Cecil Taylor w/ Lyons, Rivers

AmirBagachelles

I am trying to determine whether the Shandar LPs are worth 2-3x the cost of the Prestige box. Does anybody have an informed view on this? Were the LPs (either set) materially better sounding than the CDs I have seen from time to time? Also, the Shandar LPs were both boxed and released individually; are they of the same vinyl in terms of quality and vintage? Thanks

I've the Shandar boxes of TAYLOR, the two separate albums of SUN RA and the double album of AYLER who comes after the realised of the single AYLER records.

The print of those album (and, except the AYLER, the sound quality) has never been of great quality (surface noise and all of that.)

But they are pretty listenable and they can't seem to degrade throught time.

So, if I was you, I will go for the SHANDAR.

And, in box or individually, I'm pretty shure they are of the same vinyl quality.

I recently wash all of them with my dedicated wahsmachine that I recently bought.

And, if the surface noise stay about the same, the sound as improve quite a bit (he is freshier and more accurate.)

Thanks Chuck. I've since found a site with details on Shandar, looks like the box came first, tinted LP covers a bit later. I've posted shrugs the Prestige and 2-fer vinyl maven with these questions, I hope to hear from him.

The Shandar single discs from the Cecil Taylor concerts came out first. I attended the Saint-Paul de Vence concerts and was looking for any recorded evidence as soon as it became available.

The box came later!

This was just one of the gigs I caught in that glorious summer of 1969.

CT was giving concerts at Saint-Paul de Vence a couple of days after Miles Davis played at the Antibes-Juan les Pins festival a few days earlier. THAT Miles Davis quintet with Wayne Shorter, Chick Corea, Dave Holland and Jack deJohnette!

And after these French Riviera concerts, everybody seems to have rushed back to Paris where so many concerts and record dates were happening at the same time. Don Cherry, Archie Shepp, the AEC, Grachan Moncur, Alan Silva, Philly Joe Jones, Hank Mobley, Steve Lacy, Sonny Murray, Anthony Braxton, Jeanne Lee and on and on...

Call me blase now ;)

• 2 years later...

I have the individual Shandars and they've always sounded very nice to me.

Volume 1 is 10.011 (same catalog number as the box).

Volume 2 is 83.508

Volume 3 is 83.509

They switched to the 83.000 series midway through the label's career, and renumbered some titles, but I've never seen 10.000 numbers on the second two Cecils. All this is to say that I too always assumed the box came first, but I guessed wrong.

I have the individual Shandars and they've always sounded very nice to me.

Volume 1 is 10.011 (same catalog number as the box).

Volume 2 is 83.508

Volume 3 is 83.509

They switched to the 83.000 series midway through the label's career, and renumbered some titles, but I've never seen 10.000 numbers on the second two Cecils. All this is to say that I too always assumed the box came first, but I guessed wrong.

Volume 1 also came out as 83.507...

This was just one of the gigs I caught in that glorious summer of 1969.

CT was giving concerts at Saint-Paul de Vence a couple of days after Miles Davis played at the Antibes-Juan les Pins festival a few days earlier. THAT Miles Davis quintet with Wayne Shorter, Chick Corea, Dave Holland and Jack deJohnette!

And after these French Riviera concerts, everybody seems to have rushed back to Paris where so many concerts and record dates were happening at the same time. Don Cherry, Archie Shepp, the AEC, Grachan Moncur, Alan Silva, Philly Joe Jones, Hank Mobley, Steve Lacy, Sonny Murray, Anthony Braxton, Jeanne Lee and on and on...

Call me blase now ;)

I can only imagine...thanks, Brownie....why can't Hanks do a movie 'bout this, instead of Terminal?

I've got the Prestige box of this. The quality is pretty poor. Jazz View CDs seem always to be (poor) LP dubs and are to be avoided, IMO. I wish there was a good CD version of this.

Don't count too much on this. Most of the Shandar master tapes were ruined in a flood that damaged the place where they were stored.

Better hand on to those Shandar vinyls if you're lucky enough to have kept them!