys play there own music, and I especially enjoy hearing living people play their own music . It's the live ones trying to play like the dead ones that bugs the piss out of me.

Bingo.