music + girlfriend: success story!

take5

I am currently on a major box set kick, collecting box sets (mostly jazz), even if it replicates some of the CDs I already have. I just love the way they look, feel, the exhaustive material, etc.

I also recently started spending time with a lovely young lady who has shown tolerance and even appreciation for my music insanity. As most 22 yr olds (I'm 26, so don't worry, nothing creepy going on here), she is uneducated about jazz music (here is where I would normally put my rant about how under-appreciated jazz is, but I'll keep this thread positive).

Here's how serendipity comes into play: as I acquire these sets, I need to get rid of some CDs with repeated music. Normally I'd sell them or trade them to spun.com, getting an average of $2 a CD. Instead, I'm just giving them all to her. The timing is excellent: I have great CDs to give and she is building a great music library for free. I also love the fact this music is being enjoyed by someone I care about. That's worth a lot more than the money.

Thank goodness for amazon marketplace and ebay, allowing me to do all this without completely breaking the bank.

Here are the box sets I've been getting and the CDs she got from me as a result:

Miles Davis- all 6 of those metal spine Columbia sets (which look so cool on my shelf)

She gets: Milestones, 'Round About Midnight, Kind of Blue, Porgy & Bess, Miles Ahead, Sketches of Spain, ESP, Miles Smiles, Nefertiti, Miles in the Sky, Sorceror, Filles De Killemanjaro, Water Babies, In A Silent Way, Bitches Brew, Jack Johnson- all remastered except the last (I don't think a remastered Jack Johnson has been released yet)

So it's a pretty solid Miles Davis collection. At some point I'll burn her copies of Birth of the Cool and some of the pre-Columbia quintet music (album titles ending with an apostrophe) to complete the picture.

John Coltrane- Complete Atlantic and Impulse! Studio Quintet box sets

She gets: My Favorite Things, Ole Coltrane, Coltrane Jazz, Coltrane Sound, Coltrane (Impulse!), Crescent, Ballads, Chim Chim Chiree, Transition, Sun Ship, First Meditations

To compliment this bounty, I included a CD-R of A Love Supreme and Giant Steps (without bonus tracks, they all fit on one disc) as well as a warning about 'Trane's later music. I could not in all good conscious give someone the majority of 'Trane's peak material without somehow including these two albums. However, my Giant Steps CD is the MFSL gold which of course I want to keep, and my A Love Supreme CD is the 2-CD new version with the live stuff and I of course have the SACD, and ain't no way I'm parting with any of that.

Ella Fitzgerald- complete songbooks

She gets: Cole Porter and Irving Berlin songbooks

Charlie Parker- Complete Savoy & Dial Sessions

She gets: Yardbird Suite (a solid 2 CDs compilation)

Paul Simon- remastered albums, box

She gets: Paul Simon, There Goes Rhymin' Simon, Still Crazy After All These Years, Graceland, Rhythm of the Saints, You're the One

She also got my copy of Charles Mingus' Carnegie Hall concert because I acquired the MFSL gold CD, and Sarah Vaughan's s/t album because I had two copies due to a screw up with an order.

What I'm planning on getting/giving:

Charles Mingus- Complete Atlantic recordings

I ordered this, but it came without the slipcase, so I sent it back, waiting for a new one, etc. When I get it, she will get pretty much all the music on that set: Pithecanthropus Erectus, Oh Yeah, The Clown, Tonight At Noon, Antibes concert.

Mingus is my ultimate music idol, so that should be fun.

Grant Green w/ Sonny Clark- Mosaic box set

I believe this OOP Mosaic I won on ebay contains all the music that's on the double CD from Blue Note, though I haven't checked. If so, the lucky lady will get that set, which is amongst my favorite music outside of the Big Holy 5 (Monk, Bird, 'Trane, Miles, Mingus).

The rest I haven't ordered but am planning to at some point:

Duke Ellington- Complete RCA Victor

She would get the 3 CD set that's compiled from this 24 CD monster. Still waiting to find a good deal on it.

Bille Holiday- Columbia set

She would get my 2 CD compilation.

Ornette Coleman- Complete Atlantic

She would get: Free Jazz, Change of the Century, Shape of Things To Come

I am also considering the Herbie Hancock complete Blue Note set, but don't know how that sounds compared to the individual CDs. Any opinions are appreciated.

On top of all this, she gets a 120 CD rack that I obviously no longer need.

Yesterday she IMs me to tell me she loves Sun Ship

Our first date was to see the Joe Lovano Qt (with Hank Jones). Last weekend we saw Ahmad Jamal play in a park.

Oh, and she ain't to hard on the eyes neither. And because she studies science, I was able to explain compression and why so many recordings suck (sound waves, amplitude, etc are not foreign concepts to her) Are you all jealous yet?

Normally I never push my music on people, but if they're interested, I love it when people get exposed to the greatest art in the world. And at least my collecting obsessions are doing some other good as well.

His and her jazz collections. Nice.

Congratulations ... sounds like you've got a cool girl.

Usually girlfriends turn a deaf ear to jazz and get all worked up if you buy more than one or two jazz CDs per month. Mosaics and box sets have been known to trigger meltdowns in the past even though I had money left over for dinner, flowers, movies, etc.

Hooha, nice arrangement.

Best of luck.

You might want to work a night-out w/ live music routine into your relationship.

Our first date was to see the Joe Lavano Qt (w/ Hank Jones) and two weekends ago we saw Ahmad Jamal. She's gonna be living in Boston and I'll be in NY, but we'll obviously visit a lot and have to jazz scenes to play with.

It's nice being able to combine dating and concerts, instead of having to choose each night.

I placed an order for the Ornette Coleman box set, so she'll be getting my individual CDs. That should be interesting...