Blue Note Biography on sale

Not sure what the general reaction to the Blue Note Records: Biography by Richard Cook is but I decided to purchase it when it went on sale for $7 (plus shipping). The site is www.salesbooks.com

This site occasionally has interesting jazz and classical CDs at good prices, though lately it has been flooded with Past Perfect CDs. This might also be a good place to get the Proper Box sets, since they have nearly all of them in stock.

Edited by ejp626

You can also go to www.daedalusbooks.com - same store.

I'm bummed - I go there about once a month and I've been keeping my eye out for a cheap copy of this (flawed, but still worth having) book. When it came out in paperback, I caved and got a copy at Borders' for 20% off. Now I see I could have gotten the hard back for cheaper.

I've found some great bargains at daedalus over the years. But recently, as ejp626 said, they have been flooded with Past Perfect crap.

Bertrand.

I saw the Past Perfect CD's by the ton at the Daedalus site. I may be the only person in the world who has never heard of them before.

Can anyone fill me in on what they are?

Thanks for any info.

Tom

They look like another European public domain label. Why they are crap compared to the other PD labels, I do not know. The Lou Donaldson CD from Blue Note 5021 and 5055 is a new one to me. :tdown Also, I wonder why they are selling these in the USA?

Edited by wolff

• 4 weeks later...

Bought the book at Daedalus -- marginal research at best. I found more interesting things about Blue Note from the Grant Breen bio, which isn't saying much.

BTW, they seem to have been getting OOP Muse cds, so they may come up on their website. But more often than not, it is only available in the store. I have found a lot of good things from going there.

The Blue Note bio is being remaindered widely. You might be able to pick it up at a local bookstore, or at any of the remainder dealers. Worth $6.98 in my estimation.

The Sue Mingus bio is also being remainder at about the same price. I'm not sure about getting this one. Any opinions? I have the Brian Priestley bio and the Santoro.

I checked out Daedalus. Bought Duke Pearson "Prairie Dog," Don Byron's now OOP "Romance with the Unseen," and Steve Grossman's "Time to Smile"-- all I think $5.98 or $6.98. I also "splurged" and got the Andy Bey "American Song" at $12.95.

I passed on the Past Perfect stuff, just on general principle. That Lou Donaldson reissue looks like a flat-out ripoff of Blue Note, and I don't want to abet that type of activity. I suspect most, if not all of the PP reissues, are dubs off of original label material.